- advertisement -

first big trip with diabetes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by zoom8942, May 21, 2013.

1. zoom8942

zoom8942 Approved members

my DS14 was dx in August last year. Hes really had a pretty easy first year as he is honeymooning nicely. last 2 a1c 5.7 so he does tend to run low. Since track has started we have decreased lantus from 21u to 16u and ins carb ratio is down to about 1:30. and he is constantly eating and sipping gatoraide before/during/after track practice. We are getting ready to go to disney world at the end of June. How should I prepare him? He likes to think hes invincible. Not that he doesnt take it seriously, just nothing bad has happened to him yet so he doesnt have that fear. He will be on his own a lot in the parks with a good friend same age. I dont want to smother him, but want him safe. Any advise or experiences are appreciated.

2. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

just be sure he carries some fast acting sugar such as candy which Im sure you already know. There will be a lot of walking. Make sure he also has his BS supplies on him so he could check himself before going on any crazy rides. One time we were at an amusement park and my daughter went on a ride with her sister, I checked her when she came off and she was 50 so I learned my lesson and keep frequent checks while in the parks. I found with my daughter because we were walking around so much and so active her BS weren't high. Also plenty of breaks for snacks & drinks. Gatorade is good to sip on throughout the day, maybe buy a drink holder that has a strap to go around his neck so he will have quick access. We usually bring Gatorade with us when we are at the waterparks. I will have my daughter sip every now and then to keep her at a good level since we are so active.

3. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Well my experience with WDW and diabetes was with a six year old girl. So different from a teenage boy. However here are my thoughts.

Check often, more often than normal
    Take way more supplies than you would normally need for that time period
    Have him carry the basics in either pockets (cargo shorts) or a small drawstring backpack
    Make sure his friends are aware of the signs of hypoglycemia and how to assist him
    Make sure he wears a medical bracelet and carries a cell phone.
    Have him carry a five dollar bill that is not to be used UNLESS he has somehow run out of tabs or whatever he uses to treat and then use it to buy a pop or whatever sugary snack is able to be purchased nearby. Maybe make it a ten, I have no idea what the prices at Disney are like these days but I know they are probably much higher than any other place lol.

I would also make sure he takes the bag on all rides. Sometimes rides break down and you are stuck on them for a while. Wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of a ride with a low and nothing to treat it with.

4. tammy82

tammy82 Approved members

He shouldn't have a problem if he brings his supply bag with him. I went on rides with my big pocketbook and daughter's D bag and never had a problem. They sell all kinds of supply packs if you don't already have one.

5. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

With a 14 yr old on his own in the park with friends I'd drop basal by at least 25% and insist that he check every few hrs and pay close attention to his body. I'd toss in a threat of loss of something he cares about should he return at the end of the day with a meter showing no checks or too few checks.

The heat, the walking, the excitement all add up to possibly serious lows, he needs to understand that. I'd also give him a cheat sheet of estimated carb counts so that he doesn't overbolus for meals.

Good luck!

6. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

DD was in Disney last summer for 10 days with her theater friends. They were literally in the parks from 8 am till midnight. It was August, so really hot. What we did was giving her basal with Levemir, the dosing was very conservative, just so she was able to disconnect for water parks and pools.

Since they were always trying some foods, she had no issues with lows, it kind of balanced itself out with all the walking around. We made sure that her insulin was switched out often, because of the heat. In her little bag she had glucose tabs, testing supplies and syringes. All her friends knew that if she would act weirdly just to give her some sugery soda without asking questions, testing can always be done after she felt better again.

7. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

We went when my kiddo was 14 about 9 months after diagnosis. She likes to go off on her own a lot. She'd just test and text me her numbers. She had a backpack with water and supplies. Have a wonderful time!

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

Just a nice string type pack that he can carry with his stuff should do the trick. Just insist that he carry it and check often. It sounds like he's really active anyway so he might not have any trouble with the extra walking and stuff. And sipping gatorade and eating is a perfectly acceptable thing if he's running low. :)

9. zoom8942

thank you all!! He carries a drawstring bag everywhere he goes. Im forcing him to wear medical ID. thats an issue, but he knows he has to. no option!!! I plan on buying him some gift cards to keep on him for food, and he always has a sports drink/crackers/candy etc. he hates reg pop now. go figure. I know the cold drops him fast, but not sure how hot/humid fl will affect him plus rides. His friend knows all about his D and knows what to look for even though hes never seen it in him.( he has a first cousin that is T1) I thought about trying to make his target BG 140-160? Does that sound reasonable? Hes notorious for running 70-90 so it would take some work to get him up. His Lantus is at 16u and right now we are doing about 1:40 on the carb ratio due to his activity. LIke the idea about taking something away for not testing. He doesnt like to test alot because he has been stable.

10. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

just a heads up, I know the first time I went to an amusement park after d (still in my honeymoon) I didn't need any shots ALL DAY. It was actually great, we bought food every few hours and I just kept eating and checking, never went over 150=D even though I ate kettle corn, Ice cream, a hamburger. So make sure he has lots of food (or access to lots of food, I like the gift card idea)

11. zoom8942

I was thinking about not needing any insulin when we are at Disney. I have him down to 14u of Lantus now and he is still down to a couple units of insulin a day. maybe 1 at lunch and 1-2 with supper. He is so active right now with track and warm weather. Seems like he goes low real easy these days. I guess I play it by ear for the next month. Track was over yesterday( 3rd in pole vault Division 2 middle school state!!!! very proud) but hes doing track club and junior olympics in June, and lifting for football. Dont want him low at Disney, problem is I cant even get him up past 140, ever. He hangs out in the 80-90 range 75% of the time. May have to keep cutting back his Lantus.

12. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Much less insulin is a great idea while honeymooning. I insisted DD text me her BG's every couple of hours at that age. It required constant reminders from me as she tends to forget all about D when she is having fun.

13. swimmom

swimmom Approved members

Watch out for dehydration too. It can cause my daughter to go high (but then we have to be very careful correcting for it; we re-hydrate and are very conservative about correcting). Dehydration during the day can cause wonky #s at night too.

Hope you have fun!!