- advertisement -

Football over.....blood sugar creeping back up

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rutgers1, Nov 20, 2011.

1. rutgers1

rutgers1 Approved members

Football ended last week. At that time - which was around week 3 of being on the pump - Matt's blood sugar was about 165 for the previous week. Considering where it was pre-pump were totally excited.

Now that football ended last Sunday, he is less active and his blood sugar is creeping back up again. In fact, for the last week it was 180. I don't want to be in that area anymore!!!!!!

I was hoping to run my thoughts on potential courses of action by the forum and see what you think:
    1) For starters, I was thinking of quickly signing him up for something else. He is playing basketball, but our local basketball league only practices/plays one day a week. Football was up to 4 times a week. I thought that I could get him involved in another basketball league a couple more times a week for forced recreation/exercise.

2) I guess I could start the whole basal testing process again.....ugh.

3) Is it possible to simply try a 24 hour temp basal that is slightly higher than what we had before and see if that compensates for the decrease in exercise/activity? And if so, what percentage would I raise it?

2. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Start a new basal plan labeled "less active" the bump everything up around the clock. When Seth was on the pod, I had several basal programs set up so that I could just switch back and forth. :cwds:

3. rutgers1

Would you suggest just one notch up at all hours?

4. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

We are in the same situation... football done and nothing going on until after the Thanksgiving holiday. Then he can do winter lacrosse but only one day a week, may look at basketball too.

I have been increasing his basal 10% where I see him going high and staying there. I am going to increase it 10% across the board this week, he is hovering in the upper 100's.

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Yes, I would start with that to see if it worked, then again if not...It's a process :)

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Ramping it up a notch is what we do on MDI and it works - no reason it shouldn't with a pump.. :cwds:

7. rutgers1

We upped the basal a bit more than 10% today.....still way too high. Either football created a glucose burning engine that I hadn't imagined, or he just went through some type of mini growth spurt this past week. I am going to give this new setting another day, but if it doesn't work, I am going to up it again.

I also just emailed a local basketball league (at 2:45AM!) to see if he can join. It is Mondays and Wednesdays. He already has regular recreation basketball league on Saturdays, so MAYBE that will give him enough exercise to bring things back to normal a bit!

The bummer is that, for two weeks, his blood sugar numbers were AWESOME -- best they have been in a long, long time. But I am not overly surprised, as he is very much affected by exercise.

8. rutgers1

I was hoping someone could help me figure this out..........

The background info:
    1) He was doing GREAT on 4.6 units of basal a day during football season.
    2) Once football ended last week, his blood sugar numbers started creeping up.
    3) We are now at the point where, although insulin is handling his meal carbs, it is pretty much having zero impact on his regular blood sugar numbers. He always seems to test in the mid 200's. We give a correction, and an hour or two later he is still in the mid 200's. It seems like he would raise about 30 an hour without these corrections.

Doesn't raising 30/hour seem pretty high considering he was doing GREAT a week ago during football season?

Now here is where I need help. Assuming that this 30 number is in the ballpark, that would be a rise of 720 over a 24 hour period. If a unit of insulin brings him down 80, wouldn't that be an extra 9 (NINE!) units of basal a day that are needed? It seems pretty strange that stopping football would necessitate an extra NINE units of basal a day (up from 4.6). It would put him more in line with normal basal/bolus ratios, as he receives very little of his insulin now from basal (only 5.3 of about 21 units per day of total insulin), but it just seems strange that stopping football would create such a change in basal needs.

Does that sound right? Also, Are my calculations incorrect?

9. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Is this something that he really want's to do? I guess I would just caution on using rigorus exercise to manage bg levels as opposed to just getting the insulin right. But I don't have the whole story so I may not be reading this right.

It seems like you are getting good advice for your specific questions, so I have nothing to add there. Good luck...

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

On MDI, when figuring out how much to up basals I divide the previous day's corrections by 2 and increase the Lantus by that amount.

How much has he been getting in corrections?

11. lil'Man'sMom

lil'Man'sMom Approved members

If you are correcting and 2 hours later he is still at the same number his correction factor needs to adjusted. I know a lot of people on here wait 3 hours but with Manning if he isn't moved at 2 hours, he isn't going to move much by 3 hours.

Manning gets 45-50% basal, even during football he was getting that so I am thinking his increase is a growth spurt.

Manning also reacts differently to different sports/activities. Every new sport is a new challenge.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011