- advertisement -

Finding the ~reasons~ for increased basal needs on workdays....

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by GChick, Oct 24, 2014.

1. GChick

GChick Approved members

Backstory: Workday vs weekend basal needs
    I had a job that perpetually made me anxious and I was almost always stressed. During that time I noticed that on work days I had increased basal needs (than my weekend needs) from about 8:00pm until lunch the next day when it dropped back to "weekend needs" for about 2 hours then increased again until about 5:00pm (knockoff time) then went back up at about 8:00pm.

4 day weekends to a week long vacation- basal requirements were the same as "weekend" needs.
    Your average weekend could consist of a slight increase in activity (which I'd then need to actually reduce/eliminate basal for) or absolutely nothing more than lounging on the couch (which is what the "weekend basal" settings were based on anyway and as such were fine). My average workday consists of more "activity" than my average Sunday for instance.

Between jobs, I took off a solid month - During that whole month, my basal requirements were my usual "weekend" requirements... to the point that I had to actually reduce my overall basals. So that, I thought, confirmed that the stress was the culprit, and if I liked my new job, I'd be good to go!

Now I'm at my new job - ZERO stress. They are the most mellow people I believe I have ever worked with.
    But here I am again. 8-12% increased basal needs (which is actually more than the last jobs workdays required) from the hours of 8:00pm-4:00pm the next day with a reduction to "weekend" requirements only from about 4:00pm to 8:00pm.

What is it about a low-stress environment that is work... that makes me need more basal??? Even when compared to lounging on the couch?

I've been doing it through temp basals for literally months because I keep thinking "oh, it'll go back to normal". Guess I should just bite the bullet and make the changes more permanent in my various profiles.

I have to do what I have to do to make it all work... but does anyone know what might cause something like this? Is there maybe even just something simple about my process that makes workdays different? Could something like tucking the tubing in my pants (which I don't do near as often for near as long on weekends) have something to do with it? But then again, I don't tuck it while sleeping either so that still wouldn't make sense. Or do you think it's just the "stresses" (which there aren't any) of your average workday that cause this?