- advertisement -

For Canadians, some tax credit questions...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BCmom, Dec 25, 2011.

1. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

I have a few questions about the disability tax credit.
    Do we need to resubmit the paperwork every three years?
    Can adult type 1's continue to apply for the credit? What I mean to ask is, once my daughter is 19 is she able to clain the disability tax credit on her own income tax?

Have any of you set up a registered disability savings account for your child?

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

We just re-qualified and the notice states it is good for 2011-2014 tax years after which we will have to refile a new Disability Tax Credit Certificate for 2015. "In the meantime, you must tell us if your dependant's medical condition improves." :rolleyes:

"Since you are claiming the disability amount for a dependant, you must inform us if he/she is not longer residing with you, or if you are no longer supporting him/her in one or more of the basic necessites of life (e.g. food, shelter, or clothing).

It did not mention an age, just dependency. I believe she will apply for herself once independent.

You need to bring in the forms to you endo to have filled out. Our clinic will only do it during a regularly scheduled appt. Here is the form:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/t2201/t2201-11e.pdf

Have you also looked into the Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP).
    www.disabilitysavings,gc.ca
    Generous government support if you can afford to sock away some money for the future.

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Up until now I've had to apply and PROVE I still have Type 1 every 5 years with the work it entails(no food prep or carb counting OR Dr visits)and that it takes more then 14 hours a week. Just reapplied a few months ago, haven't heard yet!

4. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

So Connie is it possible to have Type 1 diabetes and not qualify?

And Helen have you done this Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP)? I have been looking into this and even for low income families there are bonds the goverment will contribute so you don't have to contribute anything! So I was wondering if there are any low income type 1 young adults out there... it they can apply for themselve? And start this saving process without even having to contribute anything to it?

I know that it doesn't apply in our case but it got me thinking. The other caveat is that if you ever do not qualify for the disability tax credit that they can take away all the governement grant money that was contributed... which is why I am asking could that happen to a type 1 diabetic? Could they ever not qualify?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  5. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

My son has received the disability tax credit as a child and as an adult. He also has a RDSP. Here is a great site that will walk you through the process of applying for the disablity tax credit and has some great info -
    http://www.diabetesadvocacy.com/DTC.htm

6. Connie(BC)Type 1

Yes I know of Adults who haven't qualified, I write a 5 page letter with my application, and my family doc signs off on it!

7. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Thank-you Mary Jane!

Connie why don't they qualify? And why doesn't your doctor just sign it off the same as our endriconologist does for Emma? Why is it different.

BTW Hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, and sorry to be bringing this up just now. But I have a one week break from school and I am trying to figure out the nuts and bolts of this before the new year. If Emma qualifies I may be able to get family to contribute towards it for Emmas BD and such.

8. Connie(BC)Type 1

I still fill out the tax form, but also do the letter, as an Adult you have to prove you still have Type 1 and what it entails. My family doc signs it, I just drop it off, with a stamped envelope, he signs it, his secretary, copies it for my file, and faxes me a signed copy for my records, and she mails it in.

9. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

"if the beneficiary of an RDSP that is a specified disability savings plan dies or ceases to be a DTC-eligible individual, the issuer of the RDSP shall repay to the Minister, within the period set out in the issuer agreement, any portion of an amount paid into the RDSP as a grant or bond within the 10-year period preceding the time of the death or cessation that remains in the RDSP at that time."

This website has all the links you are looking for.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/disability_issues/disability_savings/index.shtml

There is a risk the government will not qualify Type 1's, but I don't see a downside to investing in one now.

10. BCmom

BCmom Approved members

Helen did you sign your son up for a RDSP?
    I just received a response from childrens that said type 1's usually apply for tax credits until 15 and then they stop???
    Huh? I just fired another question back. Is there a problem with claiming the tax credit and getting a drivers licence? Why would the Childrens hospital say this. I am getting so confused.

Connie do you drive?

11. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Yes, I do have my daughter signed up for a RDSP. She is almost 16 and was just re-approved for a disability tax credit certificate until 2015 when we must re-apply.

The information you are getting does not make sense to me. This program is still very new and it is hard to find people who understand it well. I would call the government directly and ask for the RDSP department The disability is based on the number of hours type 1's have to spend each week managing diabetes. The only age restriction I saw is this one:

"If you are a Canadian resident under age 60 and are eligible for the Disability Tax Credit (Disability Amount), you are eligible for an RDSP".

12. Connie(BC)Type 1

No, I quit driving, for me driving with D is like driving with a cell phone, not something I agree with. I did drive,(quit when I lost my right eye, even though I'm still legal) but pulled over hourly, if not more, to test my BG.