advertisement

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finger wipes

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Anja821, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

I'm not sure if I should post this or not, but I put this in the hands of the higher powers that be :D

I've contacted a company about creating individually wrapped finger wipes for diabetics. The name for my product would be Sugar Free Fingers. Basically, this wipe would be similar in size to an alcohol wipe so it can easily be stored in our meter packs so we can always have something compact on hand to clean a finger for a check. The product is alcohol free.

The big question - Is there a large enough market out there that would justify the expense? You'd think as a business major in college, I'd have figured this out by now, but hey, I've been out for 10 years and I'm a mom. I've lost some brain cells along the way.

I would greatly appreciate your feedback on this idea. I haven't worked up a price, but a box would have to be comparable to a box of alcohol wipes.

Is this worth pursuing? (Oh, and if anyone wants to take this idea and run with it, it'll cost ya :p)

Thanks in advance for your honest opinions!!!

2. AlisonKS

AlisonKS Approved members

I would love that since we do go out and about a lot, we use alcohol wipes when we do that and they dry his fingers out so bad! I thought there was already something out there like that but it was pretty expensive.

3. iluvmhp

iluvmhp Approved members

I have already seen these marketed. Actually someone on this board uses them. No alcohol, in wipe form.

so, your idea was a good one!

4. MyAngelEmma

MyAngelEmma Approved members

Sounds like you are on to something here! I think it is a wonderful idea. Would they disinfect and would they be made not to leave behind any residue that would skew a reading?

5. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

We use these, and love um...
    [​IMG]

Here is where you can buy them or get a cost comparison
    http://www.diabete-ezy.com/

Regarding the family that makes this product, Dad has D, and three of the 5 children (if I'm not mistaken).

6. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

I know this is really horrible, but I don't always clean her hands prior to a bg test. If they're pretty clean, and she hasn't been dabbling in dirt or sugar stuffs, I don't wipe them down before lancing. :eek:

Ragnar Hanas also states that the likelihood of infection from a finger lancing is very very small. Now, if she does get her hands dirty and we're out and about, I'll wash them in a public restroom, or if none is available, then I will use an alchohol wipe or a seventh generation baby wipe.

However, the seventh generation baby wipes are great and do not affect the BG value for us. They are also non-drying. It's a non chorinated, non scented hypo-allergenic baby wipe. You can find them online or at Whole Foods.

7. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

Will the person who uses these please stand up? LOL I'd love to know the cost and where to get them.

8. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

No disinfect, just essentially a baby wipe packaged smaller.

9. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

whew... you had me scared on this. Fortunately, they are located in Australia. I can compete with them for the US market :)

10. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

Do you get these in the US? What do you pay for shipping?

11. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Already posted.

Raising my hand:D

CCsMom (holly) & Mama2H (nicole) use them also.

12. Abby-Dabby-Doo

I don't have any idea. I plan on ordering again real quick before school starts. She's got LOTS of specials going on right now.
    I like the fact that she's a mother of 3 diabetic children and a spouse to a diabetic.

Edited to Add: I checked the web site, and her specials aren't listed, they must be for returning customers.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  13. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

We use them for Tyler. We can buy them at the Diabetes shop here in Auckland or direct from the Diabetes supply company that imports them from Australia.
    We love them and use them for middle of the night testing, in the car and they are were great when we went on our overseas trip earlier this year. We also always have a couple of boxes in his emergency kit for when we are out and about.

14. Mama2H

Mama2H Approved members

We use them also. Wouldn't her product be protected by international copyright? I would think you would still have to pay a royalty to use the idea since she already has it. Not trying to be a bummer but I believe that she has some rights to the idea. I believe international copyright works the same as in the US

15. Seans Mom

Seans Mom Approved members

$6.95 starter and minimum $5.50 shipping is much more expensive than baby wipes (we use) or alcohol wipes. Prices are AUD, australian dollars

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  16. kiwimum

kiwimum Approved members

While I agree that they are more expensive than just plain wipes, because we only use them for specific occasions, they last forever.
    We got some free samples about a year ago. We were given 4 starter kits (1 box and 4 refills in each kit).
    Last week we finally had to buy some. We don't think they lasted too bad, considering we went overseas for 6 weeks and used them nearly every day.
    And we were told at dx to stay away from wipes but these ones are made specifically for Diabetes and our hospital actually recommends them.

17. PixieStix

PixieStix Approved members

Once a month I sit down and cut a bunch of alcohol-free, unscented baby wipes into eighths (same size square as alcohol pads). Then daily we refill a plastic baggie that is 2"x3" (sold in craft stores) with a supply of finger wipes for the day. The baggie fits right in w/ his meter, so he always wipes off his finger before every check. He would actually wash his hands w/ soap & water if soiled or have sugar on them. This works really well for us and is very inexpensive.

18. Anja821

Anja821 Approved members

I imagine the copyright is with their packaging and formula used for the wet solution, but not the idea of using smaller wipes in convenient packaging. It is worth checking into, though, so I appreciate your advice.

19. CC'sMom

CC'sMom Approved members

We use them and love them. She doesn't use them every time, but they are prefect for basketball, school, in the car...on the go kind of stuff. I don't remember the shipping being too bad. And like Lanae said, she runs specials all the time.
    If you decide to market your own here in the USA, let me know! Best of luck!

20. saxmaniac

saxmaniac Approved members

Nope, can't copyright objects. Usually patents work on things like this.

Patents cover very specific implementations of an idea. It may be patented, but the idea of a "small wipe" isn't not very difficult to achieve. It would be as silly as McDonald's patenting a "hamburger", as there's nothing very difficult about sticking some meat on two slices of bread.

What's patentable are very detailed things, like unique chemical formulas, etc., so if you decided to have a chemist reverse engineer the actual content of the lotion and duplicate exactly that, and it was patented, you might have problem.

You also can't use their name - which would be trademarked.

You also can't use their specific artwork and packaging - which would be copyright.

Confused yet?? Business is crazy.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008