- advertisement -

First day of school and cupcakes already-WHOO HOOO!!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Becky Stevens mom, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Can you see my sarcasm up there?:rolleyes:;) But seriously, yesterday was first day of school for Steven and a gal in his class brought in cupcakes as her birthday was the week before. I went in the morning to listen to the principal's "welcome back" spiel and the teacher came looking for me and told me that there would be cupcakes for snack, soooo I went with him to the nurse and stupidly, bolused for a regular size, homemade cupcake. Luckily I went back to his class with him where the girl was handing out mini cupcakes:rolleyes: sooooo, had to give him part of his regular snack that he had brought with him.

It all worked out fine but I do have it on Steven's healthcare plan that it is important that we know when treats will be brought in and carb counts too if available so we can figure out insulin dose. I just thought it amusing that it already happened the first day of school with so much going on and really hope that there wont be any more birthdays for awhile;)

2. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

Poor Becky. We have a saying in our 'regional' French..... L? ?a start! I think you might understand it. :)

3. Emma'sDad

Emma'sDad Approved members

I guess you won't understand it, cuz it won't display the accents!!!!! WTH!? lol

4. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Oy! Don't even get me started on our PTA's "hot lunch" and "pizza Friday" program (except it's too late, I just got started). Hot lunch includes such nutritious choices as "mac & cheese and a potato cake" or a corn dog, chips, and cookie. Definitely making the McD chicken nugget and apple dippers look like "health food" in comparison. :eek:

This from a school where the teachers send a note home specifying that morning snack should be healthful and not full of sugar (as in fruit, dried fruit, cheese, crackers).

I can't wait until the Halloween party.

5. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

yikes cupcakes already! Your post totally reminded me that i needed to call the school and talk to the woman who is in charge of the cafeteria. Ashleigh wants to eat in the cafeteria on Friday, and i need to find out the carb amounts.

6. Traci

Traci Approved members

Cupcakes already? Wow.

Last year we had a very special princess whose mom brought in cupcakes that were the size of my head. Seriously. They were HUGE! They were small cakes, not cupcakes, and the mom handed them out. No child in the class ate even a fraction of theirs! What are some of these people thinking?

Now our intermediate school has a new rule: you may bring cupcakes, but you have to bring enough for everyone in your class group--not just your individual class, but all the classes in your group--which is usually three, but sometimes four classes! Having to bring in 90 or 120 cupcakes should limit the number of cupcake boluses we'll have to deal with! Lol

7. tsoccer5

tsoccer5 Approved members

Yup, already had 2 "summer" birthday "make ups" one real birthday and the teachers b-day is tomorrow!!! we have had 7 days of school! UGH!

I am actually making a gluten free cookie cake for tomorrow so the slices will only be 15 carbs and I will use whipped cream for topping!

UGH! and the teacher wants to know what kind of candy she can have for 'rewards', um I sent in erasers and silly bands for that! UGH

8. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

Hunter's 1st grade teacher, my non D kid but my younger kid, requested fruit kabobs or healthy stuff instead of sweets for birthday treats as there are 32 kids in the class and that is too many sweets.

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I know your boys are older, but thought I'd share what Ian's teacher used to do. For every kid whose birthday fell on, say, September, they would all bake a cake at school on the last Friday of that month. No need to bring in cakes or whatever.

10. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Yes, I had this in dd's DMMP for SIX years (K -5) and about 50 percent of the time I got advanced notification. (ditto on changes of schedule that impact lunch ansd gym.) It was in the legal plan and really didn't work that well :(.

Here's what I used to do. At the 504 meeting I asked the classroom teacher for a B'day list. Usually I received it. Sometimes the teachers would panic about privacy issues and then --in the next breath--invite me to the classroom to copy down the names and corresponding birthdates from the cartoon "Cupckaes" adorining the classroom wall. (not sure how that wasn't a privacy issue!)

So, through 4th grade I would spend 20 minutes writing out my own B'day treat list. "Aiden Sept. 6, Darcy Sept. 7, Kayla Oct. 9, etc." The trick is refering to the cupcake list (or teacher provided list) each month and then calling the parents, or, simply being prepped for an estimation call from school.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

All I have to say is thank goodness we have a wellness plan at our school. No b'day treats because there are just too many kids with varying medical conditions that caused them not to be able to participate. Now, the b'day kids get to stand on stage and everyone in the cafe sings happy b'day and they get a popsicle (not the greatest, but better oooeey gooey cupcakes).

12. twolittleladybugs

twolittleladybugs Approved members

We just found out Emily's class will have cupcakes on Friday. I'm just considering ourselves lucky that we got a phone call and enough notice to make her an allergen-free substitute. They were horrified at our 504 meeting when I told them her 1st grade teacher sent a note home saying any birthday treats would be refused and please bring a book for the class instead ;) I don't think we'll get very far with a wellness plan when the principal invites each student twice a year (2 at a time) to have ice cream with her as a special treat. I did the math, and with about 530 students she must really like ice cream! We'll just hope that the food allergy letter the nurse sent out encouraging non-food treats will help. At least Emily's teacher says she doesn't do food/candy rewards...other than the Pizza Hut Book It program which isn't much of an incentive when you're allergic to milk and wheat. Good thing she likes to read for fun, which is how it should be anyway!

Kelly

Emily 8--dx @ 2 1/2, mult. food allergies
    Kaitlyn 4