- advertisement -

Flu shot?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AliciaM, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

I think one thing to keep in mind is some one with diabetes is more likely to have complications from the flu such as pneumonia. Plus, I can only imagine what the flu would do to trying to manage blood sugars.

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Why is a T1D more likely to have pneumonia? Can you point me to that data?

3. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

No - never have and probably never will... :cwds:

4. ozarkmom

ozarkmom Approved members

A flu bug is what triggered my son's T1D...so we were told by our Endo. Looking back, we can see where he was having some health problems before T1D. Since then, he's gained 40 lbs and has grown 10+ inches...within a year and a half.

I'm on the fence about the shots. We've never had them, but my husband's employment began last year giving discounts for our insurance premiums *if* he gets a flu shot.

My T1D used to have allergies in the fall and spring--so bad that they could trigger an asthma attack. Last year he didn't have an allergy problem and this year he hasn't even taken his OTC meds (Allegra). So far, he's not been sick yet since his diagnosis, even though I replay our sick day management plan in my head day in and day out.

5. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Any doctor will tell you that t1s are immunocompromised. That's why. So going off the doctor, they are more likely to catch bugs. Whether or not that's true depends really on the child though in my opinion. Some kids are very susceptible, while others aren't.

6. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I don't understand this, why are they immunocompromised? Having autoimmune antibodies (very specific ones) does NOT mean your immune system is weak or otherwise impaired.

T1s are NOT immunocompromised and anyone who tells you differently is misinformed, including MDs.

Receiving a flu shot is a very personal decision and there are many factors that go into it. No one should receive it based on the fear of their kid being more susceptible. That is simply not true. Having flu may be more difficult on a T1 due to blood sugar issues while ill. That's it. Otherwise they are no more nor less likely to catch it than anyone else.

My family chooses not to receive flu shots. This decision is made based on our own knowledge of risks and benefits. The fear mongering that goes along with flu shots really irks me.

Everyone should research and make the best decision for their individual family.

7. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

This is correct. Here is a study that actually looked at the issue.

8. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I would be very cautious of an Endo that told me that. Since no one in the world can say for certain what causes Type 1 diabetes, I wonder how he knows that with such certainty? I mean, it may be true, but there is no possible way for him to know that.

9. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I've never once heard this from any of my child's doctors, even after I tell them every year that she hasn't and won't get the flu shot. I may change my mind if she ever gets the flu, but neither of us have yet.

10. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

No, not any doctor. I have never heard this from doctors. I think it is important to not just take what doctors say as gospel. Listen to what they say, do your own research and make your own decisions.

11. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I just think it's good common sense. Flu causes vomiting and dehydration - which makes blood sugars that much harder to manage. If you can possibly eliminate going down that road, do it.

12. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

The flu shot does not prevent stomach "flu". Stomach bugs aren't technically flu at all actually, it's just commonly called that. Vomiting is not a common side effect of seasonal influenza. I'm seriously all for personal decision on this, but it's important to have the facts.

13. hawkeyegirl

It is true that the flu shot doesn't prevent stomach flu. However, in a relatively unimportant piece of anecdata, I had the flu flu in January, and I did throw up. In probably a more important piece of anecdata, I think almost complete loss of appetite is common with the flu flu, and that can, of course, be almost as problematic for T1s as vomiting.

14. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Learn something new every day :) I thought all flu meant vomiting. And looking at the CDC's page on seasonal flu it does say that people with diabetes are at high risk of flu complications, which it defines as "Most people who get the flu will have mild illness, will not need medical care or antiviral drugs, and will recover in less than two weeks. Some people, however, are more likely to get flu complications that result in being hospitalized and occasionally result in death. Pneumonia, bronchitis, sinus infections and ear infections are examples of flu-related complications. The flu also can make chronic health problems worse. For example, people with asthma may experience asthma attacks while they have the flu, and people with chronic congestive heart failure may experience a worsening of this condition that is triggered by the flu."

15. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

From WebMD:
    The symptoms of influenza (flu) appear suddenly and often include:

Fever of 100?F (37.8?C) to 104?F (40?C), which can reach 106?F (41?C) when symptoms first develop. Fever is usually continuous, but it may come and go. Fever may be lower in older adults than in children and younger adults. When fever is high, other symptoms usually are more severe.
    Body aches and muscle pain (often severe), commonly in the back, arms, or legs.
    Headache.
    Pain when you move your eyes.
    Fatigue, a general feeling of sickness (malaise), and loss of appetite.
    A dry cough, runny nose, and dry or sore throat. You may not notice these during the first few days of the illness when other symptoms are more severe. As your fever goes away, these symptoms may become more evident.

Influenza usually does not cause symptoms in the stomach or intestines, such as vomiting and diarrhea.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    But then there are those who clearly DO throw up, it's just not a given or common problem. As stated though, loss of appetite is one of the common problems. I'm certainly not saying that the flu isn't a HUGE deal for someone with T1. Just not a proponent personally of the shot based on my own research. There are issues with the flu shot as well so my advice is research and know both sides of the story.

My son is an adult now and well may choose it this year. I'll have to ask him! Him being away at college and not home where I can handle things does alter things.

If there were a shot to prevent all bugs for barfing, I'd probably line up for that one, barf bugs are the WORST...my dd had a bad one this weekend. Shudder.

16. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I generally read the "chronic conditions such as diabetes" to refer to poorly controlled Type 2 folks. Healthy, well managed T1 and T2 are not more at risk. Seriously, there is nothing about being T1 that makes you more likely to get flu or the complications of flu.

BG will be difficult to manage. There may be vomiting. Appetite will be poor. Not a walk in the park by any means.

But I do not personally believe my T1 is more susceptible to the flu nor any of the horrible complications. And I personally do believe there are risks to the shot and choose not to get it. I've done tons of research and have my own reasoning. I have a plan in place to deal with flu if it shows up in my home.

17. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You've mentioned the risks in a number of posts now. Since I know that you are not a "one note" poster, may I ask what risks of a flu shot are deeply concerning to you?

18. hawkeyegirl

I always say that I'd rather go through labor than have the stomach bug. Hate them.

19. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We don't get them. I did for a few years after Emma was diagnosed. But honestly, we just don't get sick in this house. And if someone does, its NOT Emma. Her immune system is not compromised - its super strong. She just rarely gets sick. If she does, its a high fever for 24 hours and its over. And we see it coming because her BGs go up. But, she doesn't get sick, hardly ever, and my other kids don't seem to get sick or bring sickness home, so we don't. Hubby got something "like" flu last fall (November) but we aren't really sure if it was flu because it was pretty early in the season and you know men - any illness is like death! :)

20. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I fully admit that I have a skewed view, working in rehab for 25+ years means I see ALL the bad cases. But one of my big concerns is Guillan Barre. It's the real deal, I have literally and truly never treated one case in a person who did NOT get the flu shot in weeks prior. I have treated many many cases over the years and have a friend who fought it. I also have concerns with all vaccinations when it comes to autoimmune disease. There is research that ties those with autoimmune disorders when given vaccines that flare up other autoimmunity such as multiple sclerosis. We are very mindful about vaccines, do give them, but planfully.

I personally feel it is better to get the flu when young and healthy and develop natural immunity in my own right, vs a manufactured immunity via a shot. I'd rather get and fight the flu while young and healthy and have some natural propensity to fight it when older and less capable of an immune response and more at risk of secondary complication. The reason young children get lots of colds is because they have no natural immunity, as we age we hold onto all those nice antibodies and when exposed to colds have a way to fight them. Better to get flu and colds and such when young than old.

I also personally feel equipped to deal with it from a holistic/natural viewpoint. I absolutely will not go into all of my approaches as I was mocked for them years ago here but if anyone is interested PM me.

Finally I don't think they guess all that well too often for my taste. It's a crapshoot every year for them to manufacture what they hope will be a shot to prevent flu. They don't actually know ahead of time what the mutations of the flu will be. That's why it so often doesn't work for some and those who get the shot still get sick. It's such an imperfect science.

I really strongly, actively dislike the fear mongering that goes along with flu season. Do your research,do not just follow blindly along because "my Dr said." I respect everyone's right to get the shot should they choose to do so. I just wish everyone would do so based on truth and facts, not fear. If the truth and facts lead you to get the shot, that's awesome, seriously doesn't affect my life. I just get irritated by the bad information out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.