- advertisement -

Flying with unopened insulin vials, can they be room temp until arrival?

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by obtainedmist, Mar 7, 2011.

1. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Just trying to figure out how to do this when Molly leaves for college in the fall. If the vial is unopened, can it be kept at room temp. for a 4-5 hour flight? How have you or your college age kids negotiated all d stuff needed while pumping in college. We normally do mail order of all supplies and get a 3 month supply for a 2 month co-pay (with the exception of the pump supplies...that I could potentially have shipped to her each month). Just wondered if there were any tips you could share. Thanks as always! :)

2. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

3. obtainedmist

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I'm going to get one!

4. Scribe

Scribe Approved members

I travel a lot and never have I used a cooler for my insulin, whether it is opened or new. I throw it in my bag and go. It's always worked, even when I went to Iraq or Asia. I've carried it weeks for a time in hot places without any cooling and I've never seen a difference.
    I honestly don't think you need to do anything for such a short flight. The stuff is a lot more robust than you might think.

5. obtainedmist

Thanks for this, too. I do know someone whose daughter is doing an exchange in Italy and took all of her insulin for 5 months without the benefit of refrigeration! That's why I posted the question in the first place.

6. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

I wouldn't be too concerned about uncooled insulin that will be used within a month.

7. mocha

mocha Approved members

I fly back and forth for college a lot. I take my insulin out of the fridge at the last minute and pack it.

Always take it in your carry on. Never ever put it in your checked luggage (same thing goes for all medical supplies). The cargo portion of the plane is generally not heated, and it gets really cold down there (this is why checked baggage can be really cold when you pick it up) and can go below freezing. Not to mention, if your bag is "lost" then you're out your medical supplies.

If you're concerned about it getting warm, you can always take a cold drink (hooray diabetes and getting to take lots of liquids on a plane!) or an ice pack or something. Although, I personally don't worry about a day's travel affecting it too much. If I travel a lot in a short period of time, then I might get concerned about it, but a day out and about should be just fine. :)

8. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

I agree that it will be fine. As far as how we handle pump supplies, etc. We have the pump supplies shipped here b/c the first year we tried to have them shipped to school and they ended up shipping some at times when he wasn't there, like in the summer and the school sent them back. So we get all the pump supplies here and then send them to him as he needs them (we have quite a stockpile). But he gets his insulin and test strips at a pharmacy near his school....or at the pharmacy here, when he is home.

9. obtainedmist

Thanks for the details! I think we'll do the same with the pump supplies. Depending on where she winds up, we might just drive them out to her for a visit now and then...(her Dad has threatened to get an RV and park it outside her dorm...eyes rolling:rolleyes:) We get a 3 month supply of insulin, so she'll just take what she needs during vacations, etc.

10. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

LOL! Alex would totally ignore us in the RV. Have you seen the Malcolm in the Middle show where he visits a college over night and his mom stays in the dorm room with him? Very funny....I threaten my younger son that I'll do that with him.

Feel free to email me (bgallini@comcast.net) if you have more questions about planning for college. I don't always come to cwd so I may not respond to posts promptly.

11. mocha

mocha Approved members

My parents threatened to do something similar: be my roommates. :eek:

We've have good success with having my pump supplies shipped back home and then my mom mailing them to me. For some reason, when we've tried to have them directly sent to me, they always get returned. :confused: I pick up all my other prescriptions at the school pharmacy, which I get in 3 month batches. This also includes back up syringes and back up Lantus, along with test strips.

12. Ronin1966

Ronin1966 Approved members

Hello obtainedmist:

Always keep all insulin in her carry on bag, whatever shes traveling with. The Ipod can be packed, the insulin itself should be kept on her... :D

Got detached from all my luggage in Japan once upon a time, took three full days to reacquire any of it. Kept the insulin on me, no problems!!!

13. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I always pack it in a small soft cooler bag with an ice pack. The cooler bag goes in the carry on duffel with the rest of his supplies. As soon as we arrive, I stick it in the fridge. An insulated lunch bag will work too, if you don't have a soft cooler bag.

14. brokenheart

brokenheart Approved members

Right, a day or two in room temperature isn't a big deal. I quite often forget to put it back into the fridge after infusion set change.