- advertisement -

Football

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, Jul 12, 2011.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Okay. My son will be starting tackle football in the next couple of weeks. He's 7. Yeah, I'm not sure it's the greatest idea ever, but let's set that aside for a moment.

My VAST preference is for him to wear the pump as much as possible. Obviously for conditioning and non-contact drills, that won't be much of a problem. What about when there is contact? My instinct is to turn his pump pouch around so that he wears it in the small of his back, tucked into his pants. He should not be getting hit much from behind (definitely not a ball carrier here :rolleyes:), and it should be pretty safe there. Frankly, I'm more worried about him getting hurt if someone pushes the pump into him than the pump getting hurt.

What say you football experts? Keep in mind that these are 7 & 8 year olds, and are likely not hitting near as hard as the big boys.

2. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

No good advice here, but what if he gets knocked down and rolls over on his back (on the pump)?

How long are the practices, can he disconnect for a short amount of time?

I remember reading on this site years ago about an old football player who put his pump in his cup. :eek:

3. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

I don't have any good advice either but with all the activity of football will he even need to wear it? Not sure just thinking out loud.

4. hawkeyegirl

I don't think getting knocked on his back would bother him, but if it did, we'd have to rethink that. I think the practices will be about 1.5 hours, and given our experiences with swimming, disconnecting would be a nightmare.

A cup. I suppose he needs a cup. Egad. I am not ready for this.

Yeah, he will. We have loads of problems disconnecting for swimming, even when it is very active swimming. We can disconnect for a half hour to an hour with few issues, but any more than that is trouble.

If we have to disconnect, I'm probably going to look at a shot of Lantus to replace part of his basal. He will HATE that, and I cringe at all the refiguring I'd have to do.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

For the sake of your future grandchildren....;)

6. chbarnes

chbarnes Approved members

Chris wore his pod during middle school football with no problems. He was not a real aggressive player. If you could use something that held the pump pretty close to his body, maybe with some underarmor, it would probably be okay. They stand around a lot, so it may not work to disconnect, unless you were willing to stand there and reconnect as needed.

7. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

My non-D son played football when he was seven (10 now), and I don't think wearing the pump would be a problem during practice. There isn't usually a lot of "hard hitting" in practice. However, during the games it might be a bit of a problem if he gets hit.

Because he will be wearing hip and back pads, you could clip the pump on the outside of the pads. That way the pads would provide cushion between the pump and his body. There is also a type of undershirt that has padding built into it (think underarmor). With that undershirt, and the snap in hip/butt pads, I think he would have ample protection...

And enjoy! It really is so much fun watching them play at that age:)

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

Tyler disconnects for football..Football is a contact sport, you can't predict how they will be tackled (including during practice). Whether you are on defense or offense, there is tackling involved. Tyler plays defense and is backup quarterback, so he does both the tackling and gets tackled. On defense he ends up on his back ALOT...he will wrap the offensive player and drag him down no matter what it takes, (Tyler is the lightest kid on his team) often this means wrapping his arms around the players waist and dragging him to the ground. (I am sure there is a more technical term for this - but that's what it looks like to this mom)

In practice they practice tackling, so there is often MORE tackling in practice than in the game.

You could try putting the pump in a pouch that is tight and padded, but ask your son if it would hurt to get slammed onto it...

I don't think the pump in the cup trick will work;)

Trust me, sports is a HUGE part of Tylers life and much thought, trial and error and effort is put into keeping him on the playing field and managing his diabetes safely. If Tyler thought there was a way to wear his pump during football, he would have found a way.

This is a picture of Tyler (in white) I don't have the picture on here (fourms), but he grabbed this kid and basically then dragged him down on top of himself and ended up on his back....I had posted this picture because you can see his medical alert bracelet on his left wrist:D
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/picture.php?albumid=210&pictureid=1623

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  9. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I have no experience with 7 year old boys or tackle football. I guess I would try to pad the pump to protect your son and the pump at the same time. Maybe a piece of tempurpedic type material that you could slice and make a pocket for the pump. (You can get a sample piece of tempurpedic in the mail for free.) I admire you for letting your son try this sport.

10. hawkeyegirl

Thanks for your input, all. I guess we'll just have to try some things and see what works. I know that disconnecting him without some Lantus will not work, but the thought of introducing Lantus after 3+ years gives me hives. Plus he really would have a complete cow.

I am still holding out hope that at this age it won't be so rough that we can't figure out a way for him to wear the pump. Then we can put off dealing with this until he reaches the stage where a shot doesn't send him into hysterics. :rolleyes:

11. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

Have you considered using the Omnipod as his pump for sports? I know it is a added cost but if Jack is like Mann (sports lover) it might be worth the investment. Manning had no issues wearing the pods for football.

12. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

DS just decided this year that he wanted to join the 7th grade football team (no tryouts required)...this from a kid who has always played soccer, never shown any interest in FB whatsoever:confused:

But okay, trying to be a supportive mom. Was also worried about what to do with the pump. He has never taken it off for anything but swimming. So far he has worn it throughout all the practices, but unsure what will happen when they get the full uniform in a few weeks. I too am not worried about the pump itself, more how much it will hurt if he gets it slammed right into him. Sorry no real advice for you, just commiserating with you. Will keep reading your post for advice too.

13. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

We play rugby - lots of tackling and no padding. Oscar has never taken his pump off for games or practice. So far, so good. We don't do anything special - he just wears it in his spandex pump band (Tallygear).

The boys went to see John Chick speak a few weeks ago - he's quite an inspirational Type 1 football player who used to play for the CFL but is now in the NFL. He also said he never takes his pump off. He apparently wears spandex shorts and folds the pump into the band of the shorts at hip level - see this video:-

http://www.johnchick97.com/diabetes.html

Have fun Jack.

14. Tigerlilly's mom

Where does Manning wear his pods when playing football and lacrosse? Tyler has expressed an interest in trying the Pod when he can switch pumps (not for another 2 years though)

15. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

He wears it on his thighs and upper booty for FB, for lax he can use his arms too. The pads in the gridle protect it and uses a padded underarmor band on his arm.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

We are required to disconnect for any sport - because the pump might harm another player :rolleyes: - once we even had to tape a site because a player complained about it scraping her...

And no, Coco does not play football - but middle school girls basketball is a full contact sport.

She has a small snack and gives half a dose for it and that usually works. There is something about having some insulin working in her body that prevents the hard spikes up from being disconnected. If we do not give the carbs, she will usually hit 400 from being disconnected.

17. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

As a teen, this sort of thing isn't done how I may want it, instead I let him choose....very very frustrating actually!!! His choice has been to disconnect and bolus midway with missed basal. We've only made it through spring training so far (real practices start in August) but that seemed to work.

He disconnected totally for any practices that included hitting. He stayed connected for practices without pads/running drills only.

18. Tigerlilly's mom

You might be surprised! If taking an extra shot makes it less of a hassle or give him better bgs (high bgs make him play not so great;)) Tyler is all for it! When something is important to them, our kids will go that extra step (take that extra shot):D

19. luvmyboyz

luvmyboyz Approved members

I agree with the previous posts that there will be full contact even at practice. All you can really to do is try it and see if it works. The padded tight shirts are called compression shirts. They have some padding around the ribs, back, and shoulders. They are supposed to fit snuggly and boy is it hard to get off a sweaty little boy! ;) Under Armour makes them and they are expensive so look for coupons from your local sports store.

20. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I loved the PeeWee football days!! Vince was dx after those days, but played last year and we were MDI, so I have no good advice for the pump placement.

I do know that some kids can tackle pretty hard... My son's first peewee coach remembers him saying after a tackle, "Coach, are they allowed to hit that hard?" :p

I hope he has a great time playing! Vince played from about age 6 or 7 thru last year. He decided not to play this Fall, but may go back next Fall, we will see.

ENJOY these days! Those little guys are fun to watch!!