- advertisement -

First day on minimed

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cgbphp, Oct 10, 2011.

1. cgbphp

cgbphp Approved members

So my son Hayden started his insulin pump today. Minimed running with Novolog. He ws just diagnosed in June so all of this is quite new. I was wondering if anyone had any advice with starting a 2 year old on a pump. Any advice welcome.

2. Mom2Will

Mom2Will Approved members

Congratulations. My only advice would be check frequently in the beginning to get the basal right.

3. cdninct

cdninct Approved members

Kieran was a few days past his third birthday when he started pumping. We definitely had to check in with the clinic every day for a while until levels were right, and it did take a while. Don't get discouraged if it seems like things aren't going smoothly at first. We were a month in before we stopped thinking that we had probably made a big mistake! If you have specific questions or concerns, please post or send a message!

4. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

Congrats on starting the pump:):cwds::)

5. MamaTuTu

MamaTuTu Approved members

My DD started pumping just one week before her second birthday! The only advise I have is keep a good record of food, insulin, times just the general that Im sure you have already heard. Best of luck! It has been such a great tool for us the past 6 weeks! Im so thankful for insulin pumps :D

6. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

It takes some getting used to, but we love pumping. If you have unexplained highs, check for air bubbles in the reservoir and line.