- advertisement -

First Cold

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PAULEEN, Sep 10, 2008.

1. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Hi everyone, I have a quick question. My son (12 yrs old) who was dx'd 6 months ago today, had gotten his first cold. What do you give your children? He is old enough and big enough to take adult cold medicine - but I am nervous about it. Thanks.

2. mommyofAx4

mommyofAx4 Approved members

our endo says anything i would have given her before dx is fine

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

In our experience regular OTC cold medications don't have much of an impact on Maddie's bg. For a cold I'd just push lots of fluids, steamy showers, and have him take a decongestant in pill form, if possible.

Hope he's feeling better soon :cwds:

4. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

My experience with sick days is give them what you normally would and test more because sickness can mess with their BG.

5. MommaRetta

MommaRetta Approved members

Stephen just had his first cold too. His numbers ranged from 43 :( to 401 :eek: !!! I think I actually got some more gray hair!

We definately tested more often. I gave him his meds on the hour! His teacher let him keep water on his desk and allowed him to take restroom breaks as often as he needed. He was more tired than your average bear of course. And he slept like a rock. Which scared me a lot. I would go to check him while he was asleep and he was so tired, he didn't even know I had been in there. After a few calls back and forth with his endo and the school nurse and looking up things here on this awesome website, we have learned a lot about how to treat him when he is starting to show signs of getting sick. Not just treating when he actually comes down with anything.

p.s. Grammatical errors are numerous! Sorry..... :cwds:

6. beckybuckley

beckybuckley Approved members

Our endo also says treat the cold like you would before they were diagnosed. I don't worry about how many carbs are in it, because we test blood sugar more often when she's sick. Don't forget to be testing ketones as well. Hope he's feeling better soon!