- advertisement -

First time flying since dx, what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by JamieTheTiger, Nov 18, 2008.

1. JamieTheTiger

JamieTheTiger Approved members

IIRC, it was mentioned to me while Emma was in the hospital that we would need a doctor's note to travel with her diabetic supplies. We're flying for Thanksgiving, so I'm going to call her endo's office tomorrow and ask about said note. Altho Southwest's site does say that needles/syringes can be carried so long as the medicine that needs those things is being carried.

When packing do I:
    Pack all needles and lancets I need for the entire trip in my carryon? I'm guessing yes, in case luggage is lost.

Will they have a problem with a glucagon kit? I'll plan to take cake gel (Em won't eat the glucose tabs)...I can get juice on the plane if needed (altho my daughter is a weirdo who has never in her entire life liked fruit juice and own't drink it willingly)...and of course, cookies or whatever if she goes low.

I've flown several times recently, but on my own and I haven't brought food into the airport with me...will security get cranky about packages of cookies (ie, those 100 cal packs)?

2. grantsmom

grantsmom Approved members

I had read somewhere that flying/altitude can effect BG. I have heard it causes it to go down, but with my son it goes way up.

Maybe your endo can fill you in.

Our endo gave us a letter that we are suppose to show security along with all the D supplies.

3. JamieTheTiger

JamieTheTiger Approved members

I hadn't even thought of fluctuations due to flying! Huh. Yes, will talk to endo about that.

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

Bring all your supplies with you in the carryon luggage -- even as much juice or food as you think necessary.

You don't need the letter -- I have never been asked for it and it is not required.

The luggage is scanned. I have never had any say anything about the medical supplies. I did have a problem with too much juice. We carry tabs now to avoid the hassle.

Traveling with the supplies is no problem at all.

5. DylansMum

DylansMum Approved members

I had a letter for Dylan when we flew to Australia, and that was just a 3/12 hour flight and I didn't even get asked, and that was International flights with security etc, they picked up his medication through the scan, asked what it was, had a quick look and we were on our way, I told them I had his insulin, tubing, needles etc, but they didn't want to look at it.

All was fine.

Have a great flight.

6. linda

linda Approved members

The letter is a standard expalining condition and need for supplies. We show with supplies. No problem kit part of supplies, pack in clear plastic.
    HAVE ALL ORIGINAL SCRIPTS ON CONTAINERS OR BRING ALONG!!!!!
    IF YOU FORGET ANYTHING< ADVISE YOUR LOCAL PHARMACY TO SEND INFO TO WHERE YOU ARE!! (WE ONCE FORGOT EMS NEEDLE TOPS WHEN SHE WAS ON MDI AND OUR PHARMACY GOT THEM FORWARDED TO HOTEL!!!!

;) Keep in a seperate bag (carry on)...When we travel, I also kept small amount of "in-use" supplies in my large pocketbook with xtra kit. Now that Em is teen, she carries a pocketbook with her usual stash of supplies. (mine is a back up)...Interesting about somones post about the "amount" of juice boxes...what an annoyance!!!!

No fluctuations noted here in blood sugars, could be the travel and eating schedule change? awaking earlier etc.?..

Kept insulin and extra glucagon kit in cool pouch and stored in frig at destination. Dont forget water....(going to family home or hotel? dont forget need frig if hotel....
    HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

Alex flies fairly regularily now that he's going to college out of state.

Definitely pack all your D supplies in your carryons. I'd even divide it up so that some is in one person's bag and some in another bag. Take doubles of everything you are taking (meters, batteries for meters, etc) just in case something gets lost or breaks. (I'm sure there are drugstores where you are going but why spend Tday trying to find an open one?)

To go thru TSA, put any liquids that are diabetes supplies in one ziploc bag (don't worry about amounts) and put your other liquids in the quart size bag by TSA rules (3 oz containers, 1quart bag). Declare that your child has diabetes and these are his meds and they won't bat an eye.

Alex likes to take juice thru and they let him but someone always fusses about it so if it were just me, I'd buy juice on the other side of the TSA checkpoint. We also buy water on the other side but you could take an empty container for water thru and fill it at a water fountain.

The gel should not be a problem and food is definitely not a problem...take more than you expect to need. Plane rides can get boring for kids....food and toys are good things.

We usually carry a letter from the Dr and prescription labels but they never look at them.

Have fun!

8. maddiesdad

maddiesdad Approved members

In terms of BG levels...

My daughter is 12 so your mileage may vary, but she went WAY up. It was a 3 hr flight from Seattle to LA. Some of it might have been due to anxiety, but in any case, she was 120 in the airport and then was high 200s in no time. If you are a pumper, I suggest a temp basal.

Security checkpoint was as simple as could be in Seattle and LA. They clearly had seen supplies before. We used a big ziplock and brought the scripts. They hardly even looked at it at all. Mentioned diabetic supplies when we got to the front of the line.

GOOD LUCK!

9. Nova

Nova Approved members

I came here to ask this same question. I will be flying with both of my D son's at Christmas time and I am trying to plan ahead.

10. taylor'smom

taylor'smom Approved members

My daughter usually goes really high when flying but when we went from the east coast to west coast (3 hours earlier in time) she actually went really low on the plane, and that was a first. We fought lows the whole time we were there and when we came back she went high again. Strange. And we did get asked for the doctor's note-and we weren't even flying internationally!

11. Schpoodle's Dad

Schpoodle's Dad Approved members

We do not pack all our the syringes in our carry-ons, but we always carry our 'scripts and a letter of medical neccessity so we can buy more if they ever get lost. We carry all of the temperature sensitive items (insulin, strips etc) in our carry-ons with ice packs.

Never had a problem with Glucagon.

Don't count on it. If there is turbulence, no one will be moving around and you might need something quickly. Best to bring your own. We've only been questioned once when we had 'a few' juice boxes with us. We explained that our daughter was diabetic and we were having issues keeping her blood sugars up. TSA was cooperative and there was not an issue.

Nope. Just explain that your daughter is diabetic.

We've traveled a quite a few times and very rarely do we get questioned about any of the supplies. To put it in perspective, we routinely carry in our carry-on:

1) 30-50 syringes (with more in the checked luggage)
    2) 2-3 meters with 100-200 strips and lancets
    3) ketone meter with separate strips
    4) two types of insulin, with spares
    5) glucagon and cake gel
    6) 3-5 juice boxes
    7) snacks, including applesauce, yoghurt
    8) 2-3 ice packs
    9) Ventalin and inhalors
    10) a list of all her 'scripts
    11) letter of medical neccessity

We look like a walking drugstore and have never had an issue. Just be polite and tell TSA when you are checking in that your daughter is diabetic and they are usually very accomodating. It also helps to tell the flight attendants too so they are aware in case anything goes wrong. It seems to work because even though we carry all this, the only things we've had questioned and removed were tweezers and nail clippers.

12. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

We just flew to Disney World in September. No one even looked at the letter. No one gave her insulin and supplies a second look. I was nervous because her Lantus is a sample, so there isn't a prescription with her name on it like the rest of her supplies.

(We got more grief for C's canister of formula and epi pens.)

We packed it all it all in our carry on and brought plenty of juice and treats to eat including suckers. They didn't question the juice since it was in little cartons and saw all of the diabetic supplies.

13. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

If the TSA person gives you any hassle, ask for a supervisor. Sometimes the regular TSA people don't know the allowances for diabetics.

Leave extra time for a visual search of the bags with the D supplies.

14. Tripper

Tripper Approved members

Last Thursday I noticed that TSA had a separate line for "Families with medical supplies" or something close to that. The TSA is getting wiser. You won't have any problems, but just in case pack the RX for the insulin into your supplies kit.

If they question you, stay calm. Remember these are flunkies from the police academy. ;)