- advertisement -

For Newbies - Dealing with Halloween candy

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Oct 8, 2013.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Since it is quickly approaching Halloween, I thought I would share with the newbies the idea I got off of this forum for dealing with Halloween candy.

My six year old (type 1) goes trick-or-treating with his big sister as usual.

He can pick out a few pieces of candy to have on Halloween night - bolused for - of course.

Then he TRADES IN his candy for a toy. We usually hit Toys R Us the following night and let him pick out a toy (within reason of course) and we take the candy.

THis is a hit with him - and he doesn't miss the candy at all. I usually send it to dad's work and get it out of the house. :)

I think he is going to be a SWAT TEAM guy this year.:) Got to get the costume!

2. Mwills27

Mwills27 Approved members

We do the same but for cash. Normally about $20 bucks. My son is a bit older than yours though.

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

Our first year was only a few weeks after dx so our heads were still spinning. ;) We did the "candy buy back" and got the grandparents involved so he made out like a bandit that year. After that first year, however, he's kept his candy and we just bolus accordingly. But between you and me, I hate Halloween. Always have (pre-D) and always will. :p

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I agree but when you are so newly dx'd, especially within the first month or so, Halloween can be a real challenge (or at least it was for us). This thread was for those newly dx'd. ;)

6. Lee

Lee Approved members

Agreed! If you don't let your kids have a bite or two during trick or treating, then don't worry about T1. But if it is normal behavior to wallow in in the candy fest, then enjoy the candy fest and don't let T1 stop you!

7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I'd choose the lego death star http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=12168070

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We did the trade things for years. More so because I just got tired of the candy being around all the time and I'd be the one indulging. We'd let each kid pick out a dozen pieces (small stuff we counted as 2 for 1) and then each day we'd incorporate into their lunch. I'd pick out stuff that would be good for lows and then we'd get rid of the rest. Then, the next day we'd go to Target and they would get to pick out a Halloween costume for dress up.

All I can say to new families is it is only one day. If your child is on a set plan, talk to the doctor about fitting in candy. It may mean more shots for your kid, but let them know up front. We always find that my daughter goes low on Halloween so having all that candy around while she is walking is very handy!

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's probably worth taking into account how important Halloween is to your individual kid. If it's always been your kid's number one favorite holiday you might handle it differently than if it's really not a big deal for them.

10. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Ah, yes - the ol' toy or cash switcheroo!
    The first holiday after diagnosis is difficult (Ours was Easter). It gets easier as you go along and I wish the newbies the best ~ you'll get through it.

Two years ago, there was a surprise snowstorm and Halloween was cancelled. Last year was Hurricane Sandy; our town was in the dark for seven days and Halloween was cancelled.

This year DS said he's going 'over the top' with Halloween and really splurging. Unless the next natural disaster strikes, I'll let him enjoy (without going too crazy)! They are only little once; it will probably be a long night of multiple corrections, but it's worth it for him to have a fun time. He loves Halloween (so do I)!

11. Christopher

I agree, but my comment and posting of the carbs for candy was for new and "old timers" alike. I also think that for the newly dx, even though it may be difficult, it is important for them to realize that they don't have to limit the amount of candy their child eats on one night, just because the child has diabetes.

12. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

We are newly diagnosed, but I haven't really worried too much about this. DD has never been too much of a candy eater and enjoys the act of trick or treating more than the actual eating. All I know is that I'll have to give the candy away so I won't eat it.

We are on NPH and Humalog so there's no real bolusing for eating the candy I guess.
    :mad:

13. bisous

bisous Approved members

I agree that it depends on the actual kid. My nephew is highly motivated by earning money and his parents pay him to trade in his candy. He loves it!

DS1 on the other hand LOVES candy. So what we've done is let the kids have a night of candy indulgence (Halloween). They can eat and eat and enjoy themselves. Surprisingly, Halloween candy isn't nearly as hard to bolus for as a lot of other types of foods!

Then they turn their candy into us and it becomes part of the "movie night" stash. We keep all the candy they get during the year and put it in a bag. The kids get to eat it for movie night on Friday nights. They can select 3 pieces each Friday. That way, the kids still get to keep their candy, but I can manage how much they eat. It also regulates how OFTEN they eat it!

I know it wouldn't work for all families but it works GREAT for us and it has been a really fun family tradition.

14. Mish

Mish Approved members

That's a really good point. In my case, my son never really was a big fan of candy or halloween. So when he was little, he'd go trick or treating, eat a few pieces of candy and then never touch his bag again.

I didn't have to buy them back, or trade them, or anything.

Lego deathstar was reserved for an MRI. LOL.

15. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We're another who don't find Halloween candy particularly challenging to bolus for.

My kids eat a few pieces on Halloween night. Then a piece after supper for a couple of weeks. Then maybe a piece in their lunch for a week. And then they forget about it/don't like the remainder and it goes in the garbage. They seem to like the collecting of it more than the actual eating of it.

16. babyBluiZ

babyBluiZ Approved members

Thank you for the idea's! My DD has never really been big on candy! Shes only 4, but I was afraid this year she would want it all just because she canya! I'm going to tell the qhole family to raid theie piggy banks for exchange! Shes so much more interested in coins!

17. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

This our first Halloween. We plan on allowing Chris to eat candy. I don't want him to miss out on anything because he has diabetes. Chris is 7 and Halloween is a BIG deal to him.

18. Christopher

Great attitude. One thing that I found was that as the kids are walking (running) to each house to get candy, they like to eat some as they are going house to house. I usually didn't bolus for this as the activity of running around caused her to go low. So it kind of balanced out.

19. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

Lego is way over priced in all seriousness though. The death star at least supposedly takes like a week or two to build. I have bought my nephew a 300$ set that was done in a day.

My nephew has thousands of dollars worth of lego.

He got a kre-o set recently and said it was pretty decent.

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's also a lot easier to manage a peanut butter cup than a bag of skittles. Not all candy is created equal.