- advertisement -

Financial Benefits for Canadian Families (focus on Ontario)

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by wilf, Feb 22, 2010.

1. wilf

wilf Approved members

The Child Disability Benefit gets paid out by the Federal government to Canadian Families in all provinces.

You're maybe talking about being able to deduct the "Disability Amount" from the provincial part of your income taxes. I know you can deduct it in Ontario, that would be sad if you can't in Manitoba. Maybe something to lobby for!

My understanding is that the federal amount can be deducted from the federal part of your taxes at least until your child is 18..

2. zapsmom

zapsmom Approved members

MMMM, I may have read the article wrong at the diabetic clinic when they posted it. I will have to double check. Thank you.

3. Snowbound

Snowbound Approved members

4. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Thanks for the great information Wilf. Just sent off my form to the Endo to complete and get the ball rolling.

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

This is available to Children and Adults accross Canada, Adults need to write an explicit letter, to prove they spend more then 14 hours a week on self D care, and you have to prove you have Type 1 every 3 years:eek:

6. wilf

wilf Approved members

Well, it shouldn't be that hard to prove but it is a funny thought - what do they think, that it's going to go away like Halle Berry's did?! :rolleyes:

7. Connie(BC)Type 1

Every 3 years I write a detailed report and boy do I detail it, from pulling out a site, to getting rid of bubbles in the resevoir, they want me to prove it I will, and they don't count travel time, or food prep time!! Crazy, so I embellish a bit! :D

8. Deal

Deal Approved members

Thanks Wilf. We have not looked into any of these things but with tax season sneaking up this is a great help.

9. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

I just got the form back from the Endo today and he wrote on the form "Child will not meet the DTC eligibility after age of 15 years":(

Anyone else had this?

10. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

My son is getting the DTC and he is 21. He has been okayed until 2011 - then he will have to re-apply.

11. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

I really don't think it's up to the Endo to decide who meets the eligibility. All he/she needs to do is fill out the form. The approval is given by the government.

That's some nerve from the Endo. :eek:

12. wilf

wilf Approved members

Endo is wrong :), see the above post with the Canada Revenue info..

13. Mary Jayne

Mary Jayne Approved members

14. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

Thanks Mary Jayne - it does look like that is what he is going on. Oh well - we'll worry about it again in 6 years.

15. mcleodja

mcleodja Approved members

From what I have seen, any of us who want to claim the DTC after age 15 will have to appeal and fight it because it is CRA's agenda to disallow this just like 6 years ago it was very difficult to get the DCT approved. I had to appeal and win. There has been a change in the way CRA interprets this.

Changes to the Disability Tax Credit For Pediatric Diabetes Care in Manitoba
    This Notice is Sent to You on Behalf of the DER-CA Team
    Wondering why this credit is becoming so hard to get? As of March 24, 2009, there has been a reinterpretation of the Disability Tax Credit.
    Under the new national guidelines, children will qualify up to and including the taxation year in which they turn 16 years of age.
    Children will be eligible after their 16th birthday only if they have a cognitive impairment which would make them incapable of making independent insulin adjustments.
    If you have any concerns with these changes to the eligibility requirements to the Disability Tax Credit, you are advised to contact your local Federal Member of Parliament (MP) or Revenue Canada, or community diabetes related advocacy groups.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  16. Connie(BC)Type 1

I get the tax credit, but I have to re apply every 3 years and prove I still have Type 1 as well as documenting why it takes more then 14 hours a week to look after myself :rolleyes:
    My application always includes a 5 page letter!

Oh, and I'm 51