- advertisement -

? for CGMS users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lorraine, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Lorraine

Lorraine Approved members

This is probably a stupid quesion, but....

From a symposium I went to, I have the understanding that a D person's BG will spike after eating because the timing of food is quicker than the timing of insulin - assuming of course you bolus (pump users) right before eating.

I'm guessing then that if you use a CGMS, it would always alarm shortly after meal time because of the spike.

Is this actually what you find to happen? Or am I missing something obvious?

Lorraine

2. Rachel

Rachel Approved members

It depends on what you set the high alarm to ... for example, we now have our guy's set at 220 which handles most of the breakfast spikes (when the wind isn't blowing, no growth spurt, no cold etc.). For awhile we had it set for 250 for the bfast spike but then (when I remembered) would change it to 220 after the spike had passed. I often will lower the high alarm to 160 at night so I can catch a rising trend earlier.

So, all that to say, it is very flexible.

3. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We set Hailey's high alarm pretty high to prevent this. I think it is at 300 right now and VERY seldom does it go off now. We do bolus before eating and the few times she bolused after eating is always went off.

4. Isabelle's Mom

Isabelle's Mom Approved members

There are no stupid questions!!:) As for the post-meal spike, we will occasionally hear an alarm after a meal, but we reduce the spike by prebolusing by about 20 minutes, even if it is just a partial.This is especially important for breakfast which is most peoples' most "spikey" meal because of morning insulin resistance.

If I expect a spike, I adjust the alarm range. I usually set the high range a bit higher, say 280, at daycare just so it doesn't alarm. When she's with me I tighten it up a bit.

5. MLH

MLH Approved members

We have the high alarm set for 180 (and the snooze set for 1hr) and prebolus at least 20 min. before a meal. If she does alarm, which she just about always does, we watch it and give more insulin as needed. It is far from perfect, but it works for us! Plus we have the hour reminder which helps us stay on top of it.