- advertisement -

Food/snack ideas for a picky toddler???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JJsMomma, Dec 2, 2009.

1. JJsMomma

JJsMomma Approved members

It is here, the moment I have been dreading! My 21 month old is refusing to eat anything I want him to. He either skips meals or eats only peas, green beans, applesauce and 'cookies'. We've been struggling with low BS readings (boarderline 4s and 5s). I HATE the stress of worrying about him sleeping too long...I should be able to relax and enjoy the solitude....instead I am wrought with fear.

So, for those of you who have had a toddler with D, what are your suggestions? He is on a peanut butter, jam, bread, crackers, cheerios, kraftdinner, pasta strike. I'm running out of ideas (and a bit low on patience!)

2. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Hmm, is he brewing a tummy bug? Are you looking for toddler snacks overall, or just things with carbs?

When Ava is low, but not hungry, we have luck getting her to eat a few gummy bears. Two to four does the trick to bring up her BG.

Have you tried things like granola bars? If he loves veggies, we have some spinach pancakes in the freezer section. Carbs and veggies.

3. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

fruit snacks? we like the organic Annie's ones, but the store ran out and we got toy story ones-lots of corn syrup lol. Also strawberry or choc milk, frozen yogurt, anything w/noodles, quesadillas to dip in ketchup, anything you can dip in ketchup. At this age it's probably a power thing, it was w/our son. We would not hover when he was eating, walk away and pretend we weren't watching, let him choose what he wants. They can't control much at this age but what they eat and where they poo lol.

4. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

I can't give advice on the toddler with D part but I did have a picky eater. I found that if I let him help prepare the food then he would eat it. I also spent a great deal of time making the food fun - like making it into boats, cars, smiley faces, trains. (We just celebrated his 18th birthday last night and he ate everything on his plate)

5. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

How about rice and or soup? Rice is full of carbs and very filling. you could even put cheese on it if hes a cheese fan. I used to get very frustrated with Steven when he wouldnt eat when he was on NPH, he had to eat at certain times of the day therefore there were times when I would give him a brownie even if he didnt eat a good supper:eek: Is it all types of bread that are on the no thank you list or just white bread? I was thinking maybe try some pumpernickel or some other type of dark bread, or quick breads like pumpkin would be tasty. Applesauce is good, how about other types of fruit sauces? Are potatoes still ok? Im sure fries are still popular. Most kids wont refuse french fries.

6. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

he's the same age as my Sophie, so I understand about the pickiness.

Just try some different things. She has boycotted most kid type foods, but is loving white bean chili, loves hummus, stuffing with apples and sausage, eggs, waffles. Sometimes she will eat crackers. Anything chocolate or candy. (I've caught her in Sam's room raiding his supply of low food, ie skittles, m&m's) She wants go gurts, but she's dairy free for now, so unless she digs them out of the trash, no go;)
    To treat a low, put some karyo syrup in a sippy cup with chocolate milk--super super carby/sweet.

7. Leece

Leece Approved members

We've hit the goldmine with drinkable yogurt! It has about 14 carbs/serving and if she is being picky it still fills her up. We always poke the foil with a bendy straw so it is even more of a "treat". Girls also like Pancakes and waffles so we will have them for supper sometimes too.

8. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

would it help him going to grocery store and picking out some foods he likes?

Or if he eats half on plate he can have desert? likemini cupcakes that he has helped make?