- advertisement -

Flip Flop Question (non-D)

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by mamattorney, May 20, 2013.

1. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

I haven't had a 3/4 year old in a few years and can't remember . . .

My littlest child will turn 4 in late July. So he'll be 3 for half the summer, 4 for the rest. Is that old enough to wear flip flops without a back? I absolutely can't remember. In fact, when my middle guy was this age, crocs were all the rage and I think I went in that direction that year. So it's been a really long time :p

He seems too old for full on little kid sandals, but if I buy him flip flops, I don't want them falling off all summer. I usually buy the kids the Teva Mush ones because they are softer between the toes and really cushy, but they aren't the 2 for $5 Old Navy kind and I don't want to waste the money if its not a good idea.

Anyone recently have a 3/4 year old that can chime in?

2. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

My 11 year old is usually shoeless.. She prefers barefeet to anything else... IS there an age for different types of shoes? If he can keep them on they should be good?

3. mamattorney

I think the big question is if he can keep them on. At some point they figure out how to keep them on, but I don't know if it's this year or next year.

4. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I can't remember either but would it be worth it to get the $2 Old Navy ones and see if he can keep them on or not before getting the nicer ones? Then you can keep the Old Navy ones for backup?

5. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

Kids are all different and "get" different things at different ages. Mine was all good at 3 with flip-flops, though, for what it's worth. She loved those danged things.

That being said! I got her some real mocs (pretty cheaply), and she really, really adored those things!

I got them from Leather Unlimited as a kit which made them very inexpensive. The kit's very easy to do.

Depending on what you like, of course. I love the "feel" of bare feet and will wear mocs myself all summer whenever possible. So yeah. Your mileage may vary. :p

6. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

My daughter was wearing flip flops without backs at 2. That being said it all depends on the kid. She has friends at 7 who still trip and can't run let alone walk in flip flops.

7. mamattorney

I forgot about this question. I decided to test them out before placing the order on zappos. We went to famous footwear and, first the only ones they had in his size had backs which I was trying to avoid, but second, even trying to get them on was a disaster! He couldn't figure out which toes they went between and the goal was to have him putting on his own summer shoes, not me doing it for him.

He kept walking right out of crocs, so we went with the Nike Sunray - Nike's (sort of) version of Keens. They aren't my favorite, but at least he can get them on, even though he has to sit down to do it!

We'll try again next year.

8. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

We are a family of keen wearers.... flip flops are reserved almost exclusively for the pool and showers while camping.

My kids were able to "get" how to wear/walk in them by about 4, but none of them like wearing them for longer stretches.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

My kids wear Keens or Crocs. They only wear flip flops to the pool. Otherwise, they aren't big fans of wearing them (one too many bumped toes).