- advertisement -

First Family Vacation Since Dx'd

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by BRANDYB, Jul 8, 2007.

1. BRANDYB

BRANDYB Approved members

This will be our first vacation since Haley was dx'd in January. We live in Ga and are going to Fla. I figure we will be in the car around 6 hours. What are some suggestions some of you pros have that would help me this year? I will pack a cooler with drinks and snacks. What else? She has been running high for the past month so I really don't worry about lows right now. When she is active for a few minutes she tends to go low but I figure the car ride will be okay. Any tips will help me alot!:D:D

2. Jacob's Mommy

Jacob's Mommy Approved members

We just got back from a 6 hr trip to some land we have out in West Texas. Jacob is pumping, but we still stopped every so often and let him get out and stretch his legs. I always keep a cooler (little) in our truck with snacks, water and cheese (for thoses times he is hungry and it is not time to eat snack.) Normally he watches his movies and listens to his music, so he is pretty content (most of the time). I did hear over and over "are we almost there"!

Of course I never leave home without enough D supplies to last a month (my husband says I go overboard!). Since she is running high, don't forget to pack plenty of ketone sticks. I pack all his D. supplies in a backpack so if we stop at restaurants, I can just grab the backback and not leave it in the hot car. I also pack an extra meter (because on our trip to the beach last year, ours got sand in it and it would give some off the wall numbers and error messages).

Try and relax. I was so scared to take our first trip last month to the beach (7 hours of driving), I thought I would never relax, but for the first time I did. Just have fun and take lots of pictures of her first D. vacation!!

Have a great time. :)

3. Juliefx

Juliefx Approved members

Over the years, we have done a lot of 6 hour car trips. I have usually found that my daughter needed a lot of extra insulin during these rides. It became easier when she started pumping, but I do remember plenty of highs and trying to get her numbers down while traveling.

4. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

Pur family just got back from a 10 day trip to Destin FlA... our first too since dxd with D.. We had a 12 hour drive :eek: from Texas but it was worth it!

We gave extra boluses for high numbers while just sitting ion the car and that seemed to work ok... We also had to drop Humalog doses waaaay down because of the swimming and heat - she actually went very low every day no matter what.

If your D is on pump I would firgure on adding some corrections for highs and extra shots if she is MDI (we are and use the port which works wonderfully!) and we also adjusted her Lantus at night after 3 days of highs and then upped it again when we drove back - A lot of work but she loved every minute of it!

Have a great trip :eek:

Melissa C
    Avery dxd 2/20/07 - age 5

5. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

We went on a road trip last summer for 2 weeks. Seth has a "Blue bag" that has everything he needs in it, it's about the size of a lunch pail. But, I also had an Igloo cooler, with extra supplies in it in case of emergency...I put several medical red crosses on it along with Type 1 diabetes supplies in permanent marker. That way, if something happened, it wouldn't (hopefully) be missed. Also, it wasn't opened, so the insulin stayed cold. Have lots of fun on your trip:D

6. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

We had a family vacation 2 years ago, not even 1 week after Dx. It was planned for months. She was actually still admitted to the hospital when we left. It was horrible! We actually ended up in the hospital in another province so technically, Emma was almost admitted to 2 different hospitals in 2 different provinces at the same time!! Haven't had a family vacation since.

Suggestions: Bring extras of everything.... Don't forget Tylenol (That's what we forgot that landed us at the second hospital). Being that you're already in a routine, it will go smoother than ours. Just stick to the routine and everything should go well. I'd actually ease up on the ratios because children tend to be more active on vacation.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  7. Mary Lou

Mary Lou Approved members

We travel a lot

And have found that our kids need 150% temp basal increase when sitting still, especially in the car. Sometimes even more. Seems like inactivity is just as crazy on the BG as exercise.

Make sure you have a cooler or frio insulin pouch you can carry into restaurants so you don't leave medical supplies swealtering in a hot car.

Vacationing is crazy. We just went camping and had to do an emergency set change in a tent in the middle of the night in the middle of a thunderstorm with a dog whose afraid of loud noises. Nuts, but worth the effort, every time.:D