- advertisement -

Flying southwest

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mamamccoy87, Apr 25, 2010.

1. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

We are heading to Disney soon and will be flying Southwest. I know seats are basically first come first serve but does anyone know if you can preboard so you can ensure you sit with your family? I don't want all of us sitting away from each other - would not be a good start (or end) to our trip. Thanks!

2. Lizzie101

Lizzie101 Approved members

you cannot preboard with southwest unless you have an infant. however, you can print your boarding pass online up to 24 hours before your flight to ensure that you are in the a or b group. even though southwest has an open seating policy, they board in the order that you check in. you definitely should all be able to sit together if you check in and print your boarding passes before you get to the airport.

3. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

We just got back from a trip on Southwest, traveling as a group of four, me, DH, DD and my mom.

On our outbound flight, the gate agent stamped my boarding pass and DD's with a "Heart-shaped" stamp that permitted us to pre-board after the A and B group with children "4 and under" even though I told him that DD was five. He also told me "you can save seats for the other members of your party."

On the return, we had intended to pay $10 for two of us to do "early bird" check in, that would have also permitted pre-boarding (though I believe that this would have been earlier preboarding). We were not able to do so as the early bird check in is available from 36 to 25 hours before flight time (I had been told 24 hours before).

In any case, my mom preboarded with DD when the announced preboarding for "families with children four and under" (again, we told the gate agent DD's age, but they told my mom to preboard) and saved seats for DH and me.

I would assume that Southwest would permit a child with D and an accompanying adult to preboard regardless of the child's age, so that they could sit together.

4. hdm42

hdm42 Approved members

I would explain that you have a child with a serious health issue and you have to be seated together. It should be the same as preboarding with an infant/small child. Another thing you could do is get your ped/endo to add into your travel letter that your child must be seated with a parent/guardian. Doctor's orders ;)

5. Katie'sMom

Katie'sMom Approved members

We flew Southwest from San ANtonio to Tampa in Jan and I told the agent my daughter was Type 1 and they gave us a blue pre-board card.

6. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

We flew SWA a few weeks ago and didn't get a super early boarding pass. Fortunately we were all able to sit together. But we were joking before boarding that if people wouldn't move to accommodate our family, we would sit each of our kids next to a stranger and let them babysit for 2 hours ;)

7. dragonblimps_mom

dragonblimps_mom Approved members

Southwest now has a new service called early bird check-in. For $10 you get to board between the business travellers (who paid big money for their seats) and the others who checked in 24 hours before the flight. If you're traveling with another adult, only one of you needs to pay for the earlybird checkin. One person can go ahead and get bags in the bins and save enough seats for your whole family. Some gate attendents will let the whole family board up front but others don't. Just ask. You can sign up for this anytime after you buy your ticket. But do it before they start assigning boarding numbers the day before the flight. Enjoy your trip.

8. mickey's mom

mickey's mom Approved members

We flew SW when we went to Disney too and when I told them DD was Type 1 we were given a pre-board pass also. I mentioned the need to be close to the washroom in case of highs.

9. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Thanks for the info! We will do early bird check in and play the diabetic card;)

10. Jen_in_NH

Jen_in_NH Approved members

The last time we flew Southwest, we joked that if we couldn't find 2 seats together for one of us to be with Christopher, we would just plop him down next to a perfect stranger, hand them the PDM and all of his supplies, the operating manual from Omnipod, and tell them to come find us if they had any problems ;) I'm pretty sure no one wants to fly with a 2 year old, let alone a diabetic 2 year old who isn't theirs :cwds:

11. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

we flew southwest.. if the kids are under 5, they'll let you preboard.. we had no issues.. I will say, pack ALL D supplies together, in your carry on.. we had them seperated, it was a total pain.. we did have them clear ziploc baggies, so they could see everything clearly.. any creams, like EMLA, make sure they are in the box with the original prescription.. We were able to take juicy juice (the little 4oz, 15carb ones) and food right through.. I don't remember if we took water through or not.. I'm pretty sure we did.. we also had a note from kaylee's dr.. but it was never looked at.

12. dragonblimps_mom

dragonblimps_mom Approved members

We fly SW to Orlando a couple of times each year. You shouldn't count on getting "pre-boarding" just because you have small kids, especially to Orlando. It's Disney World after all. Everybody has small kids. Get early-bird check-in, or log-in to get your boarding pass precisely 24 hours before your flight. If you don't do either of these, go to the check-in desk where you would check in baggage, not at the gate, and ask for the blue sleeve for your boarding pass because you need to sit together.

I've been very careful to make sure we have the best chance to get on as early as possible. Once when flying home from Orlando on Easter sunday, we didn't have a computer to check in the day before. We had a C boarding pass and by the time we got on the plane there weren't two seats together anywhere. The plane was full of families with small kids and NO ONE would give up their seat so that I could sit with my six year old, not even when the flight attendent said she was diabetic. Finally she announced that the plane would not take off until someone offered up a seat next to one of the few empty ones. Then a father got up and let his wife take care of their three children. The flight attendent told me in the future to get the blue special boarding pass sleeve at the ticket counter. She said they dont have them at the gate. Now I just pay for early bird check-in. It's worth it.

13. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

We fly SW exclusively because of having a large family and the baggage fees on other airlines. We just print off our boarding passes anytime within 24 hours from your flight departure time, and you will all set together. We have had no problems with SW ever!

14. jules12

jules12 Approved members

We printed off the boarding passes ahead of time and had no problems. Once on the way back - it was christmas eve, we did ask for a blue boarding pass for my son because we got in the C group and they allowed 1 parent to board with my son before everyone else. It worked out well but they would not allow us to save seats for my daughter or my husband.

15. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

16. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

we just went to Disney on SW with inlaws and sil's family, had no problems.
    Don't forget to get the guest assistance card at town hall when you enter the park. We had 2 people with pumps and MIL had a recent knee replacement, it was great to have---no waiting in lines!!

17. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

SWA doesn't let families with children 4 and under pre board anymore. They now board between the A and B groups.

If you check in at precisely 24 hours or purchase Early Bird, you will not have a problem sitting together as a family.