- advertisement -

First low blood sugar episode today

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Frymom3, May 3, 2011.

1. Frymom3

Frymom3 Approved members

:confused:
    My newly diagnosed daughter usually runs blood sugars in the upper 200's. We are just 5 days out from our first insulin shot. This morning she woke up with a blood sugar of 79 shaky and pale but feeling fine other than that. Then this afternoon after school we went back to gymnastics and she came to me shaky and her blood sugar was 89. She had already had her less than 30 carb snack between lunch and supper at school, so before we left for gymnastics I gave her some sugar free jello and 2 slices of lunch meat.

What kinds of snacks are good before a sport like gymnastics? It's not competitive, but still moderately active.

Hope all this makes since?????

Thanks in advance for all the advice. I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!!!!

2. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

So sorry about your DD's diagnosis. Pre-activity snacks are definitely going to be trial and error for a while--you probably want to give her something with a few more carbs than the jello--that has only 1 or 2, IIR, and the lunchmeat probably only had a few grams of carb as well.

That said, you might start with a 15 - 20 g. snack that includes carbs and some fat and protein -- peanut butter crackers, cheese and crackers, banana or apple and peanut butter, handful of nuts, some yogurt, even a half sandwich -- and see how things go.

Good luck!

ETA: First low BG can be scary. One thing to keep in mind is to definitely retest in 15 minutes and get a sense of how much the fast acting carbs raise her BG in that time. We found that 15 g. of carb was way too much and gradually lowered the amount of fast acting carbs.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

First thought ... kids who have been running high, as your daughter was pre-dx and since, as you get her dose settled, will feellow at a higher number than is actually low. The brain gets accustomed to functioning in a hypoglycemic state so an 89 can feel terrible even though it's not technically a low. The goal is to get her acclimated to more normal numbers so that she feel good at 89 :cwds: And that will come with time.

As for snacks ... it's hard to know quite what to suggest without knowing what insulin you are using and how. It might be a good idea for you to add a "signature" to your profile which your child's age, date of dx and what insulin you are using. ;) Many people do give a small slow carb snack like a granola bar before sports ( we don't but that is a function of how my kid responds to exercise and the length of time since her dx) . I'm sure others will chime in.:cwds:

4. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Shaky is good. That means that she can recognize her lows. Not everyone can do that. If she can recognize how she feels and can confirm it with a BG test, that gives her an advantage. If you are out somewhere and for some reason do not have any supplies with you, you will be able to still treat a low by the way she feels. It's always better to be a bit too high then a bit too low.

5. L101418

L101418 Approved members

I have one daughter that is very fit and only needs a 1/2 peanutbutter sandwich, cheese/crackers or granola bar before exercise and one daughter that seems to go low if she even thinks about skipping. She sips Gatorade during play or exercise. It's trial and error and lots of testing.

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

It is an adjustment for the body to get used to the sugars being more in range.

You will probably find that her insulin needs to be adjusted as once the body gets some insulin, the pancreas actually starts kicking into gear a bit more.

I would have given more of a snack before exercise -- say another 20-30 grams of food.

My son drinks a 20 oz gatorade before he plays tennis.

7. wilf

wilf Approved members

I hope you're working closely with your medical team, telling them about the numbers, and getting their input on whether insulin dosages need to be adjusted downwards.

It is quite common for insulin needs to drop dramatically in the first weeks after diagnosis - you'll know her dosages need to be reduced if she's running low all the time. Night testing is recommended in these first weeks.

8. Lindy

Lindy Approved members

I do not have diabetes, my son does - however, there have been several times where I have felt a little shaky, kinda weak and have a sweat break out across my forehead - so I've checked my blood sugars with my son's equipment and it's always been in the high 70's to low 80's.....and I think WOW, if I feel this way at a 76 - what the heck does he feel like at a 40????????

Hang in there!!!

9. dejahthoris

dejahthoris Approved members

He checks his bg and eats a snack before sports - like a granola bar or pb crackers or cheese crackers or a clif bar. He checks bg after too. Exercise will lower the blood sugar of a type 1 diabetic, sometimes it can even lower during the night after the exercise so its good to give them something with fat and protein along with the carbs to help "hold" it.

10. dejahthoris

Yeah a few weeks after diagnosis they might need wayyy less insulin- its called the honey moon period and it usually lasts about 6 months but it can be longer (even 2 years!). Be sure to keep records of bg, carbs eaten and carb ratios. My sons carb ratio went from 1:10 at diagnosis to 1:80 and then back down to 1:12 from August 2010 to April 2011 pretty gradually. It gets ALOT easier and you will learn all the time, and so will she. This is do-able. It sounds like you guys are doing amazingly well considering what a short time it has been!

11. bnmom

bnmom Approved members

I don't know your daughter's target range. But for example, my son's is 80-120 and if he runs high (150+) overall for a few days, then he will feel low if he hits 80 or 90.

Obviously that's not a low really - but his body gets used to being in the higher range so it interprets the drop as a low.

After a couple days back in range, his body readjusts its perception and 80-90 is again normal, with him not feeling low unless he really is (like 70 or less)

So could be that is what your daughter is experiencing. But regardless, you are so new to all this I would definitely be lighting up the phone lines and letting your endo and CDE guide you for the time being.

On the activity, it really is trial and error - every sport is different and every child reacts differently. Gatorade sipping as you go works for us (regular gatorade, not G2)

12. Lee

Lee Approved members

This is exactly what I was thinking! We used to have to give 15 grams prior to gymnastic.

13. Frymom3

Frymom3 Approved members

Thanks guys!!
    I think I put info on my signature to show her insulin, but not sure if I did it right ( my husband is the computer person, not me) haha.
    Anyway... right now she is on Novalog 1 unit for every 30 carbs and Lantus 10 units at bedtime.
    She is supposed to have less than 30 carbs for snacks but usually she gets hungry again before meals so they suggested we do no carb snacks for then.
    We are supposed to call in her stats on Friday. Friday can't get here soon enough. :cwds:

14. Lee

Lee Approved members

The best piece of advice I can offer is that your Endo works for you, not the other away around. You can call them and ask for advice today, you are allowed, you are going to be paying their mortgage...

Empowerment is a good thing when your kid has D...

15. JeremysDad

JeremysDad Approved members

Actually your Endo/CDE expects you to keep them well-informed...at least for the first few weeks or longer. Your daughter's insulin needs will be changing and they need to know constantly how she is doing so they can make the necessary changes. It all goes on your daughters medical record which might be needed in the future if your insurance company needs justification for an insulin pump.

16. Jakethesnakesmom

Jakethesnakesmom Approved members

Hi, before sports practices/games, I like to give my son some carbs mixed in with protein (crackers/peanut butter or fruit/cheese) - the protein makes it stick with him longer. You should always remember to have some type of fast acting sugar with you during your daughters gymnastics (juice, sugar tablets, skittles....) just in case she feels a low coming on.

Stephanie, mom of Jacob age 9
    Dx since 2005, pumping with MM Revel

17. dejahthoris

What the others said---Hey if you have questions call them anytime day or night. I know I did at first. They were grumpy sometimes but tough toenails. I needed to know. I never call them anymore but I will if I have questions, I dont care what time of night!

18. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Exactly! Especially being so new to this, the Endo expects to hear from you often the first few weeks.

When I was diagnosed, my Endo at the time (on the Ped side of our clinic, as I was 17 at diagnoses) gave me his personal cell phone. He told me to call him anytime I had questions or concerns. I had to call him daily the first two weeks and give him my BG numbers and insulin totals. He would help me adjust accordingly (he started me off on a sliding scale, and then slowly introduced carb counting over the next two weeks).

I remember I had my first 'real' low a few days after diagnoses, it was 10:30 at night. I believe I was 45 or something in that area. Obviously, I treated but we weren't sure what else to do being it was late. I called my Endo...looking back, it feels silly now that I called, but the whole Diabetes thing was still very new, and scary. He answered, and was totally OK with it. He even told me he wanted to know.

In regards to the protein, it is a great trick, and it does help. It is also something I use to do right after diagnoses if lower at night. My Endo recommended a glass of skim milk, with peanut butter, to hold me steady overnight. Fat and protein while annoying at times in regards to insulin dosing, can be quite helpful on the other hand!

19. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Just a side thought: Do you mean less than 30 carbs for snack with no insulin? That seems like quite a bit and may account for her bg's being in the 200's so often. One thing that you may want to figure out in the coming weeks (months) is how much 1 carb raises her bg.

For example, with Danielle 1 carb will usually raise her about 5 points. So a few carbs of something uncovered (no insulin) is OK anything more than that and I want her to cover it with insulin. If I gave her 30 carbs uncovered it would raise her about 150 points.

Just something to think about. :cwds:

(As always, remember each child responds to diabetes differently, depending on a multitude of factors (age, time since dx, etc.)

Last edited: May 4, 2011