- advertisement -

Flu Mist Question

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by justice1315, Dec 25, 2015.

1. justice1315

justice1315 Approved members

Can anyone tell me if your diabetic child received the flu mist and had an adverse effect? My 12 year old daughter received the flu mist on Wednsday. It was not until I got home that I read that diabetics should not get the flu mist?? I have been completely freaking out and sleeping even less if that's possible , afraid that I just did something horribly wrong. I have not been able to get in touch with her endo due to the holiday, and my one million google searches have not provided much info other than never give a diabetic flu mist. Any help would be greatly appreciated . Thank you

2. Andii

Andii Approved members

My daughter had the flu mist some years back and had no problems. The nurse at the pediatrician's office insisted that it was fine although I vaguely remembered it was not recommended. I can never remember to ask the endo so we've been doing the shot ever since. Try not to worry!

3. dpr

dpr Approved members

We get the flu mist every year. They only recommend T1Ds dont get it because they have a blanket assumption that they are all imuno comprimised. We need an authorization from our pediatrion for them to administer it.

4. Theo's dad Joe

Theo's dad Joe Approved members

I got my son the shot, but I asked about the mist because I heard it was not recommended for diabetes. His pediatrician said that was usually for type IIs and the fear is that they will get pneumonia, and that the mist is NOT contraindicated for T1Ds without other issues.

By the way, my son definitely had higher blood sugars for a week after getting the flu shot. He spiked higher faster more often then usual.

5. dpr

dpr Approved members

And I forgot to mention this was our 4th year getting the mist with diabetes and no we have never had any adverse affects, not even high or low numbers.

6. justice1315

justice1315 Approved members

Thank you so much for the replies. I will sleep a little easier tonight.

7. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

My son has had the mist several times with no adverse effects. It is not recommended for those whose diabetes isn't well controlled, but I've been told by several doctors that it's ok for those who take good care of d.

Try not to worry. I'm sure she is fine, especially if she hasn't had any symptoms since she got it.

8. swellman

swellman Approved members

We've always used the flu-mist with no problems. The only time we didn't was when we went to a pharmacy and they wouldn't budge. Our pediatrician routinely gives the mist and our endo is supportive.