- advertisement -

first time ~~~~~> LO

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by czardoust, Mar 13, 2011.

1. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

katerina cant tolerate the 28.0 units of lantus that her endo said she needed to cover this puberty, we found out two nights ago. 27.0 is ok :rolleyes: although it leaves her in the 200's all day and rising during the night, 27.5 i think will be the "new balance" for now. LO was scary, but she did NOT seize! so thankful for angels watching over her. it happened at 9:30 at night when she was already asleep. i couldnt get comfy in bed and kept thinking of her, it wasn't time to check her yet (that was scheduled 11 pm). she simply called out "momma!" and i bolted in her room, checked her and it said LO. since she was able to eat (HOW?) i gave her a slice of pie, which shot her up to 44, then another slice, 75.....so 30 points average per slice means that during the "LO" she was around 10-14! that sucks. shes fine though..... but i have more greys!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

LOs are scary, I agree. Pie probably isn't the best thing to treat them with, though. I use glucose tabs (or better, glucose gel) if I get a number below 20-30, because they just need the fastest acting treatment possible.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I don't think juice is the fastest acting treatment. Fructose, the sugar which is in fruit, is not glucose, and the body has to digest it before it can enter the bloodstream as glucose, which takes time. From what I've been told, a treatment containing pure glucose is best in emergency situations.

4. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

Ewgh! Glad she didn't have a seizure...
    grey hairs make us look wiser.. :D

5. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

The high amount of fat in a pie crust would have slowed the absorption of any fast acting carb. Glucose tabs, regular soda, granulated sugar would bring up a LO much quicker. After the low is brought back up in range, then you can eat a snack with protein in it-before pumping we did half a pb sandwich. I'm glad you caught this in time.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm sorry she had a 'low" - it's amazing that she could eat! (though like the pps suggested glucose tabs or juice might have brought her up faster)

I don't know that I'd assume that on it's the 28u dose is to blame. If 27u is leaving her in the 200's and going even higher at night :eek: then I'd really wonder if the low was caused by a bolus error rather than her basal.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
  7. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

This is true, from what I've been told.

8. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

How did she do when that pie finally kicked in? Those must have been some teeny tiny slices, I count about 45 grams for an average slice of apple.

9. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

Sorry you had a scare...How long had it been since her last bolus?

10. wilf

wilf Approved members

The LO was not caused by a 1 unit increase in her Lantus.

You need to review other aspects of the day to figure out what happened, so you can prevent a recurrence.

You also need to review your protocol for treating lows. As others have pointed out, there are other means of bringing BG up faster.

Good luck.. :cwds:

11. lynn

lynn Approved members

We had our first LO recently too. Scary!!!!!

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I agree with the others that the Lantus didn't cause that low. In fact, if she's high all day and most of the night, it sounds like it needs to be increased.

I'd get in touch with your endo team, because things sound pretty out of whack.

13. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

Sorry you had a 'lo'.. I agree with the others, something that absorbs in the mouth, like glucose tabs, gel, honey etc, would be much faster and safer with pie.. with a lo she could pass out at any time, I wouldn't chance food... I, too, am curious how her bg was the rest of the day. If she's bouncing around a lot put a call into the endo.. bouncing around can't feel good.

14. czardoust

czardoust Approved members

I agree, I think I over bolused at dinner, and that was only two hours before the LO, she had one hour left on her bolus. The pie was buttermilk pie (pure unadulterated rich sugar baby, with just a HINT of crust).

15. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

Buttermilk pie is bursting with fat from all the butter, buttermilk, and eggs. And that's not even counting the crust.

16. Heather(CA)

And, what were her numbers over night when the dose was 27. Did she have any extra exercise during the day when she had the low at night?

17. Heather(CA)

That's why I was asking, it could be an over bolus and her carb ratio may need to be changed. Try having something very easy to judge for dinner tonight then see what happens keeping everything the same.

I agree with everyone else about what to use for lows. But, while I think glucose tabs are quicker., I afraid they could choke so I opt for juice.

18. Dmama24/7/365

Dmama24/7/365 Approved members

How scary!

Glad all ended well.

I agree with others with anything that low, we use frosting in cheek, honey, glucose gel or glucagon. Because the risk of passing out is higher at those levels the faster acting the better. I would be concerned about choking on food or hard candy and juice doesnt work fast enough for us when hes under 50.