- advertisement -

first time flying

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by steph, Aug 13, 2012.

1. steph

steph Approved members

I think I have things under control, but just thought I'd check in. I am going on a 10 day trip with my 2yo for the first time. I am planning to bring double what I think we will need for D supplies and keep it in 2 diff carry-ons. So 2 complete sets that have meter, glucagon, insulin, cold packs and all the works.

anyone have any trouble bringing juice? should i just bring candy instead and buy more juice when we get to our destination? i have the original medication boxes with the prescription labels... do i need actual copies of her prescriptions or a note from her doctor or anything else? She's not on a pump, and it's only a 2hr time diff, so i don't think i should have to worry about any dosing changes.

flying for the first time with a toddler would have me slightly nervous in itself. i bought plenty of new activities to occupy her for the flight. but add on to that the crazy TSA scrutiny and having liquids and syringes adds a little bit to the nervousness. i just want to make sure i haven't overlooked anything. thanks.

2. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We have never had a problem with our D supplies, including juice. I don't always bring juice, but when I do, they don't care. Frankly, I've never had them show the slightest bit of interest in our D supplies. They see them all the time. We never carry prescriptions or doctors' notes, and it has not been an issue for us.

Good luck! I'd be more stressed about flying with a 2 year old, than the D stuff! ;)

3. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

We fly 4-5 times a year and with two diabetics on pumps it can get interesting. :) Skip the juice if you can, it will make it easier. Parents can travel with juice with toddlers, and obviously with a medical condition but they will still sometimes insist on swabbing the outside of the boxes to check for bad stuff and slow down the process which is already fun if you are like us and have a carseat and stroller to lug with the toddler. I kept Dum Dum lollipops in my bag and smarties for lows. We ended up letting her have a lollipop to help with the pressure on the plane and just bolused for it. I understand on shots that would be different!

You will only need the boxes for the insulin and glucagon. Honestly they barely looked at them. I just had them in my 3-1-1 bag with our open bottles floating around loose and it wasn't a problem. The prescription label is enough you don't need anything else.

4. caspi

caspi Approved members

We brought juice boxes and at first the TSA stated they weren't allowed until I showed him the note from the doctor. My son was on MDI at the time and we had no issues. My personal philosophy with TSA agents is that if you're nice to them, they'll be nice to you (most of the time ;))

Hope you have a great time! :)

5. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Not at all, ABIA let me right through with juice boxes (the little ones).. I would still carry some kind of "backup" glucose just in case they don't let it through, but if you declare it as medically necessary they shouldn't have a problem with it. You can bring bottled water through too. Those don't have to go into a quart size bag, just toss them in the basket and let the screener know why you have them.

TSA will be quick to say it's not allowed, but don't let that worry you too much - you can take them, and you don't need a dr's note, just let them know what you need them for, and maybe even print the page on the TSA's website about traveling with hidden disabilities, and you should be fine.

I'm flying in less than a week myself and I'm actually more concerned with getting all 3 kids through security by myself than anything D related.

6. Debdebdebby13

Debdebdebby13 Approved members

We fly quite a bit and we have never had any trouble. I put all of her D supplies in a plastic baggy and tell the TSA person that they are diabetes supplies for my DD and they nod at me and we go on about our day. They barely seem to register that I've said anything, lol.

I am a little concerned about our next trip this Wednesday. This will be the first time we've flown since DD started with the Omnipod and I'm wondering what they are going to say. Will it set off the metal detector, does anyone know? We obviously can't remove it before going through. I hope it's not a problem.

7. NeurosurgeryNP

NeurosurgeryNP Approved members

Last time I flew in April, i did bring a few juice boxes as usual and automatically got the pat down because they couldn't open the boxes to test them. Other D supplies were not a worry.

8. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

We flew with two podders last week. :) The pod does not set off the metal detector. But if it is visible (we had ours on our arms) then they will ask you what it is. I explained that I didn't think I could go through the full body scanner with it on and they had us go through the metal detector instead (both Boston and Charlotte) without a problem. They did have us put our hand on the pod and then swabbed our hands for "evil things" and we were on our way very quickly. The carseat took longer to inspect as it doesn't fit through the xray belt. I did go through the full body scanner back in May when I didn't know to ask not to and that pod seemed to work fine after.

9. 22jules

22jules Approved members

We just flew for the first time and I second that as long as everything is put in a clear bag with prescription labels, there is no problem. We didn't bring juice, thought it would be easier, cleaner to bring smarties and glucose tabs.

On a side note--since my daughter is pumping and there was a full body scanner which Medtronic says you can't go through with the pump, we told the TSA agent that my daughter had on an insulin pump so they could swab her hands for explosives, etc. or whatever they wanted to do. The guy goes "Wow, I have diabetes and I'm not THAT far along to be on a pump.":eek:

Idiot--this is the guy in charge of protecting our airways!

10. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

A tip a well-travelled friend gave me when her and my kids were small: Take lots of wet-wipes. The kids at that age can amuse themselves for long periods of time "cleaning" the tray, arm rests, windows, etc., etc. :D

11. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I have flown many times since being dxd, and a number of times since the tighter security... before my bag goes through, I always just say "I'm a diabetic, so I have medication, needles, and juice to treat low blood sugars in my bag"
    I have NEVER had an issue... actually one time, I said what I always do, got through without issue, and when I got to my gate, opened my bag to pull out my book and found a full 20oz bottle of water that I had forgotten was in my bag! Oops! I normally bring the small 4oz. Juicy Juice boxes and have never had issues...
    I never bring prescriptions, my insulin vials are never in the boxes, and I never have a note from the doc...
    (Why do I have a feeling I may have just cursed myself for my next flight by saying this... hmm... :rolleyes:)

12. steph

steph Approved members

thanks for all the tips. i didnt think to have it all in plastic bags, so i will do that. i will def bring lollipops for the ear popping or even just a treat. and i will def bring the wet wipes for enetertainment bc my daughter is a cleaning fool. she loves "dusting" as she calls it. i was planning on putting everything in one bag to get through security, and then separating half into another bag at the gate. i do have the print out of TSA's hidden isabilities guidelines, so i'll probably bring that along just in case we get an overzealous screener. DD does great on ling car trips, so i'm hoping she'll do the same on the plane.

13. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

None of those things are required.. the TSA website is actually fairly clear on that point :)

RE: Wet wipes, individually wrapped are fine, but a container/bag of wipes will probably not make it through security. There's a whole long list of "liquids" that won't make it through. A PB&J sandwich won't even make it through.

14. steph

steph Approved members

RE: Wet wipes, individually wrapped are fine, but a container/bag of wipes will probably not make it through security. There's a whole long list of "liquids" that won't make it through. A PB&J sandwich won't even make it through.[/QUOTE]

Wipes are allowed. TSA actually recommends reducing liquids such as sunblock, insect repellant and soaps by replacing with the wet wipes version. I checked, and baby wipes are allowed in any size box, as long as it fits in your carry on. How else would people be able to change their child's dirty diaper? My 25 month old isn't quite accident free yet in the potty training area, so we will have wipes on hand and be using pull ups for the flight.