- advertisement -

First illness since diagnosis

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lynnieg123, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

We've been lucky that our daughter hasn't been really sick since diagnoses but she has a major cold now witha fever and her numbers are fine then 300+ then fine. Crazy! First time she's had moderate keytones. Yikes. Just needed to share with people that understood!

2. Charliesmom

Charliesmom Approved members

I hope she feels better soon!

3. caspi

caspi Approved members

Is she eating? The ketones could be starvation ketones if she is not able to eat because she doesn't feel well. In these instances I have my son sip regular soda so that we can keep the insulin going in, to avoid ketones. ETA: I just noticed her age. If soda isn't appropriate, anything with carbs will do. :)

The first illness is always the worst! I hope she starts to feel better soon. :cwds:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Do you have sick day instructions from your endo? I would try giving her ginger ale. I hope she feels better.

5. Lynnieg123

Lynnieg123 Approved members

It was a loooong weekend full of large ketones, vomitting from gatorade, constant BG and urine checks, VERY grump child, no sleep for Mommy and Daddy. Do most people wake up their kids to do a urine check in the middle of the night?

6. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

I do; the alternative is too bad. But the last time, she went to the bathroom half asleep and forgot to test!:eek: I'm considering asking for a prescription for the blood ketone strips. Does anyone know how long they last before expiring? I don't have a problem with the urine strips during the day, but nighttimes are tough.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Ask your doctor for an RX for the blood ketone strips. They are much more accurate - the urine test can be a couple of hours behind.

Hope she is feeling better!! :cwds:

8. caspi

caspi Approved members

I have heard that you can turn back the time on the meter in order to use expired strips. Most of the strips that we are getting right now expire in 2013. I always check the box when I pick them up from the pharmacy to make sure the date is far enough out.

9. Ndiggs

Ndiggs Approved members

Most boxes we have are 12-18 months out. We have a precision extra meter and Abbott has been good about sending us replacements for expired strips