- advertisement -

Finger Pricking

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lize, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Lize

Lize Approved members

Hi to all. I am really sooooooooo glad I found this website! Can anybody pls give me some advise? Alicia was diagnosed 5 months ago and already her fingers are "black" from the pricking. Is there a cream or something to use to make this better? I'm just thinking that if this is what her little fingers look like after 5 months, how is it going to look after a few years?

2. MadeleinesMom

MadeleinesMom Approved members

What gauge of lancets are you using? We use the B-D ultrafine 33 gauge. They seem to alleviate some of the black marks.

3. Lize

Lize Approved members

I'm not sure - I know it's the One Touch Ultra Lancets.

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ok, I don't think this should be happening so soon after, but I am sorry it is.:(

I would switch to the Multiclix poker, if possible.

Also, use the lowest setting. Poke the sides of the fingers.

You can also give the fingertips a break and use the toes (maybe overnight??) or an alternate test site (ast):

http://childrenwithdiabetes.com/ast/wheretest.htm

I think most pokers come with a plastic accessory to help with ast. Check if your poker has this and try the base of the thumb area.

Good luck!!

ETA - oh, there are these:

http://www.tiniboy.com/

but you have to check if they are compatible with your poking device.

5. Lize

Lize Approved members

I'll see if I can get one here. It seems South Africa is a bit behind... But thanks for the alternatives - we'll try it over the weekend. I also find the fingers to be a bit hard. Is this because of the pricking?

6. StillMamamia

Ooops, forgot to actually answer your question.:eek:

I'd rub some hand cream (Neutrogena for sensitive skin is a good one). Not a whole lot, just a tiny bit, and rub it at night. Maybe alternative a finger a night, until the hard skin softens. Usually after a bath, the skin is also better. Maybe soak the hands a bit each day in soapy water until the tips look better.

7. StillMamamia

Yes, callouses. Try to let one finger rest for a few days and alernate with the others, then let another one rest. Moisturize the resting finger and so on. Should work.

But be sure you are using the lowest setting and not pressing too hard either. Just enough.

I know each kid is different, but we're still on the lowest setting and dx was over 3.5yrs ago.

Oh, maybe it helps to change the lancet everyday for now. Or maybe you already do that. (we don't:eek::eek:) but if you find yourself having to push too hard to get blood out, it may be the lancet is just dull.

8. Lize

Lize Approved members

Thanks - we'll start tonight! I bought tissue oil - think it will help?

9. StillMamamia

I have no idea, as I don't know what tissue oil is.:eek: Is it like baby oil?

10. Lee

Lee Approved members

I just wanted to say that we saw the dots on her fingers for about the first year - just like you described. Now 4 years + into it, it seems like her skin has adjusted and we only see holes after hours in the water.

11. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

VITAMIN E OIL would help. It will help her fingers heal faster, and will make them softer.

12. Lize

Lize Approved members

Thanks - that is what we call tissue oil over here. I have started using it and I sure hope it works!