- advertisement -

Flu shot?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by AliciaM, Oct 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

Flu shot for cwd yes or no? I'm debating whether or not to get it...My clinic started a month ago and wondering if I should go get it

2. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Our endo told us everyone in our family should have a flu shot every year because Chris is now more susceptible to getting the flu and for it to be worse because of his T1D. We always got them anyway, but now I get them as early as possible. We're getting the kids' as soon as I can get into a doctor's office.

3. moco89

moco89 Approved members

I was immunized every single year post-diagnosis of type 1 (17 years) up until the time that I was diagnosed with a neurological autoimmune disease, that is relatively rare. I was advised not to get the flu vaccine, by my neurologist, only because of this rare neuro disease. Everyone in my household gets the regular flu vaccine (NOT Flu Mist--has an active form of the flu virus).

Pretty much everyone should be getting a flu shot, but you really should be asking your doctor. Also consult the Health Canada website for more information about who should/should not be immunized.

4. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Me, my D son and non D son get it (well non D son gets Flu Mist). Husband refuses. The past images on the news of E.R.s packed with hundreds of people with the flu always encourage me to get the shot early!

5. moco89

moco89 Approved members

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Yes. What rational reason would you have NOT to protect yourself and those around you?

7. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Always check with your doctor.

We all got ours last week. We also were able to get the ones with the short needles this year, I can say it was painless. My daughter didn't even realize she was given it, she thought that the nurse was still prepping her skin.

IMO, better safe than sorry! I've had the flu, not fun at all.

8. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Your dr. Said he was more susceptible because has has type 1 or he has another condition that makes him more susceptible? Because T1 doesn't make you more likely to get the flu.

9. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I'l go ahead and get it then. I just sometimes don't believe it always works. I've gotten the flu shot 4 years in a row and got the flu twice. One year was not too bad but the other was horrible!

This is my first year coaching young children (5-8) and they are always passing around germs to each other. So, I'm going to go ahead and get it anyway regardless and just pray that I don't get it at all because I seriously cannot afford to get sick right now with competition season starting in a month.

Thanks

10. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Well, it only protects so much. Last year I got the shot, but managed to get some different strain of flu that the shot didn't cover. But, I do think having the shot helped somewhat because it didn't last long (about 4 days) and my symptoms, while bothersome, didn't keep me down flat the whole time.

IMO, it's still worth it.

11. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just remember that the flu shot does not guarantee that you will never get the "flu". There are many different viruses floating around at any given time. The shot protects you against those viruses that research shows will be most common during the upcoming season. I still think it is better than not getting the shot at all. Here is a site where you can read more information:

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  12. swellman

swellman Approved members

Yea, this came from a doctor? A real doctor?

13. ksartain

ksartain Approved members

Yes, they said he is more likely to get illnesses going around and when he does get them, they will affect him more than a child without T1D.

14. moco89

moco89 Approved members

My neurologist said I was already immunocompromised because of type 1 diabetes when she wrote the orders for chemo as immunosuppression for my other autoimmune disease.

She would know, although she is not an endo or an immunologist.

15. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Yes! Everyone should. You don't want to deal with the flu and D together. WE all got the shot though before my daughter was diagnosed. The flu is something I don't want any of us to ever have. People die from it every year.. scary.

none of us have ever gotten sick from the flu shot. I've gotten it for 5 years, my daughter for 4 years. And (knock on wood!) no flu either.

16. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Our endo said the same .I personally think they just believe that since t1ds are supposed to be "immunocompromised" that they're more susceptible to absolutely anything. I've found in our four years with D, this is not the case. my daughter is the healthiest kid I've been around. Some other kids are sick all.the.time. I'm like, what the heck is wrong with your kid!?.. Not really, but it just makes realize that genetics play a major part in the immune system and she just has a good one.

17. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

I was in nursing and there are a lot of medical professionals that argue whether the flu shot helps or not. I am so-so about it. I mean I do usually get it every year. There were a few years I didn't get it before I went into nursing because I was like whatever about it but as a kid I always got the flu shot. I also know there are many strains of the flu. I got a really bad type of flu a few years ago when one of my floors I was working on was on outbreak precaution. I don't think I've ever thrown up so much in my life...it was horrible.

I am going to get the flu shot and just hope I don't have bad luck and get it like in the past. Here there are flu clinics so I might just go to the pharmacy and hope I get someone who is good at injections. The shot clinics at my doctors office are only on saturdays and I work. I asked if I could make an appt and they said no they only make an appt if you're over 65:rolleyes:

18. susanlindstrom16

susanlindstrom16 Approved members

My daughter had the flu shot last year and still got the flu. BUT she was only sick for two days, and only really miserable for the first day. So I do think that getting the shot cut down the duration for her, and we'll get another shot this year.

19. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

No, our family does not get flu shots, including our T1 son. T1 does NOT make one more susceptible to illness, however illnesses may cause havoc with blood sugars. Big difference.

20. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

The flu spread like wildfire in our house last January. 4 out of 5 of us got it. Hana, type 1, didn't. She didn't have the flu shot either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.