- advertisement -

For any Albertans interested in government funding for the pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JJsMomma, Oct 20, 2009.

1. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

We contacted a number of political leaders here in Alberta regarding this subject and we received word back that they are going to table our letter at the next legislative assembly. They mentioned that 'it was stories like ours' that have the greatest impact on the outcomes of these decisions so I am encouraging all Albertans dealing with Type I to contact this office to share their story.....PM me if you want the email address of where to send your story.

2. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

I am a firm believer that more people need to speak up to get things changed.

Please let us know any updates.

3. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Great job! We in Ontario are very blessed with full funding and I only hope other Provinces follow suit.

Man, back to the school issues in this country...a small group of people can have an impact and I'm dragging my feet on this one but you have inspired me once again.

4. TripleThreat

TripleThreat Approved members

I can write up a family letter or individual letters

5. JJsMomma

reminds me of that saying - Anyone who thinks that they are too small to make a difference has never tried to fall asleep with a mosquito in the room.
    Christie Todd Whitman

6. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

Very true my friend...love that saying.

7. JJsMomma

Dear Dr Swann,

I would like to take a moment to introduce my family to you and tell you about a recent experience that has dealt a swift and heavy blow to our every day existence.

I have always been an active and contributing member of society. I?ve lived in Alberta my entire 37 years and my husband has been here for the past 11 years. We have enjoyed what Alberta has to offer and have given back to it in many ways. We have been blessed with a wonderful and beautiful family?our one son, JJ, is about to turn 20 months old and our other son, Kai, is now 11 days old. We live healthy lives, make healthy choices and enjoy the world we have created for ourselves.

September 10, 2009 our then 18 month old son JJ was diagnosed as a Type I Diabetic. No one in our family has Diabetes. Not Type I nor Type II. Sadly he was in a critical state of Diabetic Ketoacidosis (DKA) when I took him into the Alberta Children?s Hospital which for him required a 3 day stay while we were inundated with literature, training, and several medical procedures to assist in getting his blood gas levels and blood glucose levels to within what is considered a ?normal and non-life threatening? range. That day our lives changed irrevocably, as with this disease his body attacked and destroyed all normal and healthy cells in his pancreas which regulated his insulin levels in essence leaving him insulin dependant for life. Insulin is not a cure for the disease?it is merely life support. My husband and I are his primary caregivers and by default, we are now his pancreas.

?Canada has the 3rd highest incidence rate of Type I (Juvenile) Diabetes in the world, in children 14 years and younger. Type I Diabetes occurrence rate is rising by 3 - 5% per year in Canada; the greatest rise occurs in 5 - 9 year olds? ?www.JDRF.ca

Usually, but not always, striking before the age of 30, Type I Diabetes takes a harsh toll on people. Not only will they be insulin-dependent for life, but devastating life-limiting and life-shortening complications such as blindness, amputation, heart disease and stroke, kidney failure and even death are an ever-present threat if it is not treated properly on a daily basis. Type I Diabetes is destructive both to children and to childhood. Controlling the disease requires 24/7/365 vigilance and imposes a grueling regimen. It includes eating a carefully calculated diet, checking blood glucose levels several times each day and night (6-10) by lancing a finger and insulin injections (6-8 times a day and night) or delivery of insulin through a pump just to stay alive. It means children and families living by the clock, day and night, for the rest of their lives.?

No daycare will accept my son because of the liability it represents and because of the strict regime that is imposed on him due to the fact that we are forced to do manual calculations of carbs consumed, strict observation to diet and ongoing doses of insulin by syringe. While there is currently no cure for Type I Diabetes, there are certain devices which make it easier to handle and live a life of normalcy. An Insulin Pump is one of those devices. Many provinces in Canada provide funding for these life-saving and glucose-stabilizing devices however Alberta is not one of them. Not only does this not make sense from a future health care point of view, but also a fiscal point of view as I am forced to stay at home to care for him and not able to return to work. Provincial funding for Insulin Pumps would change our lives drastically and help JJ to live a life as close to normal as possible.

I understand that for well over a year, perhaps longer, the provincial government has been in a state of 'assessing the safety, technological effectiveness and cost effectiveness of insulin pump therapy in comparison to multiple daily injections for individuals with type 1 diabetes'. I urge you to support the immediate funding of this crucial medical development for children and adults living with this auto immune disease in Alberta...for the sake of the future of our children...all of our children.

Thank you for your consideration.