- advertisement -

First time low. Quite scary for us.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JeremysDad, Jan 5, 2010.

1. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

This evening we experienced our first low BG. Jeremy had all the symptoms. Dizziness, sweating, heart racing, saying that he feels like he will pass out. His BG was 52. I gave him a small bag of fruit snacks (19 carbs) which brought him back up to 121 after 15 minutes.

I had visions of breaking open the glucogon and calling 911.

It's good that it happened at home and not 30 minutes earlier when he was walking in the mall with his friend. Now we know what the low feels like.

2. nmco123

nmco123 Approved members

Glad to hear he was home and that he noticed. My son is only 6 and he was 49 the other day and said he felt "fine" I dont think he can recogonzie lows....scary to think of him being a teenager and going out to the mall....

We treated with 4 oz of juice and it was up to 143 in 20 mins.

Nicole-- Phila.
    Son, Colin 6yrs dx 12/24/09

3. buggle

buggle Approved members

I remember Brendan's first low and we were both terrified. It happened right after school as we were walking to the playground to let him hang out. He told me he felt like he was going to die. It was so, so scary.

I'm so sorry that you guys have to go through this. Just believe us when we tell you it will get easier over time.

4. nmco123

nmco123 Approved members

Thank you Rella for the continued encourgement....It means a lot to hear others know what we are all going through and to know that this will get easier over time is encouraging :)

5. CButler

CButler Approved members

It is good he recognized it. It's scary to think what could happen, but you handled it well.

6. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

It's amazing how quickly Jeremy has adapted. What had helped was the 3 training sessions we went through although no amount of training can take the place of experiencing low BG firsthand. I still got my folder out and read about low BG as I was giving him the fruit snacks. There is no visual clue when BG is high but when it is low, you know right away.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well done in making it through your first low. You see now the importance of having carbs to treat lows ALWAYS handy. It is good that he could feel it so strongly, with a little practice he'll be able to feel it earlier when it is first coming on so you can catch it and treat it then.. :cwds:

8. sooz

sooz Approved members

Lows are so scary! I have to say, Hailey does not always know right away when she is low. Sometimes I can tell by looking at her because her eyes look sunken and she just looks different to me and is more quiet..but today she had a super low..39 :eek:..and I was watching her the whole time. She had been 181 after school and we were headed to her little play/gym class..181 was a good number for her to go into that class but she wanted to eat a yogurt which was 18 grams..so i bolused her, but I backed the pump back to just cover the food and not the correction factor..at the gym she was much more active that usual, running for a straight 15 minutes plus jumping on the trampoline and being very excited and happy to be playing..about 30 min later she came and asked to be tested..39!! We immediately gave her 15 g. of juice and an 18g. 100 calorie bag of cookies..she was 105 20 min later..and 149 at dinner

it may get easier it some ways to treat the lows, but I can tell you, I was shaken to the core..I asked Hailey what her low felt like today, because she didnt slow down at all until she came to me, I said "did you just run out of energy?" and she said "no, I felt like I was going to go to sleep"..:eek:

Jeremy sounds like a really smart boy, and the fact that you are working together to figure things out is HUGE..I know Hailey will get better at things as she gets older but right now it appears she mostly recognizes her lows when they go below 50..her lowest ever so far was 32..thankfully we keep a good watch on her and they are not common.. I totally understand how you feel !!:eek::(

9. sam1nat2

sam1nat2 Approved members

Something you will figure out soon is also that different methods are necessary for different types of lows.
    I find that fruit snacks are good for a low that isn't too alarming, but one of those OMG lows, 50's and below, that we use something more fast acting such as soda.

At night when he is low, I don't use the fast acting as much as I know that when he is sleeping he shouldn't be dropping as fast as if he just came in from running around. I just found him to be 78 at 11:30 pm so I gave him some "strong" chocolate milk in hopes that it will keep him where he needs to be the rest of the night, alhtough I'll be checking agin at some point

10. Gracie'sMom

Gracie'sMom Approved members

We were lucky enough to have our first low in the hospital when the endocrinologist was standing right there. She was so calm, my dd's dinner had just been delivered and she said, "She needs to start eating now," and she ate and she calmly just talked about what to do with the lows. They can be scary, though. We are struggling with trying to leave her home for periods of time with her brother who is turning 13, because of the lows. Once he's had a few, and his friends have watched him, they will be able to help him in the future also in the event that he's super-low and can't help himself.

11. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

It is good that Jeremy could feel his low, and that you did what you needed to do to treat it.

People treat lows in a huge variety of ways. Remember that glucose is the key to brining up BGs fast. We use glucose tabs, but are switching to skittles as they are just as fast, cheaper and more fun for the boys (1 skittle = 1 carb). Juice is a slower sugar, but works for many people.

Unfortunately, lows are a fact of life for people living with diabetes. 52 is pretty low and I know you were scared. Good job. It does get easier. Always, always, always, carry fast carbs with you (or your son when he is on his own). The small cylinders of glucose tabs (from pharmacy, Wal-mart, Target, etc.) are pretty easy to carry and aren't as tempting as the skittles are in the pocket!

12. fdlafon

fdlafon Approved members

Not glad that he experienced a low, but glad that you both were able to work through it!
    Good job!
    As Wilf said, it will be no time, and he will be able to tell that he is dropping, and can treat prior to the low reading. Every D experience has taught me something new.

Our kids are amazing aren't they?

13. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Sorry you had to see that, but I'm so glad you were with him when it happened. Now you will know. In some ways it will be a relief to you that it's already happened, because at least you know what you're looking for now instead of waiting for it to hit you!

I just wanted to echo what some of the PPs have said...how low the low is determines how you treat it. Our guide is that if Jayden is around 70, which is low but not scary low, she will treat with something that will bring her up more slowly. We have found that a bite-sized Snickers bar is fantastic for this. If the 70 is around bedtime, she'll eat the bite-sized Snickers and drink about 4oz of milk with it. That will hold her steady all night most of the time. If the low is below 70, we'll do a fast-acting sugar like Skittles or a glucose tab or two, or about 1/3 of a can of soda. Then she'll eat a peanut butter cracker.

As you get further into things, you'll see what works for your son, as will he, and treating the lows will become second nature to both of you.

Good job, Dad and Jeremy!

14. shekov

shekov Approved members

Good job!

The first low is so scary. I remember sitting alone in my room after dd's first low, shaking and wondering how I was going to manage this disease.

It does get easier. It's great that he can feel his lows so strongly and knew how to treat it!!!!:)

15. Omo2three

Omo2three Approved members

Being aware of those lows happening can be a good thing. Nice Job Jeremy in being quick on treating that low.

Ambrea can tell when she feels low because she feels hungry and shaky.

btw I don't know why ...but shopping always makes her low, esp mall shopping. So we always make a stop at DQ:)

16. Boo

Boo Approved members

Congratulations to both of you for doing all the right things!

That said...get used to it. :( You will be seeing many more of those in the days, months, and years to come. Unfortunately, the downside to keeping good control of BG are the lows. Just always be prepared with fast acting glucose nearby. We have tabs and juice boxes stashed everywhere...bedside table drawer, the car, the backpack, the bicycle seat bag, coat pockets, pants pockets (many times a baggie of tabs has gone through my washer/dryer and come out a mushy mess), etc. Your son is of an age that he is doing more things with friends (and without you), so he and his friends need to be aware of what to do in case of an emergency. I am not a huge proponent of cell phones for kids, but this is a great example of a good excuse for a kid to have one. If he doesn't already, I'd consider getting him one.

He sounds like a good, responsible kid. That'll be helpful. Be sure to acknowledge when he does things right. ;) And don't let him fall into the attitude that he is "fine" when he drops into the 50's (because "nothing happened last time"). My son tends to think this way, and it just becomes a slippery slope...the next thing you know those 50's can become 40's, then 30's...

Fortunately, we've been at this for almost 6 years and have not used glucagon yet-knock on wood (really only one low that truly frightened me when he became quite belligerent and uncooperative...in the 20's). Stay on top of things and you'll do fine.

17. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

The first low is scary, but the great thing is your son felt it before the sugar was very low.

My son feels lows when he is in the 40s. I wish he would notice sooner.

Type 1 Diabetics do not consistently have sugars in range. We do a poor job being a pancreas, even under the best of conditions.

You will get used to the lows -- just treat. Later try to determine what caused the law and then move on.

Your son will experience lots of highs as well -- these generally need insulin and analysis as to what happened.

Rejoice in the days the sugar are mostly in range. Usually days like this are the exception, not the rule.

18. Brandi's mom

Brandi's mom Approved members

I wish I could find something that I knew would bring Brandi's BG up quickly...we had a low a couple weeks ago that would NOT come back up. We were out of glucose tabs so we tried all sorts of things, until I finally broke out the frozen orange juice and fixed her a glass.

19. crazymom05

crazymom05 New Member

My 4 yr old son was daignosed on December 14. I'm not looking forward to experiencing our first severe low although I know it will happen. I also have a 12 yr old son with T1 that was diagnosed at 5 1/2. I so wish I could remember back to when he first started to be able to feel his lows. My 4 yr old did have a low of 66 today and he was a little crabby at the time but he was also woke from him nap so not sure which caused the crabbiness or if it was a combination of both. My 12 yr old has had several scary lows over the years. I believe his lowest was a 23. Yes - 23! I quickly juiced him and then after he was at a safe number again, I then broke down and cried. I so hate that I have to start this whole journey over with another child and hate that another child has to deal with this crap. Good luck on your new journey. Remember, it will never be easy but will get easier. You will be a pro at handling it all before you know it :)

20. Tweety8

Tweety8 Approved members

I am glad Jeremy is ok!! I know all too well that feeling of a low. I had to actually chase a low last week. Not fun.

I learned from the parents on this site when Frankie was first diagnosed that besides juice, frosting is a good one too to bring his numbers up. I guess it's a good way for my 4 year old. Even if she's low at night, and I have to wake her up, she never fights me on FROSTING :)

I have cans and squeeze bags of it strategically placed around my house.

My husbands Endo today reminded me that maple syrup is also a good one? I never thought of that one.