- advertisement -

Float trip with a pump

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by U of I Mom, May 30, 2014.

1. U of I Mom

U of I Mom Approved members

My son is going on a 2 day float trip at the beginning of June. Any ideas for keeping his pump dry? He was thinking of enclosing it in ziplock bags. Also, he is concerned that if his canoe overturns, his site might pull out, leaving him with a pump that is not only submerged but lost in the river. So, he is looking for ways to tether the pump to his body.

It should be a fun trip. His Dad and several uncles are going. Everyone is an adult and aware that he has a pump, so nobody will be trying to tip over his canoe on purpose; he is just considering things that could go wrong.

Thanks for any suggestions!

2. twintype1s

twintype1s Approved members

3. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I purchased an aquapak for my DD a few years ago. It can keep your son's pump dry. Tip: I had to heck of a time getting her pump in the pak. I cut the foot off of some nylons and put the pump in that first, then it could slip into the pak without any difficulty.
    My DD is going cayoneering in June...lots of water. I plan on getting some vet wrap to put on her site...she wears it on her arm. I will also be getting some tagaderm +pad to cover her dex site. Both of these products were mentioned on CWD and can be found on amazon. One other idea is a mini water proof pak that can hang on a lanyard for fast acting glucose.

GOOD LUCK to your son, I hope the trip is a success!

4. Cheetah-cub

Cheetah-cub Approved members

Anyone know if this Aquapak works well for the Dexcom monitor too?

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

The aquapak I have is for just the pump. I have been looking online for products that can be used to carry DD's dex receiver. I did find this DryPak that might be a good solution, http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dry-Pak-Waterproof-Cell-Phone-Case/2553353?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_top&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id=76592628056&category=0%3A3944%3A96469%3A133271%3A1072787&client_guid=0fb93fde-a6be-4c47-a8b3-ad4e969b23c7&config_id=2&parent_item_id=12186108&guid=cb6c71e7-18ae-43c5-9f2b-7e6869a45423&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n. I am just not sure how heavy the Dex receiver will be hanging on my DD's neck, but it is a possibility. I also found some clear waterproof mini paks that I could put the receiver in and then put that pak in a small spibelt. Good luck on your search!

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

We didn't have good luck with the Aquapack. It got holes from pebbles at the beach, burned open on the slides at the waterpark, etc......so we cut-the-cord and my daughter wears the Omnipod for the summer months. For $199, I consider it a better investment than another aquapack, plus it gives us a back-up pump.

7. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have been known to use my "Food Saver" to vacuum pack my dd's receiver, more than a few days in the Lazy river at the water park totally submerged. (We do have backup receiver)