- advertisement -

Flying & CGMS (all brands)

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Abby-Dabby-Doo, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

Has anyone flown with the CGMS?

Have you turned it off or left it on while in flight?
    Any problems if you left it on?

Thanks for your help!

2. moco89

moco89 Approved members

There's no need to turn it off. The devices do not use enough power to cause interference with in-flight equipment.

If the alarm is set off when passing through security, it is no big deal. I just told them that I had a sensor on my arm, and they were like "oh, ok".

3. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

They are fine, we have taken the CGM through it and there has never been a problem, it works just fine too. No interruptions.

4. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've left ours on every time we've flown. No problems.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I turned it off although I think I didn't need to.
    One thing I've wondered about is, before I flew, I thought the sensor was just about dead and after I started it after landing, it worked beautifully for another week. Coincidence or not?

6. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

Iv'e gotta have it on,

especially for intl flights crossing lots of time zones. They're of absolutely no danger to flight operations, for 3 reasons:

(1) No aircraft Control or Nav systems work at these frequencies (that goes for Dexcom, Abbott, and Minimed).

(2) The power levels are extremely low. Were always suffering from "lost transmitter" just a few feet away. Now think about cellphones, communicating with towers many BLOCKS away. Yeah, totally different.

(3) And finally (this is the one you might not know): They're silent more than 95% of the time. Transmitters don't sit there transmitting all the time; they only respond to queries from the Receivers, about once per minute, when the Receivers ask either "R U THERE?" or "GIVE ME DATA VALUE NOW". That takes only a few milliseconds.

7. selketine

selketine Approved members

Mythbusters (a show on the Discovery channel) did an interesting episode about whether cell phone signals can cause problems in a airplane. I must admit I was half paying attention but it seems like they pretty much determine that it would be difficult at best - even with something that puts out a lot of signal. I think they said that the whole thing about turning off devices came after an airliner crashed in Europe in the 1990s maybe? And they thought it might have something to do with cell phone use on the plane.

Here are some more details: http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2006/04/episode_49_cellphones_on_plane.html

They did conclude that "just in case" you shouldn't use a cell phone on a plane (as they couldn't recommend going against official advice). It was an interesting episode and it probably does indicate that it would be extremely unlikely for anyone's phone, CGMS, or whatever to crash a plane.