advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foil wrapped Ketostix

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by alongoria, Jun 26, 2008.

1. alongoria

alongoria Approved members

I was just told today by my CVS that the manufacturer had discontinued the foil wrapped Ketostix. Does anyone know if it is true? I am going to look into it myself but I wanted to ask here first.

Autumn

2. Denise

Denise Approved members

am calling Bayer Diabetes hotline now...will post when I get an answer

am on hold...she's checking for me

Here is what she said...

She said there has been no indication that it will be discontinued anytime soon. I had said I didn't want to get started on a product and have to switch as we were newly dx'd. She said she certainly understood my concern.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
    TracieandJim likes this.
  3. mlbertness

mlbertness Approved members

are you thinking of the ketostix for blood testing????

4. alongoria

no

I am talking about the foil wrapped urine ketostix.

5. alongoria

what number

did you call...........

6. Denise

Denise Approved members

I wonder if it's just CVS that will discontinue carrying them? It's definitely worth asking. The Bayer rep resassured me that it was not being disct'd.

7. Denise

Denise Approved members

Yes...I posted what she said in the same original post :cwds:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  8. ADHDiabetic Mom

ADHDiabetic Mom Approved members

Just curious... :confused:

Any particular reason foil-wrapped are better than the ones that just come loose in a bottle? We've always used those without any issues.

Or maybe it's that the foil-wrapped can be carried more easily in fewer quantities in a diabetes kit. Ketones have never been an issue for Sean, so we haven't had to be terribly careful about always having them on hand.

Just curious....

9. alongoria

no what number did you call???

10. alongoria

We use them because the ones in the bottle expire in either 90days or 6 months. They always go to waste and the foil wrapped ones have an actual expiration date. I also trust them more for some reason. They are more expensive but I buy them anyway.

Autumn

11. Denise

Denise Approved members

here is the link to where I found the number...

http://www.bayerdiabetes.com/us/contact

"If you need help with your Bayer diabetes care product or want to find the store closest to you that sells our products, please call the Bayer Customer Service Help Line at

1-800-348-8100
    We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. "

12. alongoria

I just talked to Bayer also

they told me also that they won't be discontinued. CVS is going to get a phone call for telling me that. I made completely sure to ask if it was that they could no longer get them or that they had been discontinued and she said 100% discontinued. :mad:

13. Denise

Denise Approved members

I'm glad they are not being discontinued but sorry that you were panicked for nothing. Let me know what CVS says...

14. mlbertness

I have never even heard of these before? I don't think we have those in Canada. I just heard of the blood ketone stix at the walk this month!

15. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Yeah as alongoria said the strips in the bottle expire automatically within 6 months of opening them, whereas the individually wrapped strips last until the expiration date printed on the foil. Plus I always carry a couple foil wrapped strips in my wallet so we can test wherever we are.

16. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

Here's info about ketone testing.

And here's what the box looks like.

[​IMG]

17. mlbertness

THANKS for the info!

18. alongoria

The pharmacist said that is what McKesson told them. McKesson is the company they order their drugs from. She was very sorry and told me that if I find them somewhere for them to call and they would transfer the script and that since they gave us what they had in stock that I could bring those back so I don't have two copays.

I really like them there and I really hate having to get scripts at different places....too confusing as it is..

Autumn

19. Denise

Denise Approved members

I don't blame you! We mail order our supplies as it is cheaper. We have a year's worth of scripts for both places so that if we run out for some reason, we can run to Kroger's and get what we need and then order a refill via mailorder.

20. alongoria

Ah Kroger, miss them sometimes LOL.

That is what we usually do also-use mail order, but somehow I ran out. Now I am wondering if I can get them thru mail order since my mailorder company now owns CVS. Next call is to Caremark and then back to Walgreens to see if they can order them. :rolleyes: