- advertisement -

First Impressions of Dexcom G4

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by sneakermom, Nov 3, 2012.

1. sneakermom

sneakermom Approved members

We have been anxiously awaiting the approval of G4 for ages. We received our pink "Dexi" on 10/30 and immediately charged it and inserted a sensor that evening. We had zero luck with the 7+ in the accuracy department. We were just never able to trust the numbers as they would drift frequently and lead to ???.

So, initial thoughts now that we have has DD on G4 for 4 days? So far, we've seen some improvement with accuracy and less drifting. Day 1 and part of day 2 were less accurate, but I think the sensor was still settling in. It still strays at times. Also, we have already seen our first set of ???. It caught a low (within 6 points from bG meter reading) and now has been in ??? for 90 minutes. Trying to be patient through this.

Here's what we like so far:
    1. The range is amazing! It picks her up on the second story of our house from the first floor. We've easily gotten more than 20 feet out of this.
    2. It does capture many more readings with fewer gaps in data than the Seven+
    3. The receiver is small, sleek and easier for our little ones to carry. Looks just like an iPod Nano.
    4. Color choice. This may not seem like a big deal, but when faced with trying another device, the color option can make it much more appealing to our little ones.
    5. The alarms seem louder to me.

What we dislike so far:
    1. Still struggling a little bit with accuracy. I'm hoping this will improve as I get better at working with the device again.
    2. Still no alarm for ???
    3. Still no predictive alarms like Navigator had
    4. Already have experienced ??? on day 4 of our first sensor

Overall, there are some nice improvements. We still have quite a way to go before these devices incorporate all of the features that would make it feasible to replace finger sticks, but I think we're headed in the right direction.

2. sneakermom

As an update, the ??? went away in just under 2 hours. Accuracy seems really good at the moment! Hope I don't jinx us.

3. selketine

selketine Approved members

Where is she wearing it? The reviews I've seen the people wearing it weren't getting many ??? - less than they had. I hope that is true.

William's had the 7+ for just over a year now and we've had pretty good luck with avoiding the ??? but I've gotten more lately. Not sure if the transmitter is dying or what. The doctor just put in a referral for the G4 yesterday so I hope to move to it soon.

4. sneakermom

She's wearing it on the back of her arm. We've never had much success on tummy because there's just not enough fat there on her. Glad to report that once it came back online, it was accurate and actually caught a low before we did.

5. sneakermom

And...we're back to question marks??? Any ideas?

6. buggle

buggle Approved members

Brendan's had the G4 on for four days now. No ??? yet. The accuracy has been fairly good. It's been within a point on a few calibrations and off as much as 30 points the first two days. It is seeming to be right on after it settled in. The one thing I can't believe they didn't change is an alarm for ??? - also can't believe that the FDA didn't require it.

The range is incredible - on par with the Navigator. My husband had the receiver outside a gymnasium and could pick Brendan up while he was inside. It's picking up everywhere in our house. The alarms are loud. We have the fancier ones chosen and it's woken me up during the night.

I think it's a huge improvement over the 7+, which was really pretty crappy over the last few months. Dexcom tech support checked the transmitter battery and it was still fine, so no idea why it's tended to run away so much and be off by huge margins at times - maybe a combination of substandard sensors and flaws in the algorithms. I was getting really frustrated with the 7+.

On the 7+, we'd keep calibrating with ???. Sometimes, it'd come back even after 7-8 hours. Other times, it'd never come back, even after restarting. So, no idea what we should do when it ??? and how long to give it until calling it quits with that particular sensor. It's disappointing that it's happening on your first G4 sensor. Hope it comes back.

7. sneakermom

Hi, Rella
    The manual says that if in ??? for more than 3 hours to call tech support. "Dexi" has 53 minutes to get her act together before I call! Earlier today she came back online at about this time.

I used to just end the sensor session when we got prolonged questions marks and then try to restart the same sensor. Sometimes it worked and sometimes not. Tech support doesn't like it when we do our own fixes before calling them though. I'd hate to not have a bad sensor replaced because I tinkered with things.

I think we will follow the manual on our next go-around and actually attempt an abdomen site. Wish me luck!

8. sneakermom

Here's the latest on our Day 4 sensor. After surviving the first 2-hour window of question marks, we received about an hours worth of more readings and then it went back into ??? mode. We waited 3 hours and nothing came back. Called tech support and they obviously didn't even want to deal with it, because they told me to yank it and start a new one. They are shipping a replacement sensor. I'm feeling a wee bit frustrated at the moment, but I'll hang in there and update as needed.

9. karri

karri Approved members

So our experiences with G4. Seen ??? quite few times, even during the first calibration. I usually just restart the sensor, after which it seems to work ok.

10. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

On our first sensor here, so far so good, excellent actually. No ?? yet, knock wood. It seems MUCH more accurate and the range is impressive. I held onto the receiver during his football game the other day and there were times it gave me the "out of range" signal but for the most part I got readings the entire game (it's a fairly small field and I stand near the fence, not up in the stands).

Night times have been awesome, I forgot how much I love that thing for overnights!

Very impressed so far. Alarms are louder and more variable, range is an improvement and it seems more accurate at this point.

11. Dan

Dan Approved members

We got our G4 on the 1st. So far no ??? and numbers have been very accurate. We were having terrible luck with sensors from our 7+.

12. sneakermom

Good news! The second sensor has been way more accurate. We haven't had one number (even in the first day) that wasn't accurate. I'm hoping that first sensor was either a fluke or operator error (poor insertion). So, I'm happy to report that things are going great at about 36 hours in. Woohoo!

13. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

Keeping fingers crossed for you guys! We are so impressed that I was saddened to hear that everyone was not having as good luck. I guess there will always be wonky sensors though. We are on day 10 and never have seen ??? once. Although we didn't see them often with the old system either. No gaps in data either, and last night I found out that I can keep it in my room and she stays connected. That is huge, because lots of times before she would become disconnected just by moving over too far in her full sized bed!

14. selketine

selketine Approved members

I've sometimes had weird 7+ sensors - few and far between fortunately but the next sensor always worked fine. I hope that was just a wonky sensor!

15. sneakermom

Okay, I must admit. I am impressed. Being a former Navigator user, I never thought Seven Plus was worth a hoot. I was rather skeptical about G4, but it has proven me wrong. We are loving it and finding it to be very accurate. And for those who are wondering...this second site is on her abdomen! Never thought I'd see the day!

16. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

Very encouraging, thank you for posting. We're thinking of switching from Medtronic Guardian. 2 1/2 years ago, when we trialed both Guardian and 7+, the ??? and range scared us away. This sounds so much better!

17. Olivia'sDad

Olivia'sDad Approved members

So for the parents off G4 users, are you trusting enough of the alarms to sleep through the night? Or are you just waking up, checking the monitor on your nightstand and then going back to bed?

18. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

If it has been calibrated and running good, then I only wake up if it goes off.

19. Dan

Dan Approved members

Same for me

20. Rachel's Dad

Rachel's Dad Approved members

The Dexcom G4 is a big upgrade from the Seven Plus. We have used the original Seven, Navigator and Seven Plus...the G4 is the best of all. Great range, accurate, more discreet, and NO ??? in 4 weeks . We also love the alarm options and the volume. Definitely worth the upgrade cost!!