- advertisement -

Fondue Dinner - The Melting Pot.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by DavidN, Sep 15, 2014.

1. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

Was thinking about taking my son to The Melting Pot for dinner. I think he'd get a kick out of it. Just wondering if anyone's tried it and how it went? I would think meats and vegtables/fruits covered in cheese should be pretty straight forward. Didn't see any nutritional info on the site. It feels like there would be more fat then I'd expect (because it's eating out and that's typically the way it is). Then there's dessert and the pot of chocolate ...

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Cheese is a nightmare food for us that we've learned to watch amounts and dose for over 8 hours. Even a 200% basal wouldn't cut a meal like that. I'm learning high fat & high protein causes much worse spikes than just fat alone.

3. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

You are right. I guess I was focusing more on lowish carbs, but who am I kidding? With the fruits and breads and dessert, it will end up being lots of carbs with lots of fat. And an overall nightmare. We have plenty of fun but difficult places to eat without adding another. :cwds: Thx.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

do you really want to not take your kid, one night, to a special treat restaurant that you yourself said he'd get a kick out of because it will be hard to bolus for?

JMHO but I would do otherwise. It's one meal. It's one night.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  5. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Oh, I'd definitely be game to go, but I'd definitely be mentally estimating and calculating or it would become a horrible night of correction doses that don't budge the BGs for hours.

My teen is sitting here reading over my shoulder, and her opinion is that it would be better to go earlier in the day (lunch? Sunday dinner?) when the after effects would be done by bedtime as she likes her sleep and not being poked.

6. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

I'd go, T1D be damned! In situations like this where portion sizes are not standard, the Figwee app has really come in handy to get a reasonably accurate carb count. If you're pumping, an extended bolus may make this less of a "nightmare" meal. Just my two cents...

Now I'm craving stuff dipped in cheese and chocolate for dinner. Thank you very much!:beaten:

7. Lori_Gaines

Lori_Gaines Approved members

^^^^^^^Word!

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think, too, we should all try to ditch words like "nightmare" and "horrible" when describing and thinking about a lousy dinner out. A catastrophic car accident on the way to the restaurant is a "nightmare", finding a mouse swimming in the melted cheese is "horrible" but a fun night out and subsequent highs are just living with Type 1.

I think it says something too that pretty much everyone in this conversation has a G4. Maybe seeing that spike makes us worse off in some ways. We of all people should be able to dose the number, set the alarm clock for 3 hours, turn off the high alert, get some sleep and if need be correct again when the alarm clock goes off.

9. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

With lots of practice and careful analysis it is possible for meals like this to become something you will be able to handle better. Until then I see no problem with weighing the difficulties that exist now against the benefits of indulgence. On the one hand if you never eat meals like this not only do you miss the enjoyment but you won't get the practice. But on the other hand if you add up all the birthdays, pizza nights, days at the movies, treats at school, holidays, dinners at restaurants, dinners at friends, and even the weekday menus that never work out, etc. the exceptions can become the rule.

Are some of these nights hard and are some of them nightmares? Sure. It IS part of our daily lives; how hard you want to work to avoid the difficulties and what you do to manage the difficulties you accept probably vary for each of us.

As a case in point when we were first diagnosed we learned pretty quickly that pizza was a hard food to work with. We use to eat pizza once a week and finally after too many nights with BGs above 300 for hours, on top of the fact that she went high for three hours after every breakfast, and we too frequently made mistakes resulting in long highs, we decided to eat pizza far less often. If we had a Dex at the time we would have seen most of a day was spent in the yellow. In our newness to it all we had a lot of highs which were unavoidable because we were too ignorant to know what to do. It made sense to avoid highs that we could avoid. However, with more experience under our belt I began a quest to finally figure out how to dose for pizza in a way that would make it work. I started by buying a bunch of individual frozen pizzas by Jeno's. Every one is the same number of carbs. After three nights (not in a row) of those and some note-taking I did learn to dose for Jeno's so that eating one of them is no better or worse than a regular meal. In phase two we switched to Home Run individual frozen pizza. The first night was bad but the second night was better. I expect to be able to dose for Home Run pizza in a way that will work just as well as any old night. As time goes on my hope is to be able to dose for several brands of frozen pizza and hopefully to be able to figure out some principles that we can apply to any pizza frozen or fresh, individual or whole. I do not regret eating less pizza for those first couple of years because we were just not ready to make it work. Now with more time under our belts I think we will be able to use what we have learned to make eating any pizza just no better or worse than eating any other food.

10. dshull

dshull Approved members

GO, GO, GO!! We have been and it was great. It is not nearly as carby as I thought it would be. They do not have their nutritional info online, but they do have it and I have to comment that the staff was super amazing. I called ahead and the manager emailed me the nutritional info (PM me your email address, I might still have it). When the waitress noticed our kit she bent over backwards to help us and brought us printed nutritional info.

If you would have gone before D, definitely go now. Your kids will love it. What kid does not like sipping goodies into chocolate?!? We went over a year ago about six months after diagnosis and I am still so proud of us that we faced it, did it, and had a great time. Oh and my son was MDI then, it would be even easier on a pump.

You can do it!!

11. DavidN

DavidN Approved members

It's a casual manner of speaking that shouldn't be taken too literally. If a friend tells me after a round of golf that he played "horrible" or "God awful", I get it. Beyond playing poorly, he's also at the moment a bit exasperated. I don't take the words literally but the words convey a lot. I've been there.

I think most type 1 parents immediately can related to a "nightmare" food or a "horrible" night out, while still recognizing that there are lots and lots of things in life that are far worse than a bad night out or even T1D itself.

As for the dinner itself, maybe we'll go, we'll see. He already has his favorite burger restaurant, pizzeria, Mexican spot and Barbecue joint, and we're learning to bolus for all of them. I've yet to balk at anything because of D but I was just thinking "why introduce another problem meal"? The answer of course is because it would be fun. I never brought it up and he doesn't even know what fondue is, so he's not knowingly sacrificing anything, but it would be a fun family night out. I'll ruminate on this one. Thanks all to feedback.