- advertisement -

Flu shots?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Hayden'sMom, Oct 26, 2010.

1. Hayden'sMom

Hayden'sMom Approved members

Hi everyone,

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about 10 days ago. I was told he needed to have all flu shots now. Do any of you not get the flu shot? Before he was diagnosed, I would have NEVER injected him with that... now I don't know what to do. He is already immuno-compromised, what would thermisol do on top of that? Any advice... I know what the doctor would say...

2. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

We never did flu shots before diagnosed. We have gotten it ever year since.

3. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Our whole family gets the shot every year.

We just spent four days in the hospital with Ava because she got a virus that caused awful ketones. It was something I NEVER want to repeat. Not that the shot will protect her from every thing that comes around, but I feel better getting it.

4. Leece

Leece Approved members

Flu shot for everyone in my family too. You just never know what kids will pick up.

5. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

There are several flu vaccine options that are preservative free, including no thimerosal.

6. slpmom2

slpmom2 Approved members

We all get flu shots every year. Illness with D is such a mess, I'd like to do everything possible to avoid it.

7. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

ds has asthma too so he has always gotten it, dd will now too due to T1
    go figure we think her trigger event was swine flu!!! grrrrr

DH and I still need to get shots too, the kids are scheduled for next week

8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

you'll find a lot of good threads (with hundreds of various replies) by using the "search" button up above. :)

9. sugarmummy

sugarmummy Approved members

after 8 hospital admissions all triggered by a variety of different bugs & viruses keira & me had a flu vacination this year. She is only 3 so has to have 2 half doses 4 weeks apart...we have one of the two so far. She gets really distressed & it takes 2 of us to pin her down for it, I have questioned at times if it is worth it, but just don't want to take the risk...trying really hard for a hospital free year.

10. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

Brandi never had a flu shot in her life until she was diagnosed, I opted against the swine flu shot but got the regular one for her.

11. wilf

wilf Approved members

we get 'em all.. :)

12. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

we never get them, not before, not after. dd has a REALLY strong immune system so were lucky she doesnt get sick easy=D

13. sarahconnormom

sarahconnormom Approved members

We started getting flu shots at our house the year Connor was born because he had so many health issues including an immune disorder. He got sick so easy. He wasn't dx with T1 until age 6.

14. Jessica L

Jessica L Approved members

Never have and never will. I have to tell every Doctor no and will continue to do so. My husband has asthma and after researching the flu shots decided for himself it wasnt worth it to get one again. He did have one long ago and got sicker than a dog with the flu from it.

15. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

We don't get them.
    I agree with Michelle - there are lots of interesting threads on flu shots in the archives.

Good luck with your decision
    Karen

16. nikichickee

nikichickee Approved members

CJ has never had a single vaccination before diabetes and after lot of research and prayer we decided to stand firm in that decision. Therefore CJ will remain vax free D and all :D

17. Kaylas mom

Kaylas mom Approved members

We have all gotten the flu shot since my youngest was born and he is severely immuno compromised. So getting one this year with the t1 dx really wasn't different. Kayla and I both had the swine flu last year and that is nothing I would like to repeat.

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Yes - always. My kid feeling a little blah post shot for a day is well worth the 8 days in the hospital that her non-flu shot D friend spent last year. Then, that turned into pneumonia and was followed with a collapsed lung.

I see no reason not to.

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

We do not get flu shots.

20. StacyMM

StacyMM Approved members

We don't get flu shots here. We didn't before and we don't now. However...the first year, I did. I panicked and the pediatrician convinced me. The endo has never pushed it and we've never gotten the shots again.