- advertisement -

First day tomorrow!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by britbabi84, Jan 5, 2012.

1. britbabi84

britbabi84 Approved members

We are putting the novolog in the pump tomorrow! I am happy and terrified at the same time!! How often do you suggest checking these first weeks? I know his numbers can be all over the place with it. We dont check at night right now unless he's sick or had weird numbers throughout the day. I guess I better get use to getting up a couple of times a night!! (I have a 3 month old though so im use to sleepless nights). Any tips for my first few days/weeks?

2. JaxDad

JaxDad Approved members

Assuming you were bolusing with Novolog before pumping you will use the existing bolus ratios and someone should be helping you set some basals.

At the beginning you need to keep a close eye because the basal rates may be off by quite a bit.

When we started pumping we had an Animas rep that helped us set it up and then we sent log sheets and made some adjustments every day for a couple weeks.

3. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

I'll start by saying that 4-6 months after pump start I LOVED pumping. Many times before that I was ready to throw it out the window and run over it with my car.:eek:;)
    Expect it to be rough for awhile, especially with a little one. Definitely more overnight checks....I'd probably do every couple hours at least the first night or two, and any other time you make major night time basal changes.
    I don't say this to scare you, but I want you to realize going in that the transition can be rough...or it may not.:cwds: We'll pray for the not.
    You have a definite advantage on me. I hadn't found this site yet when we started pumping.

4. adjomomma

adjomomma Approved members

You could also consider a continuous glucose monitor. It is not necessarily real time, but you can learn trends without waking any one up....unless they are low. My son is 2 and we are awaiting our CGM. We are going to use it for a little while before we start his pump (he tends to wake up a little low so we want to learn his patterns.)

5. britbabi84

Im sure we will consider a CGM when he is a little bigger, but having 2 things attached to hi body just seemed a little too much for him to handle right now. We really needed to get him on the pump because his does are fairly small that we were having a hard time doing accurate doses with MDI.

6. L101418

L101418 Approved members

How exciting! Good luck. We had pretty uneventful pump starts (thankfully). Had some frustration finding good spots on my lean daughter for infusion sets - kept getting failed delivery alarms. Just be patient. It's kinda like starting over. That first time eating with no shot is awesome!

7. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

When we first started pumping I believe our Endo office had us checking every 2 hours during the day and every night at midnight and 3am.

8. britbabi84

Yeh, because he goes to bed around 730, then want us checking around 11 and then again between 2-3. When we have checked him at night before he just slept through it, so Im not too worried about it.

9. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

I remember feeling very excited and scared. You are about to experience a whole new learning curve but it's a great feeling when you master it. It's a little unnerving for a while but you'll figure it out. Pumping Insulin book is great! Congratulations!

10. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

When we transitioned to the pump, I checked frequently the first couple nights. Although our CDE had the basal set a little higher be on the safe side.

Anyway, I think you'll love pumping. It's given my son so much freedom and I love the ability to give such small corrections.

Good luck!