- advertisement -

First recital since dx

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wvchinacat, May 4, 2009.

1. wvchinacat

wvchinacat Approved members

Ok - so I am getting nervous about Willow's recital at the end of the month. She will be back stage ( I am not allowed back there bc I am not a stage mom) or on stage from 5 -about 10pm. They are making exceptions for her to allow 1 snack at intermission and clear drinks as needed - but I am just so worried. I have no idea how stress, anxiety are going to be on her BG. I would think she will likely go low that night - but as soon as I turn down her basal will be the one night that she runs high. I have told the stage moms that she needs to be checked before and after each performance. She is in 5 numbers. I have explained that she will need food/drink if low and insulin if high and not to correct if under 250 before each performance. I am so nervous about her BG's that night.

I know I am not the first mom to send out a D kid on stage . . . what have you all done to prepare? Any tips? Things I should look out for? I do not want her unconnected for 5 hours - but I also do not want her going low bc of anxiety/stress. . . I had thougth about reducing basal by 20% for the duration of the show - The show is actually from 6:30-9:00 but she has to be there at 5 and will probably not be done until about 10 I was told.

I need some reassurance that it will all be fine!:cwds:
    Vicki

2. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I would treat only the lows -- not the highs. She won't be able to perform if low and the highs can be treated later. Since you can't operate the pump, getting someone trained will be quite an ordeal.

3. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

I think she still ought to tested a few times in 5 hours despite the "rules".
    The anxiety could send BG really high into ketone territory, or really low.
    Are they really telling you "no"?

4. meg:]

meg:] Approved members

I play violin and i perform A LOT. My school does SO much!

Stress and anxiety never really have affected my blood sugar, but thats just me. Does your daughter get nervous before a show? Usually I am just plain excited.

But I would just look out for lows, highs can be corrected later:)

I just realized, reading this over, that I was probably no help to you, but I thougt you might like a kids point of view:D

Hope I helped:p

5. 22jules

22jules Approved members

Does Willow test herself? You could give her a cell phone and have her text her numbers to you so you can advise her what to do. Just keep your phone on vibrate. Even if they don't allow phones for others backstage they have to make an exception in this case. She will do fine!!

6. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

She will be fine!!!!:) I know how you feel though - I think it stinks that they won't let you go backstage to quickly check on her. Does she have a phone? Do you know one of the moms who will be with Willow? I found that the easiest way for me and Jenny is with texting, I have my phone on silent, but hold it in my hand, so when she txts me with a #, I text her back with instructions.

This is what I do for dance performances, I feed her a sandwich before I'd send her backstage, and not cover for all the carbs (for a 60 carb sandwich I would cover for approx 45 carbs). I would make a cheat sheet, where it would exactly describe what to do for every bg. When I drop off my dd backstage, I set everything up (costumes, makeup, shoes, drinks and snacks to cover lows). As for snacks, nothing that could damage the costumes. Pretzels are a very good choice, since they bring the bg up fast and they are dry, so no danger for the outfits. Or also some crackers.

How much time does she have in between dances? If she has a few dances in a row, with not much time in between, I would tell her to eat 15 to 20 carbs before she goes on for the first time. Sometimes there is just no time to test in between dances, I would take that in account. I think the pressure to do a fast costume change and test is sometimes too much. In cases like that, I just tell her to munch a few pretzel sticks while she is changing.

Again, she will be fine! If you know she drops easily, I would also give her a bigger temp basal. I like Jenny to be between 150 and 200 for shows, the less swings the better. If she would be high during intermission I would give her a small correction, but also a small snack.

Enjoy the show!:cwds:

7. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

I am sorry and not trying to make light of your situation, but I only clicked in here because I thought it said 'first RECTAL after diagnosis":eek:

I wanted to find out why on earth a rectal exam was included in her appt. Obviously it isn't!

But good luck for the reCITAL!:D

8. wvchinacat

Thanks this was what I was thinking.

The stage moms seem fine with all that I am asking and I am writing up a 1 page "what to do in case of . . ." sheet that will hopefully cover it all. They perform at a municipal auditorium so many of the rules are not thier own - but the auditoriums rules. They are also afraid that if other moms see me going back that they will want to go back too . . .IDK??

I have told them that I will have my phone on vibrate and will be avail to text. Willow does know how to use her pump - she just needs supervision. I do not think I will go thru all the explaining. Just have them check to be sure that if she has to correct - she is not correcting too much . . .KWIM??

I think she will more likely be low than high and I just want her to be able to treat. She sometimes does not feel her lows until she is very low so that is why I want her tested. She will have about 15 minutes between numbers maybe longer . . .

I am just being a nervous mommy. O and btw - this is her first recital period. The last dance company she was with she was younger and they did not do the little ones on the big stage. I also have 2 other daughters in this recital and just feel like I have SOOOO much to remember just for Willow - let alone 56 costumes, make-up for 3 girls, gloves, shoes, socks, tights, and all the extras that go with it. Then finding something she will eat!!! My wonderfully picky eater.:rolleyes: I know I am probably making more of this than I need to . . .

Thanks

9. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

My dd tends to go higher with the excitement of the show. Will they have a dress rehersal? This is a good time to test things out.

10. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I always found Maddie's dress rehearsal numbers to be helpful in planning for the performance.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Trust me, most dance companies are pretty strict about who is allowed back stage. I'm lucky, ours is pretty flexible.

This is what I did:
    We received our packet which explained no parents backstage except for the stage parent, no exceptions. I innocently went to the office and asked to meet the stage moms. The office staff said, we don't have them yet, is there a problem? I replied that I wanted to meet them to go over proceedures for treating Abby as she has diabetes and as it is a long time away from me, they'll need to check on her. Look of shock and fear on their faces...ummm...we will absolutely allow you backstage to care for your child!

I know in this situation that Abby will be too nervous to properly test/treat herself, so for us, this is what works.
    The testing/texting is a good idea and clear juices and pretzels are good too. That's the snack suggested to us. Though, the girls costumes are so ugly that a stain would only improve the appearance!

We're lucky as we have a dry run about 2 weeks prior at a community event, so I'll have a good feel to how she'll react to being on stage.

12. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Umm... you may not be the stage mom but you are the T1 diabetes mom. Pehaps you can suggest being the "extra helper" backstage if that is what will make you and Willow comfortable and anxiety free.

IME when I carefully (and very nicely) explain to whomever the reasons that I need to be where my child is (in addition to whoever is the stage mom), they get it.

You seem to have thought through some reasonable possible scenarios and that is great!

So you want to be backstage? Do you feel you need to be backstage? Is she hypo unaware? Can she do all her care herself?

Again, I've always felt that it is acceptable for me to be where DD is when she needs me. ("And woe to those who try and stop me!" to borrow a quote from my favorite movie ;).

No one understands my dd's needs the way I do. Plus the stage mom is watching a lot of other kids. I would probably really try to explain why I needed backstage access.

BTW: I've not had to do this for dance-- Our dance studio owner is phenomenal, every year we do a Glucagon refresher course, and she is so thoughtul in planning recitals and dance camps -- but I have had to for other things.

All the best!

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  13. GabriellasMom

GabriellasMom Approved members

We disconnect Gabriella's pump about an hour and a half before she goes on stage. She tests her blood sugar then, 30 minutes later and then again about 15 minutes before she goes on stage. We expect her to run high and we do not correct highs. If her bg is less than 100 before she goes on stage she has 15 carbs and she immediately checks after she gets off stage. She keeps a cell phone with her back stage so we can stay in contact with her at all times.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

A mom after my own heart! :D

A gal's gotta do what a gal's gotta do.

15. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Hey, us CT girls have got to stick together!

I did explain after they gave me the ok that "trust me, it would be easier to have me backstage to focus on her while the stage moms can worry about the other 11 kids." They totally agreed when I presented it like that.

16. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

Great idea...!

My daughter is independent with her monitoring and pump adjustments, but none the less,
    I think that no school (including dance schools) should interfere with a child's medical needs.
    To permit any compromise to a child's health (such as forcing the parent to run the child's BG
    higher for a 5 hour period) is unethical, and could expose the school to significant liability if
    the child suffered a high-BG or low-BG event.

So, in addition to the recommendation above, I might ask for the school's insurance carrier
    information so that you can pass it to your lawyer in the event that she experiences a seizure
    or DKA during the 5-hour period.

My opinion on this is not purely as a bystander - I own two music schools with a combined
    student base of over a thousand children. Two children I am aware of (aside from my own)
    have T1D. We extend every possible accomodation during recitals and otherwise, and that
    started long before my daughter's dx. I am sure that dance is really special, of course, but
    still no excuse for getting inbetween a parent and their child's health, IMO.

17. mamamccoy87

mamamccoy87 Approved members

Grace will have her first recital since dx at the end of May - she will only have started her pump 2 weeks before too. I talked with the head dance instructor and they will let me be by her. The girls don't have to be back stage all the time, but I would think with the performance being that long that they would let you back there as you see fit, or do they want to take over (here's the meter, the insulin and my cell no - have fun!!:cwds: I would think the managers and the other parents would/should understand. Best wishes!!

18. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

Yeah, I would push really hard about this no backstage nonsense. Like a letter from your doctor saying she is too young to manage a first recital all on her own and medically requires access to a thoroughly trained adult...?

19. wvchinacat

After our meeting last night -I spoke with the stage moms. there are 19 in her class (huge!!:eek:) and there are 3 stage moms. One said she totally understood since she had Gestational D - :rolleyes:. I just smiled and explained that it is not unusual for her to drop from 250 to 56 in less than a 1/2 hour. She about dropped her jaw. And that today she was up to 439 (no ketones) and was as low as 65. So constant monitoring is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. I think once I made that point - they were more understanding.

I have written up a modified 504/health management thing. With my cell #. I do NOT actually want to be back stage for the whole thing - I have 2 other daughters in the recital as well. I just need them to understand that this is not like other meds that could wait to be administered.

I saw one of you mentioned having the glucagon back stage. We have never had to use - but I think I will take it and have it available. I do not want her unconnected for 5 hours - but I plan to decrease her basal for the full 5 hours. I agree I would prefer her to run high - but not too high and I worry about an adrenaline high if she starts out above 250. So I will target her for about 200 that night rather than 150 or 120.

Thanks for all the ideas and I know it will go fine - it's just something new and it is so frustrating that most people have NO idea what management means.

Oh and one of the teachers made her feel so bad about needing to have her pump concealed. Her tubing is usually hanging out and one of the teachers told her that that woudl NOT be possible and she would need to take it off. Later I learned that the teacher is 15yo :)eek:) one of the assistants and was told by me that taking it off was NOT her call. But the fact that she told Willow that just about threw me into a full on rage!:mad:

thanks for all your wise insights!

20. dragonfly

dragonfly Approved members

For the Nutcracker performance last year, I wasn't an official stage mom, but the director was more than willing to have me back there. (I ended up helping with a tooth that wiggled out too!)