- advertisement -

Florida support group

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CarrieP, Nov 29, 2006.

1. CarrieP

CarrieP Approved members

Hey all...

On the off chance any of you live in East Central Florida... We are starting a Family to Family Support Group here. Our first meeting will be this weekend, Saturday December 2, from 9-10:30 am at the West Melbourne Public Library.

We have future meetings planned for Jan 13, 3-4:30 and then Feb-Dec 2007 every 1st Saturday from 3-4:30, all at the Library above.

This is pretty excting, but it is so hard to get the word out to everyone who might want to come because of HIPA laws, etc. I am doing a radio spot that won't air until Monday, and we are in the local newspaper. We are also going to be the featured family in our local kids magazine... So I am doing what I can. Any other ideas? The local endo is also telling anyone he sees....

It would be so neat if there actually was a few of you from this area on this forum!!!

CarrieP

2. hold48398

hold48398 Approved members

Hey Carrie, that is fantastic! I wish we were closer but we are in South Florida, an hour from Miami. Good luck with the group!!

3. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

Will your school district send flyers home with the students that have d? We have a support group here in the Tampa Bay area. I work at a public school and send out flyers every month. I fax or email a copy to each school nurse and they make copies to send home.
    Good luck. It is wonderful to talk with other parents that actually "know" what you are talking about and what you go through on a daily (hourly) basis!

4. margaret

margaret Approved members

Hi Carrie, Good luck with your new group. We live in Martin County and Melbourne is kind of far. Do you know of any groups in St. Lucie or Martin Counties. Is Dr. Duncan your endo?
    Margaret

5. CarrieP

CarrieP Approved members

Hey Margaret...
    I am not sure of any other groups south of us... Sorry we are so far away from you!!! Yes, Dr. D is our endo. We live right around the corner from his office. If he is your doc too, we should plan to meet next time you come up for an appointment!!!

Nantomsuethom...
    I tried to get some info sent through the school nurses, but our nurses are managed by the health dept. and they are real strict about the HIPA laws and said NO immediately... We will see what happens as time goes by. I figure if we meet and get a good reputation, maybe the schools will work with us. Right now, we are a new group and such. Our only ped endo in town is the one who writes the school orders for handling diabetics....so I am hoiping that maybe he might have some clout in convincing them to help us!!!

CarrieP

6. nantomsuethom

nantomsuethom Approved members

We also post flyers in the pediactric offices and occassionally get permission to post in the public library.
    I don't understand how HIPA would be violated. If the flyers were given to the student the family makes the choice if they want to go or not.