- advertisement -

Finding part-time childcare help?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by cem, Sep 17, 2008.

1. cem

cem Approved members

We are trying to find someone to help watch our toddler for a few hours during the week. Unfortunately, we are finding that family and friends no matter how well-meaning are just too unreliable. We would welcome any ideas as to what types of persons might be suited for this type of thing and the best way to reach them. Definitely feels like looking for a needle in a haystack but we are just that desperate for a break!

2. Abby-Dabby-Doo

Abby-Dabby-Doo Approved members

If it's during the day- high schoolers or college kids would be out of the question.
    I don't know how big of a town you are in, but we are VERY happy with our daycare. It's along the lines of AppleTree Preschool, the bigger business ran daycare facilities.

3. bgallini

bgallini Approved members

You may be able to find a family child care provider who is accepting part time children. Family child care providers run a child care out of their own homes and accept anywhere from 2-12 children but usually they seem to have about 6 kids. You can find a referral agency in your area by looking at this site http://www.naccrra.org/. You may also be able to find someone by looking in your local newspaper under Child Care or on Craigslist.

If you can, I think it's best to talk to the providers before totally ruling them out over price. Also think ahead of time about what hours you want to have and if you are flexible about hours (ie do you have to have only Mon and Wed mornings or is any morning ok).

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have about how to find child care.

4. ccarrol4

ccarrol4 Approved members

Where are you located? Maybe someone on here can offer some help if they are near you.

5. coni

coni Approved members

If you have a local college - especially if they have a nursing or CNA program - I suggest advertising in their newspaper. If you go to church, I'd put the word out there as well. Don't forget to tell family and friends that you're looking...they may know a friend or friend of a friend. I know it's hard! Good luck.

6. SGHanna

SGHanna Approved members

if you're near my area, i'm happy to help.
    i already babysit kids with diabetes.

i know a lot of people go to diabetic groups and that's a good way to meet sitters who are diabetic themselves.
    that's how i got a lot of the people i babysit for.

7. cassie

cassie Approved members

Where are you?

I haven't used this option yet but have been told I could go through our Endo. If you were near us, we'd be willing to help lol.

I found the same thing about people being unreliable. I let Megan go to disney world with my aunt who is T1 and she was at 3-400 the WHOLE time.

8. sammysmom

sammysmom Approved members

Call your endo and ask if there are any parents willing to babysit another D child. I watch children and get many referrals from Sam's endo office. Right now I have 2 in my house.