- advertisement -

Fingersticks with Dex 4

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by katerinas, Feb 6, 2013.

1. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

So how many fingersticks do you do with Dex 4 per day?

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Depends on the day, the reliability of the sensor at that point, how stable he is, etc. I'd say an average of 4 when things are going well.

You must do 2. You should verify any highs or lows. I think the sensor is most accurate after the first 2 days, so for those first 2 calibrate often.

Interested to see what others have found/are doing.

3. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

We do probably between 6-8. We do one every "before meal", so there is 3 right there. We do one before we go to bed, so that we can calibrate before that. After that, its on alarms. So, 4 are guaranteed, and 6-8 is more common.

4. Mish

Mish Approved members

we really have days now where it's 6. I'm amazed to even be saying that. It's just so dead on accurate at highs, and at lows.

We also find that it takes the first day to get it into a groove but after that it's amazing.

5. swellman

swellman Approved members

On good, school days it's around 6-8 depending on PE and what's for dinner. If it's a dinner that might cause elevation after bed then it could be around 10. Stubborn highs gets us around 12 a day.

6. Olivia'sDad

Olivia'sDad Approved members

4 on good days, 6-8 on days with heavy fluctuations. Anytime Olivia is > 210 or < 70, or raising/falling rapidly the accuracy is off, any other time is near perfect after day 1.

What's great is that in each of those circumstances, it's not the exact number that we really need, it's the knowledge that she is over 210, under 70, or moving rapidly...and the G4 does tell us that with near perfect reliability. It's really an incredible device.

7. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I've been really impressed with the accuracy. We've had her spot on, to the number, on day 13. And, as I posted in another thread, her 2 week CGM average was within 2 points of her A1C translation at our appt today, which tells me exactly how accurate it is.

8. Mish

Mish Approved members

Last night was good example: I had 3 separate readings all exact matches. That's the norm within a few points. Every time.

Makes up for the horrid time we had trying to use MM.

9. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I still do a ton but I think it may eventually really reduce them. I also am only using it temporarily and probably couldn't use it for more then a few days at a time due to skin issues.
    I just did my last blood glucose check for the night. Meter: 121 Dexcom: 122. 11 blood sugar tests today and the greatest difference from Dexcom was 5 points with one test (131 vs. 136). All others were +/- 1. And my blood sugars ranged from a low of 39 to a high in the 300s with fast drops and rises in between. This may very well be a fluke and I am pretty sure I have what appear to be 2nd degree burns from the adhesive but I have a lot of hope for the first time that a closed loop system may be possible.

I still think the Medtronic CGM works better for me (and my skin sure agrees) but I have a feeling that the sensor technology is finally getting to the point that a closed loop system is not just a dream.

PS: While typing this it alarmed HIGH. Meter: 139 Dexcom: 141. SO COOL!

10. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

We're 6-8 as well. 5 of them are for meals, so it's only a few more out of that range, and it's usually if Dex alerts of a low, or at bedtime.

We don't ever dose off Dex, but will always do a BG check to confirm.