- advertisement -

First day of kindergarten jitters

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cm4kelly, Aug 20, 2012.

1. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Okay - I think everything is done. Schedules, snacks, lunches, carb counts, machine, strips, glucagon, glucose tabs, keotostix, juice, posters of high and low symptoms -

Now hopefully I can survive the first day. (I am sure my son will be fine!)

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Good luck! The first few weeks of the school year are the most stressful, even more so when it's kindy ;)

BUT I cannot begin to express how wonderful it is when things are settled and you know that your child is safe and having fun and you can take a step back and breathe. :cwds:

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Ditto to what Sarah said. I was a wreck the first day of kindergarten, but it turned out just fine. There will be some bumps, but the first day is the worst. :)

4. mrcool

mrcool Approved members

Good luck, all will go well! We're facing the first day of pre-school in couple of weeks, I'm really nervous, so I can totally relate! :)

5. DadTheImpaler

DadTheImpaler Approved members

What I found funny about school was how they wanted my wife to arrange for a nurse to come in to educate the affected staff, rather than my wife do the training herself. She consulted a nurse, as requested, who said, "But you'll have to train me on how to train them!"
    Mom knows best - good luck!

You didn't mention it, but I'm assuming there's a daily journal that will go home, where they'll record his levels and how they dealt with them?

6. Meredithsmom

Meredithsmom Approved members

on Meredith's first day of Kindergarten, I couldn't breathe. My mom brought coffee and chocolate to me at work. When the teacher called after lunch to tell me she bolused too much and what should she do, I was actually relieved!:) Carb her up and let her go!!

You'll survive.

7. Tyggirl

Tyggirl Approved members

I'm sure you'll both survive! This will be me next week when my daughter starts K. Eek!

8. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Yes, those first few weeks were nail bitting experiences for me, more out of my own stress as the nurses at our school were spectacular. Now it is a much more relaxed approach for us, mainly because we know the ropes and know what to expect.

Best of luck, she'll do great!

9. vanessa22

vanessa22 Approved members

I'm in the same boat and I'm a nervous wreck! Deep breaths, right?

10. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Trust the plan

Me to and my wife teaches kindergarten In the room next door.
    What we tell ourself

Know the schedule and plan around it as much as we can.
    Trust the plan
    Pack lunch with carbs counted
    Have 5 g treatment ready
    Instructions are made for a sub
    Do our best to not be helicopter parents

11. Knittingfor4

Knittingfor4 Approved members

I am a wreck too! I have a box put together myself. Where did you get posters of highs and lows? I think I saw them somewhere, but now can't think where :eek:

12. lcblk27

lcblk27 Approved members

Yes, same here and Im so nervous!! I had a meeting with the nurse and she seems to have a good idea whats going on, but time will tell, I guess. Its so hard to anticipate his needs when he's never been in all day every day school.

Trying not to freak out but ya know, I just might anyways, lol.

13. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

I have the same jitters here too and DS went part time last year so the school had about 4 months of checking sugars under their belts but this year is a new teacher, new aids, ect.
    Just be sure to be available or your spouse available to be contacted during the day. Our school secretary does the BG checks during the day and if she has any questions what so ever she has figured out how to send me an instant message from her apple computer to my iphone! It is great and save us both alot of time. If it is something that can't be done via IM she will call me.
    Take one day at time and remember that each day will be different based on the schools activities for that day. We are finding out now that the 1st few days of school excitment are wearing off that DS is now running towards the low end as it gets closer to lunch and on the days that there is alot of excitement at school he runs a little higher.