- advertisement -

First dexcom insertion

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by CassiesMama, Nov 30, 2011.

1. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

So Cassie's dex came today and we got it all charged up and I followed the directions for inserting it in. Well after I removed the injector part I noticed a bit of blood by the injection site. Will this affect the sensor? Is there anything I need to know to watch for. Its in its 2 hour warm up right now so I dont know what its doing yet .

2. Catiesmom

Catiesmom Approved members

Was it alot of blood or just a drop or two? I've seen a drop or two and some dried blood after I took one off. If there is no redness, bleeding or pain I'd stick with it and see how it goes.

Keep in mind the first 24 hours will have wonky numbers. Keep it close to her at night, I thought the night stand would be close enough but it had to be right next to her. The first night I got a 65 and down arrow and a 345 and up arrow when blood tests showed 130's and steady all night. The more I calibrated and the closer I kept it to her, the better it got.

Now I look at it alot at night and it's fairly spot on. Hope everything goes well for you.

Catie, 11 and growing fast
    dx 6/19/09, Animas Ping since 9/28/10, Dexcom since 10/14/11

3. serge28

serge28 Approved members

I am really sorry to change the subject, but how did you make your child wear it?
    We have received dexcom 2 weeks ago and our son does not want to wear it.
    He said either pump or dexcom.
    Is there any magic words?

Thank you

4. CassiesMama

CassiesMama Approved members

There were no magic words, my daughter was just sick of going low and feeling like crap when she was high. She asked about it, was she scared to have me put it on her yes, did it hurt yea, but we are planing on using emla next time so it dont hurt and she has been tickled pink being able to see her bg moving up and down. She has been telling me her bg from it every time it updates lol. My best thing would be to just show him what it can do heck maybe you can wear one for a week so he can see its not that bad.

5. serge28

serge28 Approved members

I did wear it for couple days and he was curious to see the numbers etc, but it did not convince him. His unpredictable lows scary me a lot (we had several low 30s) , as well as stubborn highs. Maybe he needs more time to think about it.
    I have used numbing cream to insert and did not feel anything and almost did not notice it during those days (obviously my size a lot bigger ).

Thanks

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

If you wear this I'll take you to the toy store and buy you ....:p

Your child is 6 and hers is 11. I'm not sure a 6 year old is going to look at the same way as an 11 year old.

"Incentives" have worked well for us at times. A toy, a trip to Chuck E Cheese, etc.

As for the blood on insertion - that is one thing we haven't gotten so far with the Dex. It was routine with the Nav and it always bled a drop or two.

I hope the sensor is working out well.

7. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

My kids are adults, but most people here would not make wearing a CGM a choice for a 6 year old. In my opinion it is no different than medication that is needed for an illness. Lows in the 30's are dangerous, and especially if he doesn't feel them coming. I have had to use bribery with my daughter at times, because she is very much like a 6 year old in many ways. In the end, she doesn't get a lot of choices with her diabetes management. I do what I know is best for her, and she understands that, even if she doesn't particularly like my choices. I simply could not live with myself if something happened to her and I had not done everything in my power to keep her healthy.

8. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

My 11 year old was very against wearing one so I put off getting one for the longest time. But finally I made a deal with him. We would get it and he would wear it 24/7 for 1 month. If after that month he really, really, really hated it then he would only wear it when I was struggling to adjust his settings. He agreed to that and we got the CGM. After the first insertion he looked at me and said - "that didn't hurt at all! I would rather have that put in then an insertion site!" Well, our month is up and I asked him how he felt about wearing the CGM. He was like - whatever, it doesn't bother me. I kind of figured this would happen so I'm happy my parent psychology worked. :D

As for the blood - over the last month we had one that had a little drop of blood and it still seemed to work.

9. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

I have given up trying to bribe my daughter to use one - for now. Last time she used one was in August. Now we've wasted several sensors as they are expired.
    I usually inserted while she was sleeping. Then she'd get mad at me next day when she'd discover the sensor. But she kept it on.