- advertisement -

Flying with Animas Ping- Couple of questions

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by michtroy, Jan 20, 2015.

1. michtroy

michtroy Approved members

So we are going to Disney in a little over a month. Starting to question so many things... I know that we can request a pat down at the airport for the pump, so I'm good with that. Can the ping remote go through x-ray? Do I need to deactivate it from the pump to fly, or can i just remove batteries and not use it at all until we are off the plane. If you do the pat down option, do your supplies still go through the x-ray? Another question, do you have to have the sites in the original box, or can I just put them in a plastic bag? It's our first time flying with the pump, so as you can tell I'm a bit nervous. Thanks for all the help.

Michelle

2. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Pump should not go through x-ray or full body scanner.
    Remove clip if you use one, and request to go through metal detector. Most likely, if it doesn't set off, they won't even pat you down. That has been our experience the last few times at Logan. They have requested that my daughter take pump out and turn it on for them.

Meter can go through x-ray, I just have in in my purse.
    Supplies, I put in it's own carry-on. I tend to keep them in their original box as it's just easier to pack. If you want them in a plastic bag, I'd just take the RX off that box and throw it in the bag. Have never had a problem either way. Pump/meter work fine on the plane. No need to disable. Make sure if you are carrying the Lithium batteries that it is an un-opened pack (we once had an open pack confiscated), or pack them in checked luggage.
    Have fun! You are probably going the week before us...

3. michtroy

michtroy Approved members

Thanks for the info about the batteries. I never would have thought of that! We are flying out of Logan as well. Just out of curiosity - do you remove pump for thrill rides at Disney? I was told I should have my daughter do that, but since most sites are in her bum this will not go over well with her.

4. Beach bum

The jury is out on this one. Animas says yes, we always did, though I know there are those here who have kept it on and have experienced no problems. Animas says that their pumps are effected by magnets, so if a ride is run by a magnet system, you should remove.

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We travelled with the Animas a lot. By the end, I was just taking the pump off and asking for it to be hand checked. Then she would just walk through the metal detector - prevents a pat down. The Animas often sets off the metal detectors. I have also run it through the xray machine in the packback - Animas will tell you not to but if I'm not in the mood for the hand check then that's what I'll do. We hand checked the t:slim on our most recent trip because I just hadn't heard enough either way yet. It probably wouldn't have set off the metal detector but didn't want to deal with the pat down if it did, so I took it off to prevent that.

I've always just carried all her diabetic supplies in a 2 1/2 gallon Ziploc in the carryon backpack, including batteries. That includes backup meter.

you don't need to turn anything off or take any batteries out on the plane. Pump and Ping meter can stay on an operational, as can a CGMS.

6. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

We did all the above (ask for the pump to be hand checked and then walked through scanner.) My son also showed his site to the TSA agent before he stepped into the scanner.

As for the rides, some of the g forces are rather extreme, so my son unhooks right before getting into the ride vehicle on rides like Expedition Everest and Mission:Space. You do have to remove and keep the pump away for Rock'n'Rollercoaster. That has a magnetic induction start and could potentially harm the pump. I know people say they've had no problem, but I don't care to risk it, so we have him remove the pump and it stays with someone sitting out the ride.

7. Beach bum

I look at it this way. We are on vacation to destress. Why worry about "will it hurt the pump or won't it?" We just take it off. The last thing I want to worry about on vacation is having to go on MDI if the pump fails!

8. Mo1

Mo1 Approved members

We are headed to Disney in 23 days and counting. We are traveling with T Slim. We do a hand check through security, and disconnect before take off and landing, reconnecting once the plane has leveled off and on landing. The Endo recommended this, and I've seen discussion here on old posts about it. There's something to do with the insulin and air pressure on take off and landing. The first time we flew I forgot to do it on the first leg of our flight and she did experience high blood sugar. No problems since on several flights. We also disconnect for rides. I imagine you are as excited as we are...our first trip to Disney!

9. dshull

dshull Approved members

We have the Ping and I have always asked for a pat down - sometimes they have had time wipe his fingers on the pump and then wipe it in some machine which checks his fingers for explosives. Never had a problem.

We use the Omnipod in the summer, and so have not had to deal with taking the pump off for rides. But, our son's NP at the endo is T1 and wears the Ping and she said she never disconnects for rides.