- advertisement -

First post ever

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mape18, Mar 19, 2013.

1. mape18

mape18 Approved members

My son has been diabetic for over 10 years (dx at 14 months). He will be moving to the pump in April and the closer we get the more freaked out I become. Not sure how we are going to handle competitive swimming and lacrosse. Looking for reassurance.

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Hi and welcome. :cwds:

Which pump is he going to be using?

3. mape18

mape18 Approved members

He decided on the t:slim - he says it looked cool.

4. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

Welcome! There is an adjustment, but it's been a switch we're glad we made. I'd caution you that exercise with pumping can be very different than MDI. I think pump makes it easier, but initially, the way the insulins work is really different and we saw 50s within 20 minutes every time she exercised. Be prepared for a learning curve. Gary Scheiner's group is awesome at helping with learning pumping/exercise game plans, as well. (www.integrateddiabetes.com)

5. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

My son picked a pump for a reason that wasn't over whelming either. Just about any pump on the market works and if he thinks it is cool, he will be more likely to bolus.

It can be a period of adjustment, but the convenience factor is wonderful.

6. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Very cool :cool:

With a tubed pump and sports you face the decision of whether or not to disconnect. We don't for lacrosse but do for swimming ( you may have no choice to disconnect the t:slim for water sports, but it's so new that I don't actually know it's waterproof status).

Some kids need less insulin for sport and some need their regular basal so you will just have to experiment and see how his numbers run. My dd wears her pump in a spi-belt http://www.spibelt.com with the pump at the small of her back. I can't think of an instance when it got in the way.

One of the nice things about pumping and athletics is that you can set temporary basal rates to reduce basal going into sports. It's all just trial and error.:cwds:

7. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

I am not on a pump, so I can't offer any advice from that view point, but I can say that pumping is not for every T1D.
    If you find that your wanting to go back to injections, you can go back.

I hope everything goes well for you & your son.

8. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

In reality, the pump is just another tool for your son to become familiar with...to try to see if he likes it. The worst that can happen is that he won't be fond of it and go back to injections. However, the pump transformed our lives. My son was diagnosed in November 2011, started on injections and switched to the pump in May 2012. It really allowed us to realize that diabetes had not taken over our lives. It has also made control a bit easier while allowing my son to eat when he wants. A dear woman I met when my son was diagnosed had lots of advice for me. One of the first things she told me was "get on the pump as soon as you can." I did...and I'm so glad she gave me that advice.