- advertisement -

First Parents Weekend

Discussion in 'Parents of College Kids and Young Adults with Type' started by Margaret O, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Margaret O

Margaret O Approved members

I am so looking forward to our first parents weekend on the 20th of Oct. I want to hear about everything and meet some of our DS new friends. My guess is that it will be a bit hectic but we plan to get some down time and take him out for dinner.

I would like to check his meter. Not to "catch him" with too many highs or lows but just to see his trends. I am guessing this is a bad mom thing, and not really showing him that we trust him, but what if he is consistantly running high, or worse, not testing at all? He has been know to fudge numbers. But then what would I do if he isn't testing, or making up numbers when we touch base now.

Maybe we will just have to wait until Thanksgiving when he sees his endo.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Suggestion- ask, don't sneak. That way he can show you his numbers if he wants and you can have the opportunity to make useful suggestions or offer support. And if he doesn't want to show you numbers, he probably wouldn't want to take suggestions about diabetes either.

3. Tarheel84

Tarheel84 Approved members

I have to agree with LantusFiend...even if I have a slightly different reason. My son is home for fall break right now and his meter was on the counter...couldn't resist and took a peek. He uses the One touch Ultra and I am somewhat technically challanged and when I tried to review his numbers I somehow started changing some entries and couldn't get back to where I started. Luckily my son came in and made sure that I didn't mess things up toooooo badly!:D I agree...just easier to ask!!!

On a side note I was very impressed with his entries though...there were a few where he noted "alcohol" and I could see that he was testing more frequently at those times. He even suggested that we get him a medic alert necklace "just in case" (he just started Humalog this week...was just on a low dose of Lantus/diagnosed 6/07) He is still honeymooning so right now he has excellent control and his BG numbers have been very good.

He is also pledging a fraternity and he said he already made sure that his brothers know about the diabetes....i don't know when my son developed this maturity but I am so proud of him right now!! Just wish his attitude would rub off on me...I am still having difficulty accepting all this. Don't know if I ever will.:(

Linda
    Mom to Chris (21) diagnosed 6/07 Lantus and Humalog
    and Sarah (19) Non-D
    Both at Appalachian State University

4. OSUMom

OSUMom Approved members

Dean (who happens to be home for 24 hours :D) wants to take care of himself, wants to live a long life free of complications for himself, and still has high and low numbers - even daily. It's the nature of this D beast most days unfortunately. The A1Cs will give you a good feel for how well the management is going (well after you get away from the first one after diagnosis). I feel very strongly that our kids want to have great numbers even more than we want them to have those great numbers. Just kind of my thoughts on it at the moment. :cwds:

5. Margaret O

Margaret O Approved members

Linda,

I am impressed with your DS meter notations. He really does sound like he is taking real D responsibility (and enjoying his social life at the same time!) I agree that peeking is not be honest with our DS and, we really want him to be honest with us. Its just so tempting :eek: .

I think the controlling part of me went into overdrive when he was diagnosed and that wasn't necessarily a good thing. Pat has a very good outlook on life and will not let this beat him, so I should trust he is doing the best he can.

6. Tarheel84

Tarheel84 Approved members

Margaret,

I can so relate to the controlling issue. The 1st thing I did when my son was diagnosed was buy the Think Like a Pancreas, Using Insulin and several other basic diabetes books. I read through them all....learned about every possible consequence and bad things that "could" happen. I bought carb books and read the many diabetes message boards and basically overwhelmed my son with information that he wasn't ready for.

Our situation was a little different than most. We caught his diabetes VERY early. He was diagnosed in June...put on Lantus in August and just now started a little Humalog ( lunch and dinner only with I/C ratio of 1:20.) His average BS before starting the Humalog was 129.:) At his last endo appt on Thursday the Dr. even told me to relax... that Chris is doing great and there is plenty of time to learn all there is to learn and that I just need to let him take his time learning all this. I really needed to hear that.

The other thing that I learned in this appt is that at least for now my son has NO interest in the pump...I was totally surprised when he said that on Thursday. I have been researching all the options and honestly didn't even think to ask him if this was what he wanted to do....I just assumed. I learned that I realy need to back off and just give him my support and help when he asks for it and trust that he is mature and responsible enough to ASK when he needs help. Believe me this is NOT going to be easy!!

I have to keep telling myself that how he handles this disease might be different than how I would have handled it....not better or worse just different. Just like lots of other decisions he makes in his life he has to do what works best for him...Not me.

It's so hard letting go.....The Mom mentality doesn't turn off when they turn 21!!