- advertisement -

First A1C Results

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by PAULEEN, Jul 8, 2008.

1. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Hi everyone, I just got my son's first A1C results of 6.9. My Dr and CDE say this is "excellent". :) Maybe I am too new at this to fully understand totally - but I've been thinking...for the first two months we had a lot of lows - at least 2 a week (lows in the 40's :eek:) then the third month we started running ranges on the higher scale even some high 300's. Yes our honeymoon is now over :( Would the low numbers not 'average' out the high numbers giving us a good A1C? Making this not really "excellent"? I guess I'm feeling kind of guilty because we really did not strive for a good A1C when first dx'd our main goal was to just keep him alert and feeling better. Now, of course (that we've become somewhat pros:rolleyes:) we want to make sure that his next A1C will be good (hopefully excellent) but not expecting it. We are also going to be starting the pump in August so will we really have another good A1C in Sept? Am I making any sense? Thanks for 'listening!'

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I think it is healthier to get a good A1C with low glucose variability vs a low A1C through averages of lots of highs and lows. It's good you're asking this question because many endos neglect glucose variability in terms of a good A1C.

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

Our endo tells us that as long as the child is not having more then two hypos - below 60's - then everything is ok.

Also keep in mind that the last month of the A1C carries more influence on the # then the prior two months - it is less an average for 3 months, and more a weighted average.

I think that your A1C is great, and having so few lows and a few spiked highs - well, believe it or not, many of us wish that our #'s looked like that!

4. Gwyn

Gwyn Approved members

I think that is a great number--pat yourself on the back, you deserve it!

Of course there will always be a few unexpected lows and highs for kids even with the best intentions and being super diligent. I think we'd all love to see steady numbers all the time, but life certainly gets in the way sometimes!

5. MelissaC

MelissaC Approved members

That is a great A1c - i personally would love to have an A1c like that!!! We are nowhee near that and we have lows and highs mixed all over the place..

Dont doubt yourself - as long as your child is feeling well your doing great!

6. Hollyb

Hollyb Approved members

First of all, please don't feel bad for not targetting a good A1c right off the mark. Your initial goal -- to get your son feeling better and master the basics of treating him -- was absolutely the right one. First things first, you know?

Yes, the lows and highs do sort of "cancel each other out" -- so your A1c doesn't tell you if the numbers have been up and down or really steady. Your log will fill in that info. One thing we pretty much all learn as the honeymoon ends, though, is that really steady numbers are not a realistic goal for most kids. We do our best 9and some do really well), but a certain amount of up and down is "normal," especially at this stage. They are growing and their insulin needs are changing, their hormone levels fluctuate, they respond differently to different foods, they run around all day and the next day lie on the couch, they get sick -- you can't control it all.

So be happy with your 6.9 -- it means you're off to a great start! And if your child's A1c is up a bit next time because of a rough pump start, don't sweat it. You know the reason and it's a temporary one. Just keep plugging away.

7. jendean

jendean Approved members

Nolans first A1c was 5 something. He did get a lot of lows with that.

The best way to tell overall is to keep track on your own, and test often.

:) Good luck, and yes, that is a great a1c!

8. PAULEEN

PAULEEN Approved members

Thank you everyone for your kind words! I guess I just felt that we don't really 'deserve' the good A1C when we really didn't try. But now 'listening' to all of you it helped me to feel better and say YEAH!! We did a great job! :D
    Thanks again!

9. Judy&Alli

Judy&Alli Approved members

Great job on the A1c! Celebrate it! I would!!!:D:D:D
    Judy:D