- advertisement -

Finishing meal in half an hour?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lakeman, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

When we were first diagnosed we were given instructions to always finish meals within half an hour of starting. How two years into things I have learned that some of the advise were were first given needs to be reconsidered.

So what was the reason we were given that advise? And it seems to me that since most of her food acts kind of fast and the insulin works a bit slower that it might be good to take some time to eat?

Basic stuff but I just want to think about it.

2. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

In the Type 1 University class on pregnancy, Gary Scheiner advises to eat part of the meal after pre-bolussing and then to save part of it to eat an hour later because striking the spike during pregnancy is so vitally important (spikes aren't to be above 140!!!). Learning that has changed our worry about food being consumed quickly. I've really changed from the panicky "get food in her the minute the shot is given approach."

3. Lee

Lee Approved members

I haven't ever heard that. If anything, we prebolus about 20 minutes (or try to) to try and have the insulin and the food strike at the same time.

4. sooz

sooz Approved members

Perhaps the eat in thirty minute advice is given to someone who is not sure how much their child will eat during the meal, and waits til after the meal to give the insulin? I think parents of toddlers might be given that advice. I didn't notice how old your child was at Dx.

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

If you read his signature, you will see his daughter was dx'd at age of 6.

ETA: Oops, I misread the signature. I thought it said dx'd at 6.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  6. caspi

caspi Approved members

I haven't heard of this. We were told to prebolus for 15-20 minutes as often as we could but were never he had to eat within a half hour of starting. Not that we could ever have that issue -- my son seems to be like a vacuum cleaner when it comes to meals, lol! :D

7. sooz

sooz Approved members

I did look after I posted, but I didn't notice it before I started the reply, at which time his signature was not visible on my iPad.

8. bandmkolb

bandmkolb Approved members

My son was dx at 8 and was told to check sugar and finish eating within 30 minutes. I was told to bolus after because I won't know how much he will eat. He is now 9, a little over a year later, and the CDE asked the other day, "ok your still bolusing after right". As if she expected it. I bolus before because it is easier with the pump. However it's like seconds before. I need to try harder to bolus and wait a few minutes. Even with a nine year old it is hard to know what he will eat. And when I ask him if he thinks he can eat it all he gets mad and says "I don't know!":rolleyes:

9. Knittingfor4

Knittingfor4 Approved members

They did tell us that would be best, to give 30 min. and no more. To take away any food left after that and give the shot. But she was only 3 then and I told them that wasn't going to work so they just let it go. I do see a post meal spike though. Not sure if maybe an older child can be convinced to go along with the 30 mins.

10. coni

coni Approved members

We were told 30 minutes as well, but it's because of the type of insulin being used (Novolog) and the fact that we bolus after meals. I always understood the rationale to be to coordinate food and insulin action. If you take a long time to eat and bolus after the meal, BGs will be high because the food has raised the BG before your insulin has a chance to work. The higher BGs will require more insulin to come down. Of course, the "rule" doesn't make sense if you pre-bolus or use an insulin that allows grazing.

I think the 30 minutes to eat is basic, general advise to guide the majority of patients (kind of like "eat 15 carbs and check in 15 minutes" if low). Posters on this board understand the nuances of D care, so the rule doesn't really make sense. From the endo's point of view, however, I can't imagine accurately figuring out carb ratios if the meals weren't consistently eaten in a timely manner and bolused. Consistency helps when looking for patterns. But, again, I think it's general advice that doesn't necessarily apply to a more sophisticated patient.

11. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I think that when folks are newly dxd the hospital staff just passes aslong all this bs because they've been passing it along for ages and after all, what really happens in most dx situations? Assuming your kid isn't in DKA, most of us got 48 hrs in the hospital and were discharged with a vial of insulin, a handful of syringes and a stack of prescriptions. The staff has to toss out some parameters, some principles of the new order to make us feel like this insane thing that has just happened, which is up to us to manage and fix (on our own) is do-able.

12. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

What we do is bolus around 20g 15 minutes before a meal (unless her BG is less than 90-ish) and then bolus for whatever else she ate during or after she's done. Our dd is 8, and this works really well.

13. sheeboo

sheeboo Approved members

We were also told that meals needed to be consumed within 30m. At our first follow-up I pressed the CDE because our daughter is a very sloooowwww eater, and the "hurry up and eat" thing was our main point of stress post-dx. What I suggested, and she agreed was fine, was to pre-bolus but make sure that our dd ate something with faster-acting carbs within that first half hour, and then let her take her time with the rest of the meal.

What works for us is to have N take a few sips of milk, or a few bites of fruit about 15 minutes after her bolus. That way, her BG doesn't plummet if she eats slowly. Now that she wears a CGM, it's even easier to keep an eye on what's going on with BG.

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Sounds like old, out-dated, one size fits all, advice. I am glad I was never told to do that.

15. wilf

wilf Approved members

As long as you're giving the insulin before the meal, then there is no reason to rush the meal. :cwds:

16. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

Thank you all for brainstorming on this with us.

Yes at the time we were given that advice we were also bolusing after meals. At some point we were instructed to start pre-bolusing but never told not to eat everything within 30 min. On our own we have been disregarding the 30 min advice but I always felt odd about just ignoring it.

Now that things are clearer I know why to ignore that. I may even start holding off some of the meal so that at times when we bolus just before eating at least some of it can be pre-bolused.

17. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We try to do that to keep insulin and food timing ok. If we are going to have a long meal (such as a buffet), we do partial boluses along the way. The biggest thing I have found is that if it takes more than an hour to eat, if we use the same carb ratio at the end of the meal as we do the beginning, she goes low - we actually have to reduce insulin dose at the end of the meal - we call it "buffet stacking"

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We were told to give the insulin at the 30 minute mark because most kids diagnosed at my daughters age (4) will have finished eating then and then move on to just fiddling around with the food. For us, this was very true. At 30 minutes, she was done.