- advertisement -

First D camp wierdness.

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by mmgirls, Aug 6, 2013.

1. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

we dropped our dd off at D camp on Sunday. And well it feels so very wierd, it feels like I am constantly forgeting something?

I am still waking up at 3-4am on my own and it feels weird to not check in on her, thinking to do a fingure poke before she gets up so she starts out the day on a great number.

This is a no contact camp, but I did get a little report from the school nurse who was at the camp for the first night and first day without parents. She said she was particpating and beaming!

I tried to convince her to get a bottom bunk, cause she could make a fort, but no she picked a top one, (an i swear it is higher than a normal bunk bed)

It was so wierd and I was notsure what I should say or do, afraid of being too "Motherly" with all the reminders but also afraid of forgetting to tell her something important. (Like reminding her to calibrate her CGM, forgot that, and not many CGMing in her age group)

It was nice to have an extra beer (or 2) knowing that I had the night off!

I am excited for her return and wondering what she will have liked the best, and what she will have learned in regards to Diabetes care? She was not nearly the smallest of the girls in the cabin which I think is good, I was worried about her being the smallest/youngest camper at 8yrs.

2. Lightly Salted

Lightly Salted Approved members

Oh, I so understand. My 9 year old is at D camp, his first time to spend the night away from us (since toddlerhood, which he doesn't remember). I'm waking at night, too, without the alarms. We also have no contact but I did see him in one of their online photo albums today, and he looked happy! Can't wait to hear all about it. I hope your DD has a great time, and that you can rest on your break.

3. minniem

minniem Approved members

My DS went to diabetes camp this summer for the 1st time and there was no camp contact either. I woke up the first 2-3 nights (it was 5 nights) and kept feeling like I was supposed to be up to check him. I missed him so much, but it did get easier as the week went on. This was my first time away from him, ever. He said he only got homesick about 2 days in, but then felt better.

At the end of the week, I was so nervous to see how he liked it. Well, he LOVED it and wants to go back next year. I was so glad we chose to send him this year. He said for the first time he felt like a "normal" kid, not a kid with D. That made it all worth it for us!

Oh, and by the way, I sent him with the CGM too and instructions that he was to charge it when the batteries went below half. Well, he didn't and it still made it the full 6 days...granted it was way down when he got home. Also, someone (counselor, maybe?) put it on vibrate instead of audible alarms which I wasn't too happy about. But they did check him a lot, even during the night.

Good luck, I hope she has a lot of fun!:cwds:

4. jbmom1b2g

jbmom1b2g Approved members

We sent Taylor for the 1st time this yr also. It was so weird sitting down at the table to eat when we got back from dropping her off. We didn't have to have the scale out wait for me to count carbs. It was just weird. Hope she is having fun. Mine had a blast and made some friends

5. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

my 9 year old went to camp first time a month ago and had a blast. luckily every night they uploaded 200 photos so it was nice to see her having fun and made me feel better. yes i was very lost the first few days but got over it. the day before i picked her up i was very nervous that she wouldnt want to go home. when i picked her up she was very happy to see me thank god.