- advertisement -

First vacation since diagnosis...HELP PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by polly, Jul 6, 2011.

1. polly

polly Approved members

We are about to embark on our first beach trip since my five-year-old's diagnosis. We are new to pumping. Any advise on supplies to take? Recommendations for pumping on the beach? Thanks!

2. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

We live about 5-10 miles from the beach so we go often... I pack plenty of snacks(some with carbs and some free like string cheese or boild eggs), juice, and water. That about covers it for us. As far as pumping we are waiting for her start date but I imagine we will disconnect when we go due to the heat and all the running around. Hope you have fun!

3. MamaTuTu

of course take a meeter, test strips, glucagon the usual. It will be fun :D

4. mom2Hanna

mom2Hanna Approved members

One thing I keeP in the beach bag is a small spray bottle so I can flush sand from around her pump site. And extra sites for if it falls off. A cooler bag for the pump because she doesn't wear it in the water.

5. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

The pump should be kept out of the sun. It's good to wear a t-shirt or other beach clothing that covers the pump. Also a water bottle to wash sand off before blood checks, etc. A small cooler with an ice pack is a good idea too for insulin or other supplies that should not get heated by the sun.

6. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I think it's very important that you take someone who has had a kid with diabetes for at least three years, as an adviser.

I will selflessly volunteer.

(I've been listening to Jimmy Buffet lately, it's making me desperate. . )

Have a ball!

7. Nobby1

Nobby1 Approved members

I took a small ziplock baggy which I zipped the pump into and then into the pouch for the times when she is connected and playing on the beach, not actually swimming. Also an old toothbrush to gently brush the site - sometimes sand gets in and you battle to get it plugged/unplugged. Lots of extra sites and obviously testing supplies. Have fun and watch out for lows as the little ones are very active. I would get mine out of the surf, test and have something uncovered if her bs was on the good side as it tended to drop quickly.

8. Tigerlilly's mom

Tigerlilly's mom Approved members

If you have them, use the clip that goes into the site when you disconnect. Once sand gets into the site, no amount of water will clear it out. (Yes, we know this from past experience, and yes it's happened more than once;))

9. DsMom

DsMom Approved members

Extras of all pump supplies...I bring much more than I think I'll need. Last year, we used band-aids to cover the pump site...because the plug will get stuck with sand and salt water. However, this year I plan to try to use the IV 3000 tape to cover the site...don't know why I didn't think of it last year. Also, when I get my son back to the hotel room, we bathe him before we reconnect him to make sure any sand that may have snuck under the band-aid/tape is flushed out. Then, we "unplug" and reconnect him.

Have fun!

10. MamaTuTu

My daughter has only had D for about 3 months but my Husband has had D for 5 1/2 years. During that time we have been to the beach more times than I can count, its never been an issue. Not trying to be an "adviser" just letting her know what has worked for us many MANY times. No one in my family pumps yet but I "imagine" what we will do in the future... That's all.

11. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

This was just my joke that I wanted to go to the beach, too!
    Stupid joke!:eek::p

12. MamaTuTu

I got it now....;)

13. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

No advice on the pumping as we were not yet pumping on our last/first beach trip, but wanted to warn you that it is quite possible to completely ruin a meter by allowing it to get wet. That was the lesson we learned on our beach trip. I kept it in the cooler in a baggie but it was left only partially zipped closed and got drenched by day's end. Never did recover.

My main advice is to make sure you have backups for EVERYTHING. And have fun!

14. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

We just returned from our first beach vacation since dx..... The recommendations above are great! CWD allowed us to be well prepared.

We did have to toss some insulin though. We used the frio, inside a soft sided cooler bag, inside a backpack and it still got way to hot on the beach. I recommend a plastic type cooler now. At the time it seemed a hassle to pack but trying to understand her sudden jump in numbers proved more of a hassle :cwds:

We also started leaving the supplies off the beach and in the shade just in case.

15. McKenna'smom

McKenna'smom Approved members

The frio packs require air circulation to keep the insulin cool through evaporation, so stuffing them in a back pack restricts that process and they don't stay cool. When used correctly they do work.

16. SFGingerBeerSoda

SFGingerBeerSoda Approved members

Thanks, that makes sense up until that day we had just thrown it in the backpack... sounds like I steamed cooked it then... so much to learn :)

17. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Be sure she drinks plenty of fluids. It's easy to get dehydrated at the beach and that will mess with her BG. Have fun!

18. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I thought it was great advice:rolleyes::p

19. acjsmom

acjsmom Approved members

My DD's blood sugars have never been an issue when we are at the beach or she is playing in a pool. I echo what the others say, make sure the pump stays cool. Check her every hour she is off the pump. I think we have only had to correct once or twice while at the beach. We have even eaten lunch on the beach. I just hooked her up and let her get her bolus. With all of the activity, she didn't seem to need the basal.