- advertisement -

First time at diabetes camp

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Momontherun, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Momontherun

Momontherun Approved members

Did you have a big meltdown or feel lost realizing you are suppose to not worry about diabetes for a week?

I dropped my 12 y/o at camp yesterday and I was excited about the opportunity.
    He was ready to go, no problems. Now, I should be relaxed and able to enjoy the rest of my family. At times, I am worried about how he is doing and how he is going to be when he gets back?

I know I need to get over it and relax because he is going to leave again and not with this level of support many times to come. This is the first time away from my husband and I since diagnosis.

2. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

DD was 11 when she first went to d-camp. She went for 2 weeks. I did not stop waking up at 3 am until about half way through the 2nd week. I felt so guilty that I could have a break from D, but she could not, that it was not that easy to enjoy my break. She, on the other hand, had absolutely the time of her life and considered herself extremely fortunate to have diabetes as it allowed her to go to the best camp ever.

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

The first year ashleigh went to camp i was a wreck. Thought about her constantly worried over how she was doing with her blood sugars. This year i enjoyed being diabetes free for a couple of days. And actually got to sleep more decent through the night

4. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It gets easier each time your child leaves home and then returns.

5. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

i sent my 9 year old first time on sunday. while there i was very impressed with the facility, people and knew i did a great thing for her. i was more worried about her having a good time and liking her cabin mates then anything else. im confident she was in good hands especially after hearing many great things from people who have been there. They definitely know what they are doing and pretty much have it down. i was emotional the first two days but knew i had to let it all go and take advantage of this time as i havent for 7 years. Try to enjoy your tine off as the days go by it does get easier.. Yes i felt very lost Sunday and monday not knowing what to do with myself. I am planning on a waterpark day with just me and my other daughter and will be nice as i wont have to worry and actually have a good time. Try to do things this week that you wouldnt normally do. I almost hate to say it but it feels very freeing which I didnt think i would feel. I do however miss my D very much and cant wait to pick her up on saturday. I too am worried about how she will be when she comes home. Alot of people say they become more independent but i hope she wont hate being home once she is. She wrote me and said she met many new friends, i see the online pictures every morning and looks like she is very happy and having a blast.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

LOL, and then you think...dang! I wish I had sent them longer:D

We were able to ease into camp by doing a mini-camp in the fall. That was hard for me, but when I saw how well she was cared for and how much fun she had, I was able to relax. It was a bit easier when she went that summer, and I actually managed to get a full nights sleep every night! Now, we all can't wait for camp to start and I anxiously check the online photos to make sure they are having fun! Never a problem...