- advertisement -

First car trip, need some tips :)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by rdhead, May 27, 2011.

1. rdhead

rdhead Approved members

We are traveling out of town for Memorial weekend. It's our 1st trip since ds was dx'd almost 8 months ago. It's only about a 4 hour drive. I was going to put some extra insulin in our ice chest as we traveled but am now worried it might get too cold. We have been using the flex pens to fill the pump res. I have one that's already opened that will be in his d bag, but I am bringing an extra as a "just in case." What would be the best way to store insulin while traveling?

Also, we are planning a hike while gone. Ds has been on the pump for about 6 weeks and it's only been while on the pump that we notice how much exercise affects him. Should I do a temp basal during the hike? (Never done a temp basal before :eek:) Not sure how long we will be gone or the pace at which we will be hiking. Are there any snacks that would better help maintain his numbers? Normally he would just have half of a granola bar for p.e.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. I just want to go into this mini-vacation feeling as prepared as possible! Thanks so much.

2. Teacups

Teacups Approved members

Hi Amy, Can't answer your second Q about the pump, but regarding travel, just bring extras of everything!

We've used FRIO bags with success or just wrapped the insulin in a towel/dishcloth and put it on top of items in the cooler (away from the cold packs). I'd bring the vial you have open, the back-up one and a back-up for the back-up if you have it on hand! Tabs, fruit strips, peanut butter single packs all travel well.

Our first trip was 10 days after coming home from the hospital. It was my inlaws' 50th, so not something we could cancel. I was soooo nervous. But we did fine and you will too! Sounds like you're thinking ahead... the only other thing to do is to have fun!

3. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Are you going to carry a small backpack or something on the hike? I think I'd check BG before the hike and have a small snack (like a granola bar) and then play it by ear. Does he often go low during exercise? You can always suspend the pump if he goes low (and give juice or tabs). Be sure to consider dehydration too - it can cause highs. We like to bring Sweet Tarts on long walking outings; they seem to work well for Lauren and aren't messy.

As for the car ride - Lauren tends to go high on long rides. There was a thread about that very topic within the past week (I think).